Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2020, 05:01   #31

Re: Leopard 50 OR Privilege 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Can you explain the $350,000 worth of options to take a “cruise equipped” B 526 to the $2 mill price tag. And what are the cruise equipped features over base?
I’m not arguing with you, I just want to know because new boat prices and options are usually not published.
Thanks
Bobber
Go to Balances website, click on the Request pricing link, this takes you to a form to fill out some information. Phil’s assistant then will email you a spreadsheet with every factory option. Anyone can walk through it themselves, even if you don’t plan on purchasing. All manufacturers have provided me this, it’s super easy and no big deal.

The costs add up very quickly!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 17:00   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Ordering a new 510 with the options we would choose would be $1.9M USD with today’s exchange rate. A L50P is $1.2M plus about $300k of aftermarket upgrades once you take delivery. A Balance 526 is right at $2M.
You can get a Balance 526 very very well equipped for $1.8mil sail away (or less depending on what you "need"). Sure you may want some additional bells and whistles that may not be included but an extra 200-300k? Are you adding a carbon mast, synthetic rigging, carbon longeron/crossbeam? If so, you won't get those on a Leopard 50.

Price alone isn't apples to apples between a Privilege 510, Leopard 50 and a Balance 526. Vastly different build materials, process, and quality. Leopard 50 is polyester and has a marine ply core in the deck with FRP modules in the build (much heavier). P510 is heavy as well with FRP modules, nice boat but expensive. Balance 526 is epoxy, foam cored (to include all furniture), hand faired and a high level of fit/finish (they use real wood veneers and real glass windows). Plus you can customize the B526 from factory. Sail wise, the B526 will outperform a Leopard 50 all day long (I've sailed both), Same goes for a P510. They're simply designed to different markets with different parameters and focus.

Frankly it's not a fair, straight up comparison. It's like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota (or lexus in P510's case). Nothing wrong with a Toyota/lexus but it's just not on the same as a Porsche. Some may look at a Porsche and say it's not Luxurious enough or it doesn't have enough room...while others may look at a Toyota and say it's not luxurious enough or it doesn't have good performance. At the end of the day all will get you there...but what's most important to you.

Buyers need to figure out what their priorities are (performance, comfort, build quality, reputation, price, etc)...then find the boat that meets most of those (none will ever meet all of them). Compare apples to apples. Price is not the only discriminator, nor should it be.

If the B526 is too pricy and you still want performance and quality you can always step down to the B482...very well appointed boat for $1.3mil.
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:09   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear06 View Post
You can get a Balance 526 very very well equipped for $1.8mil sail away (or less depending on what you "need"). Sure you may want some additional bells and whistles that may not be included but an extra 200-300k? Are you adding a carbon mast, synthetic rigging, carbon longeron/crossbeam? If so, you won't get those on a Leopard 50.

Price alone isn't apples to apples between a Privilege 510, Leopard 50 and a Balance 526. Vastly different build materials, process, and quality. Leopard 50 is polyester and has a marine ply core in the deck with FRP modules in the build (much heavier). P510 is heavy as well with FRP modules, nice boat but expensive. Balance 526 is epoxy, foam cored (to include all furniture), hand faired and a high level of fit/finish (they use real wood veneers and real glass windows). Plus you can customize the B526 from factory. Sail wise, the B526 will outperform a Leopard 50 all day long (I've sailed both), Same goes for a P510. They're simply designed to different markets with different parameters and focus.

Frankly it's not a fair, straight up comparison. It's like comparing a Porsche to a Toyota (or lexus in P510's case). Nothing wrong with a Toyota/lexus but it's just not on the same as a Porsche. Some may look at a Porsche and say it's not Luxurious enough or it doesn't have enough room...while others may look at a Toyota and say it's not luxurious enough or it doesn't have good performance. At the end of the day all will get you there...but what's most important to you.

Buyers need to figure out what their priorities are (performance, comfort, build quality, reputation, price, etc)...then find the boat that meets most of those (none will ever meet all of them). Compare apples to apples. Price is not the only discriminator, nor should it be.

If the B526 is too pricy and you still want performance and quality you can always step down to the B482...very well appointed boat for $1.3mil.
Totally agree with this, having so many good options available makes the decisions on what to prioritize tough. What most people don’t realize is the majority of the people purchasing a luxury item like a boat in this price range , an extra $300k doesn’t really matter. If it does, you probably are buying too much boat.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 15:05   #34

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

We actually wrote offers on a couple of late model Privileges, and the L 48/50 was our second choice. We were thinking long term live aboard cruising etc which made the 'roominess' of both very appealing - then we actually spent some time sailing a couple of heavy prod Cats - ugh - not that pleasant. We are not hard core racers - but comfort of motion and speed (i.e. getting to our destination quickly and avoiding storms) was key as I do get seasick at times. I mean if you want a fly bridge for the anchorage great - but it is hell up there for anything but smooth water motoring. There is a Youtube video of Perf. Cats v Prods and the last scene of a L 48 getting killed v the Perf cat mostly gliding in the same seas is worth a look.
We (as Cayuse) went with an Outremer 51 - there is A LOT of light air sailing and we have done 5Kts on 6kts of wind on a Code Zero and Main. Also the Factory gives you and end to end 2 year warranty and they are ALWAYS available for phone or email and are incredibly helpful. There is speed in safety...check out 'The Sailing Family' - we were on their boat and Seth - who had a Lagoon bought the Outremer.
If money were no object - and I wanted the performance what about an HH 50 or 55?
BTW - get the Electric winches - your hand and back will thank you
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:03   #35

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

I have two Privileges both 2006. One personal (P495) and one a business (P615). They are MUCH more solidly built than the Leopards (especially the newer models). Chartered a couple Leopards (these were built for charter). Enjoyed the sail but I was not impressed by the quality of construction.

Fit and Finish and Overall Construction Materials ? Privilege wins
What boat will fair better over time ? Privilege wins
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:13   #36

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyon View Post
Have you looked at the Xquisite X5 50? From the reviews I have read it seems to be an incredible boat with exceptional technical & warranty support. It is also built in South Africa. Seawind is also bringing out a new Cat' but I think it is 45'. Check out YouTube sailing channel "Cruising Off Duty" he has some good reviews on the Xquisite X5. He also sailed an X5 from Cape Town to the Carribean with a full report. Good luck in your search.
Completely agree about the Xquisite X5. Not my style of boat at all but having looked at a lot around this size I would go with the Xquisite every day of the week over the L50 or P510
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Are these both new boats? The Privileges tend to be made to order while the Leopards are more production oriented although probably the best of that ilk.

If it's a new build, why these two versus an Outremer, St Francis or Knysna? The Knysna 50SE comes in at about a million dollars well equipped and customizable to your tastes. The boats I've mentioned are considered to be very capable open ocean sailors built exclusively by their own yards
I know the Importer for Outremer and sailed his 5X (60’) up the coast with him. He had sailed his boat through the med and them across the ocean. As it has Daggerboards it goes to weather really well. Highly recommend you take at look at their 4X model.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:05   #38

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
If you're building a boat, I'd take a hard look at incorporating Titanium chain plates. For the short term, the stainless will be just fine but since this boat will probably last 50 years or more, subsequent owners would really appreciate the Titanium. It's fairly painless to add them upfront but a bear to do later.
This is the first time I've heard of problems with stainless chainplates. Can you talk more about the issues that arise and the time frame? There are lots of 30 year old Privileges sailing around out there, I haven't heard issues with the chainplates in particular. Thanks.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:32   #39

I haven't heard of chainplate issues with any of the large volume cats. You really need to get to 20 years+ to consider chainplate replacement (inspect more frequently) -- unless they were defective or installed in a way that invited crevice corrosion. There were some monohulls from the 80's that had undersized chainplates that had issues - but even those were well past 10 years.

Since very few buyers keep their boats for 15 years - or even 10 years - chainplate replacement will be the 2nd or 3rd buyer's problem. And you won't get a higher sale price for spending the extra money now.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 22:39   #40

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELENTLESS 1 View Post
There is a Youtube video of Perf. Cats v Prods and the last scene of a L 48 getting killed v the Perf cat mostly gliding in the same seas is worth a look.
Would you mind sending a link? I couldn't find it
Old 13-11-2020, 03:49   #41
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Leopard 50 OR Privilege 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Would you mind sending a link? I couldn't find it

Maybe this one? At 13:40.

https://youtu.be/2paM4zxnf_o
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 06:18   #42

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Maybe this one? At 13:40.

https://youtu.be/2paM4zxnf_o

Three excellent boats and a pretty accurate list of alternatives - down to earth reality without the hype.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 06:22   #43

Passing a mono but still...that thing is fast.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 14:19   #44

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Passing a mono but still...that thing is fast.
And the video description says that the mono was doing 10kn.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 04:12   #45
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

To the OP. Read very carefully what Spear06 said in Post #32. It is spot on.

I know you said you liked the flybridge, but for world cruising, I would try and steer you away from this. Fantastic for charter and pottering around, but not somewhere where I would want to be in the middle of the ocean in snotty weather when the AP has broken.
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, privilege