Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2024, 05:56   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: How would you med moor in a high crosswind?

Getting into a tight slip in 25+ kts of crosswind depends on the situation for me, especially if I have a choice of bow or stern first. True med mooring? No way would I try that with that much wind unless I had a boat with a rather large bow thruster. Otherwise there's just no way to have enough control over the bow and it'll have to be done at a speed where there's no margin for error and bailing out without hitting something would be tough.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 06:16   #17

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Responses reassuring. I was thinking there might be some fisherman or charter skipper trick I didnt know.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 06:35   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Responses reassuring. I was thinking there might be some fisherman or charter skipper trick I didnt know.
Lots of practice docking in sub-optimal conditions and getting to know the boat really well will increase the limits somewhat, but a huge amount of crosswind in a situation where you need to control the bow but have limited ability to do so is pretty much the worst case scenario.

I'll happily throw my boat against a face dock with 25+ blowing me off or back into a slip with that much wind behind me, but that kind of wind on or forward of the beam can make things pretty sketchy unless it's bow first into a fairly wide slip (so I can have more choice of approach angle). Our home slip is fairly tight and we back in (boat fits better backed in with that specific slip) and if there's 20+ kts on or forward of the beam I'd need a darn good reason to try getting the boat in or out. And that's with a twin engine powerboat with a lot more thrust available than a typical sailboat, but no bow thruster.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 14:53   #19

Boat: Mumby 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
There's a YouTube called docking cheats that demonstrates using the rudder and spinning on a catamaran for controlling crosswind docking. I've used it for getting off docks when pinned, so it does work. I don't think it would work against 25 kts. https://youtu.be/CUqaCvXLqws?si=fyH4UxIvtel_XxLg
This is a very useful technique for any cat owner to know. I can't say I've ever used it to med moor, but do use it frequently when docking.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:45   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
This is a very useful technique for any cat owner to know. I can't say I've ever used it to med moor, but do use it frequently when docking.
works but only in very light winds.

As for the OP:
Check if the winds are OK inside the slip channel. If its still 20+ forget the apporach and stay outside, or ask for another spot that is more accessible (waiting pier, fueling station, yard, maybe some public quay, ...).

Otherwise just anchor out. 30kn blowing offshore is comfy at anchor. 30kn onshore is OK with a bit of shelter from wind seas. 30kn onshore without shelter isn't nice but also not threatening - unless there is some bigger wind coming your way.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:07   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423

The professionals in the med often do a "Caique" mooring. Great to watch they come in at high speed, dump the anchor about 5 boat lengths out and pivot round it into their slot.
I would practice first.
However what you can do is reverse into the cross wind across. your destination. Drop the anchor 5 lengths out and continue reversing hard against it letting out chain until you have about the right scope to get to your slot, pivot round still hard in reverse and let out more scope to slip gently into the berth. Voila!
I have done this in about 20kts but not 35. You can practice the pivot when at anchor, can be difficult if you have a lot of prop walk.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 14:21   #22

hmmm . . . .

I would think stay at anchor until better conditions. Unless there is some terribly strong super critical reason you have to get on the dock.

If/when I had to, dinghy in a really long (floating) stern line set on the upwind side of the slot, start reversing in from way out, drop anchor a long way out (at max rode distance but it will be awkward if you run out of rode so don't do that), let the chain run with a little friction (if you have the crew, put a bit of set on the anchor as you are backing in and then let it run more freely), keep just enough speed on to maintain some rudder response (easier with a spade rudder than a barn door but possible with both), if you have enough spare crew use the dinghy as an extra thruster (but with only a couple that will probably not be possible), get the stern into the gap under power and then control it from there with the anchor and sternline.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
med, wind