Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2013, 07:34   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: I'm NEW!

Welcome Scarlet -- we were where you are 12 years ago -- we had never been on a sailboat and took the asa courses and 10 years ago bought our first and boat a new Jeanneau DS40 -not know anything about boats and lived in CT at the time and met Ted Novakowski of Sound Yachts (who now sells Lagoon Cats-if in Miami for the boat show he will be there - say hi for us) who taught us how to look at a boat and the difference in various boat - we still worked and we could sail on weekends and try and figure out how to sail and of course the tax deduction for the 2nd house -
at 60 lost my job and while i had offers my decision was to leave at 62 anyway so i did a bit of odd jobs and got SoulMates somewhat ready and at 62 took off - that was 6 years ago - we did the east coast and bahamas a couple of times to try and figure out how to live on the boat and what she needed to really cruise -- we did a ton of upgrades and then headed from fla to mexico - then down the coast to colombia and across the jamaicia then down to trinidad and up to antigua and across the atlantic and now in tunisia

as for cost we published 4 years worth some time ago - do a search on it - and are working on putting out 6 years of data -

good luck and anything we can do to help let us know -- as some on this board know i do have opinions (sometimes strong) but i am old so i get to say that

and Merry Christmas from Tunisia
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 07:52   #32

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: I'm NEW!

Hi Scarlet, great to see your enthusiasm and also to learn of your plans as a couple. A great team on land can make a great team on the water, so the complementarity can really pay off. 4'13" is a clever way to say you're short, I think most of us got that - and you'll be fine! It is always nice to see a wife helping to drive the process, asking questions on forums, taking the classes, learning about the things that matter, and overall taking an active role in boat selection.

And we need more girls here. My wife is pretty disinterested in sailing overall, but loves cruising, and the water, freedom, etc. But I basically singlehand the boat and she rides along. Which is fine, but all the better that you are interested in developing your seamanship. She has picked up important stuff along the way, but prefers to not take an active role.

I want to echo the comments about mastering piloting skills. I don't know the ASA number, and I took Piloting and Advanced Piloting many years ago with the USPS. Look for a power squadron in your area, they may offer some of these classes. They are affordable, and generally well taught, with good materials.

If you master piloting skills (basically coastal navigation), you will avoid much of the trouble new boaters have, and will be confident and prepared when your electronics fail. I have had my chartplotter fail on several occasions, and I know for a fact that many would just stay tied to the dock, not having the confidence to push on without. Last summer I lost my chartplotter singlehanding on the chesapeake, in a gale, overnight. There I was, by myself at the helm, in conditions that overpowered the autopilot and with no monitor installed yet. High winds make paper charts very difficult in the cockpit, and a lack of discipline and focus can easily shred them or send it overboard. Knowing how to read charts allows you to effectively use the aids to navigation (ATONs) and also plot positions. If you are serving as mate, it will be a really valuable skill. Many here do not feel that paper charts are necessary, will be interesting to see what your ASA instructors position is.

Happy Holidays, and best of luck with your adventure. Sure enough, check out US Sail and Power Squadron classes in your area, and you may also meet other sailors.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote