Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 16:51   #1

Is a dry survey okay or should I spend the extra for the wet

I am looking at a 1998 39 foot catamaran that is currently being stored on the hard. This would be a new purchase. The boat appears to be in good shape and it is powered by two fixed outboard engines instead of diesel. I already know I need to replace one of the engines and they are very affordable to do it yourself. The other engine is brand new and has not even been in the water yet.

If I spring for a wet survey then I will have to pay for a haul, blocking fee and seat trial. I will also need to rig all the sails and unfortunately the boat is a 10 hour drive away. Since I am not worried about the engines is it a big deal to skip the sea trial and just rely on the dry survey?
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 17:27   #2

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: Is a dry survey okay or should I spend the extra for the wet

The launch and haul (or visa versa) fee is generally much less than the survey.

The broker will do all the work during the sea trail - your job is to observe and evaluate.

A sea trail will force the vendor to ensure that new engine is commissioned.

You're 10 hours from home with all the associated costs.
A day on the water may be a nice day out.

The sea trail can be a wholly subjective affair.
It can give a contracted buyer an out even if the survey is 100%.
Rucksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 17:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
The launch and haul (or visa versa) fee is generally much less than the survey.

The broker will do all the work during the sea trail - your job is to observe and evaluate.

A sea trail will force the vendor to ensure that new engine is commissioned.

You're 10 hours from home with all the associated costs.
A day on the water may be a nice day out.

The sea trail can be a wholly subjective affair.
It can give a contracted buyer an out even if the survey is 100%.
Thanks for the reply! The engines are two 9.9 Yahama outboards that you can get new for less than 3k and install yourself as they are fixed with steering from a separate rudder system
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 18:53   #4

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
Thanks for the reply! The engines are two 9.9 Yahama outboards that you can get new for less than 3k and install yourself as they are fixed with steering from a separate rudder system
I'd be checking the 9.9 can drive a hull heavier than a planning small boat.
Ask Chotu about gear boxes, prop sizes, cavitation, disappointing performance and fuel consumption.

Hope the deal works for you.
Rucksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 19:11   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Two 10 HP outboards for a 39 ft boat? What’s wrong with that?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:07   #6
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

There are many cats with twin Yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboards.

The only reason I would want a sea trial is to see how she sails etc not to test the engines.
If you are happy with the expected performance and handling then why pay extra for a sea trial? You will get a better survey on the hard.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:18   #7

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we purchased our boat after a dry survey only, and there were a few problems that we only found after we owned the boat (eg the autopilot had a fault)

nothing really significant and we brought at the right price anyway, but i'd recommend a wet survey + test sail before investing any serious $$s

cheers,
Old 11-03-2021, 03:48   #8

Boat: X442

I am no surveyor or broker so I am not actually sure what you are looking for during a sea trial which is not evident with the boat ashore. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Were I to buy a boat (which I did once and will probably never again) I would want to know via opinions how well it sails. Once I know it sails OK (or at least up to the performance I am looking for) then any issues would be due to baggy sails (which you can assess without putting them up) or rigging which is old and decrepit (which is also visible on the hard but won't be an issue until the mast falls down which is unlikely to happen during the sea trial). And so on. So back to the OP, no I would not bother if it looks like it's a hassle & expensive.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:15   #9

Yes, drop her in the water before you give over your money. Be sure she floats and doesn't leak. Use the boat a bit in the sea trial. There will most likely be things that you find that you didn't know by just opening cupboards and looking. Not all will be deal breakers, but could be things the seller will repair. In the context of a deal in the 10's of thousands or more, a couple hundred for a proper survey and sea trial is money well spent.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:43   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
I am looking at a 1998 39 foot catamaran that is currently being stored on the hard. This would be a new purchase. The boat appears to be in good shape and it is powered by two fixed outboard engines instead of diesel. I already know I need to replace one of the engines and they are very affordable to do it yourself. The other engine is brand new and has not even been in the water yet.

If I spring for a wet survey then I will have to pay for a haul, blocking fee and seat trial. I will also need to rig all the sails and unfortunately the boat is a 10 hour drive away. Since I am not worried about the engines is it a big deal to skip the sea trial and just rely on the dry survey?
A wet survey costs MORE? its usually cheaper for a wet survey. They examine less. as they can't examine the bottom of the boat and any of its appendages A survey is normally done out of the water. I think you are confusing a sea trial with a survey. They are 2 different things. If the boat has to e launched for the sea trial then you have to pay for it (both ways) The sea trial is really to verify that the boat functions correctly to find any further deficiencies. depending on the boat I've purchased I've in some cases omitted the sea trial (usually when I know I have projects on my hands) All really depends on what you are comfortable with. What is your level of experience?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:25   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Those Yamaha engines have a garden hose fitting for the water intake so you can test them on the hard. Too easy.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:12   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Is a dry survey okay or should I spend the extra for the wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Those Yamaha engines have a garden hose fitting for the water intake so you can test them on the hard. Too easy.

I believe the garden hose fitting is supposed to be used with the engine not running. If you run the engine while using this setup the impeller is seeing no water and will likely burn up. Better to go old school and use the ear muffs over the water intake.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:54   #13

Generally better to do a sea trial in addition to the survey but generally not the end of the world if everything else checks out (assuming a production boat...if it's a one off, there could be odd quirks).

The motor situation would leave me a bit nervous. Yes, some cats use twin 9.9 outboards but that it usually smaller 35ft and under cats (keep in mind volume and mass go up with the cube of length, so that 4 ft makes a big difference in how much push they need to be able to provide). In calm conditions, they will probably do OK but I would want to make sure the boat can easily do hull speed with some power in reserve in case you need it. Is there space and structural strength to move up to a pair of 20-25hp motors if the 9.9s prove a little weak?

Keep in mind that unless it's specifically spelled out, motors, rigging, sails and sea trail are often not included in the survey. Make sure of exactly what you paid for so you don't get a surprise.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:17   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Generally better to do a sea trial in addition to the survey but generally not the end of the world if everything else checks out (assuming a production boat...if it's a one off, there could be odd quirks).

The motor situation would leave me a bit nervous. Yes, some cats use twin 9.9 outboards but that it usually smaller 35ft and under cats (keep in mind volume and mass go up with the cube of length, so that 4 ft makes a big difference in how much push they need to be able to provide). In calm conditions, they will probably do OK but I would want to make sure the boat can easily do hull speed with some power in reserve in case you need it. Is there space and structural strength to move up to a pair of 20-25hp motors if the 9.9s prove a little weak?

Keep in mind that unless it's specifically spelled out, motors, rigging, sails and sea trail are often not included in the survey. Make sure of exactly what you paid for so you don't get a surprise.

It’s a PDQ 36 with 3’ stern extensions, the 9.9’s are the original motor specs
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:22   #15

Boat: 29 ft

It is for you (and the broker / seller) to decide / negotiate. Perhaps with (for you) advice from the surveyor (if you have one).

As for me, I would say a dry only survey is way better than a wet only survey. Ideal is both of course. Less than ideal normally means compensation through price. But that then again depends on the market situation. About the sailing performance etc. - you likely can find out through the internet.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey