Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 07:41   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
work hours to build a dodger

True - there is much more work to a dodger than meets the eye, and often a lot of to and fro before the work fits perfectly.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 07:48   #17

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In this little part of the world our "economics" has traditionally worked a bit differently from elsewhere, high cost and full employment = folk both not cheap and also somewhat fussy about what they will do. Like elsewhere though a bit of movement on both those scores in recent times............

How that translates into Sprayhoods (Dodgers) is that a) very expensive and b) a couple of the firms (really 1 man bands) not wanting to do them at all, or begrudgingly.

I was kinda puzzled why this would be (especially as on the face of it good money involved)........but it seems to boil down to that Sprayhoods (Dodgers) are simply a royal PITA, involve leaving the workshop too much (someone has to pay for the travelling time) which could otherwise be spent more productively, take a lot of time (that excludes other jobs) and they can easily involve more work than anticipated (someone has to pay for that)......with the kicker being that no punters ever saying "that's really good value", rather the opposite because the work / skill / time involved is never as apparent as the large sum on the bill.

Possibly an opportunity for someone to sail into these waters every year for a couple of months.........(bit of paperwork involved though, but quite happy to p/ex some help on that..........for a canopy ).
What David says is so true...
and to further the problem, the person with the easiest job and the most money gets moved to the front of the list.. Its not right but thats the way it works..
The dodger, which takes more time, and pays less goes to the bottom of the stack..
A perfect example was a job I did Yeasteday.. Even thou I'm booking jobs 6 to 8 weeks out, A gentelman walked in with a complete inclosure for his power boat and asked to replace the zippers.. while he was here I did a count and there were 19 zippers about 5 feet long.. our rate is 9 dollars a foot or about 45 dollars each to replace..
He said "DO IT"
as I started ripping out old seams the wife went to pick up the replacements...6 hours later, the job finished, and the guy came in a wrote me a check for $855.00.. zippers cost 114......
I walked out of here last night with a cool $750.00 for 6 hours work..
And its not uncommon.......
so the job that I'm not making as much on has not only moved to the bottom of the stack, but it has also been shoved off for another day..
Some work, because its a pain to do is just refused alltogether....
Its just the way it works........................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger