Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 08:39   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 41 CC
Re: Is a dry survey okay or should I spend the extra for the wet

Wet portion very important. As was already stated , you gotta be sure she floats. Its amazing the features you will notice underway. Good luck either way.
Finalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:41   #17

I think you can do it without a splash. You can run most outboards with a hose if you really want to. Some you can run, I dont know if there are some that you cant, never heard that. But all will run with a big bucket of water or those muffs that clamp on the engine intake.

It's harder to assess the sails if you cant get them flying. In the water you may find loose knocking rudders or etc, so think about the things you want to check closely that are effected by not splashing. Depth sounder cant be checked.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It’s a PDQ 36 with 3’ stern extensions, the 9.9’s are the original motor specs

I went back thru and didn't see anything from the OP about a specific model.

If it is a PDQ 36 with extensions, then yes my concerns with engine size would be largely addressed as the extensions wouldn't add any significant windage or hydrodynamic drag.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:03   #19

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

Definitely insist on a sea trial. A really good surveyor I had in Florida protected me from the seller's broker trying to talk me out of it. In the sea trial the surveyor insisted on running the engine up to full speed and when we did, he examined the dripless seal on the drive shaft and discovered it was spewing seawater into the engine room. This indicated a bent drive shaft which would not have been discovered without the sea trial. I ended up walking way from this boat and got my deposit back too. Who knows how long the shaft had been bent, and what wear and tear it had caused on the engine over years.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:09   #20

Boat: Pearson 10M

If the price of this decades old catamaran is low enough that you can afford new sails, new outboards, new standing and running rigging then by all means skip the in the water trial.
Have you unfolded the sails and inspected them? Are there mouse holes in the sails?
Are the halyards chafed through? Are the masthead sheaves frozen?
and so on and so on.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:11   #21

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Those Yamaha engines have a garden hose fitting for the water intake so you can test them on the hard. Too easy.
The hose is to flush the engine with the motor NOT running. It will provide lube to the water pump though but you can over heat the motor running it on a hose (but it takes about 35 minutes). Ear muffs are a better way to do it.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:17   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
If the price of this decades old catamaran is low enough that you can afford new sails, new outboards, new standing and running rigging then by all means skip the in the water trial.

Have you unfolded the sails and inspected them? Are there mouse holes in the sails?

Are the halyards chafed through? Are the masthead sheaves frozen?

and so on and so on.

All the things you mention should be inspected while the boat is out of the water if no in water survey is done.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:19   #23
smj

Is a dry survey okay or should I spend the extra for the wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
The hose is to flush the engine with the motor NOT running. It will provide lube to the water pump though but you can over heat the motor running it on a hose (but it takes about 35 minutes). Ear muffs are a better way to do it.

The Yamaha 9.9 manual specifically states not to run the motor while flushing with the hose as it will damage the water pump as the impeller is not passing water.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:31   #24

Quote:
The Yamaha 9.9 manual specifically states not to run the motor while flushing with the hose as it will damage the water pump as the impeller is not passing water.
Water still gets to the impeller and I have had motors run literally for an hour without any water pump damage. I agree you should not run the motor off the flush port but it won't damage the impeller from my experience. I fix motors for a living (now retired) and have 4 commercial boats that use Yamahas. It won't destroy a pump running it for short periods on the hose. You will see water coming out of the inlet and exhaust when it's running.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:11   #25

Boat: Mirage 33

I would be ok without an in water survey on an older boat if the price was low, BUT I would NOT by a boat of that size without a dry survey. I feel that most anything I can do in the water can be done with a dry survey, sometimes under better conditions than at a dock or mooring. Including inspecting the rigging and most systems. I am not sure what I would only be able to assess in the water that would be a dealbreaker unless you are paying absolute top dollar for a boat with lots of extras and the expectation that nothing is at less than 100% such as a watermaker and a/c. But you can run inboards from a bucket and hose, same for a generator.

Of course this also depends on the price of the boat and how familiar one is with the model in question. If it is a less well known boat or one you are not convinced has the sailing qualities you want, then an in water survey could save you from disappointment and buyers remorse. Far too many people buy boats that sail badly but are really flashy in a slip. Sailing before you buy can help with that.

You certainly do not need to splash a boat to inspect a 9.9hp outboard though, "earmuffs" or a barrel are all you need.
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:32   #26
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Water still gets to the impeller and I have had motors run literally for an hour without any water pump damage. I agree you should not run the motor off the flush port but it won't damage the impeller from my experience. I fix motors for a living (now retired) and have 4 commercial boats that use Yamahas. It won't destroy a pump running it for short periods on the hose. You will see water coming out of the inlet and exhaust when it's running.

This could possibly be true, but I’ll stick to what the manual says as I want to keep my warranty.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:01   #27

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
I am looking at a 1998 39 foot catamaran that is currently being stored on the hard. This would be a new purchase. The boat appears to be in good shape and it is powered by two fixed outboard engines instead of diesel. I already know I need to replace one of the engines and they are very affordable to do it yourself. The other engine is brand new and has not even been in the water yet.

If I spring for a wet survey then I will have to pay for a haul, blocking fee and seat trial. I will also need to rig all the sails and unfortunately the boat is a 10 hour drive away. Since I am not worried about the engines is it a big deal to skip the sea trial and just rely on the dry survey?
Plan to do the sea trial. If the boat fails the hard survey, it's all a moot point. You want to know what condition the sails are in, do the sea cocks work, are there any other leaky points and do the electronics really work? All of this can be repaired after you own the boat but some of it is very expensive - sails and electronics top the list. If everything checks out you probably won't be hauling the boat out again anyway (unless you're leaving it there).
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:04   #28

Quote:
This could possibly be true, but I’ll stick to what the manual says as I want to keep my warranty.
Couldn't agree more but if it's been run with water on the flush, it's probably OK as long as the water supplied is in excess of what the pump is capable of you have plenty of lube in the pump. I'm not saying you should run it this way, a lot of people do. I would disagree that it'll damage the pump but I'm with you, follow the manufacturers manual.
Old 11-03-2021, 13:03   #29

Boat: Volkscruiser

The real question is have you been for a motor on a PDQ cat with twin 9.9hp outboards? I have been involved with more than one survey where the performance under motor has not met the buyers expectations. You need to know for yourself that the cat can maintain some reasonable cruising speed without flogging the motors.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 13:24   #30

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The nomenclature is normally a "out of water survey versus a " in the water survey", the insurance Co. is going to want a "out of water survey normally", the cost is on you, even if you don't purchase the boat, if that would be the case, at least you didn't hafto pay for the haul out, good luck. P.S., after survey, do sea trials.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey