Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 11:08   #91

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: How does a cat become too heavy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Meter - Metre; Liter - Litre . . . lets get it right. O crap. What's the use???

A meter is a device for measuring quantities, distances ... or ?
A liter is a small vessel used to transfer goods or material from a larger ship.

Why is it Americans love to bastardize the English language with their way of spelling?
Oooops, mia culpa ... Definition of lighter. : a large usually flat-bottomed barge used especially in unloading or loading ships.

I found the word 'liter' as referring to a small vessel used for "transfer of materials from a ship" in an old English book (not a dictionary). Either mis-spelled, or a change in spelling from years earlier.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 15:18   #92

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Why is it Americans love to bastardize the English language with their way of spelling?
Hmmm... What do you imagine Chaucer or Shakespeare would think about the way the Brits have bastardized THEIR version of English?

Jim
Old 13-03-2017, 19:48   #93

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Hmm. So what other countries besides the UK that speak english are older than the US? And since the population of the US is larger than that of; the UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, Australia combined, who's the one speaking & spelling oddly?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:52   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Hmm. So what other countries besides the UK that speak english are older than the US? And since the population of the US is larger than that of; the UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, Australia combined, who's the one speaking & spelling oddly?
Well yawl gotta admit Mericans really do rad stuff to our language
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 00:36   #95

Boat: no boat any more

zhat is nozzing! vait until ve are finished wizz your language! we have vais-youall'll hartly reckognizze it any more!!!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:10   #96

Quote:
I really should avoid wikipedia:

In order, countries with most people who speak English:
- USA
- India
- Phillippeans
- Nigeria
- UK

Can't even crack the top 4.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:12   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
zhat is nozzing! vait until ve are finished wizz your language! we have vais-youall'll hartly reckognizze it any more!!!
Germany has almost as many English speakers as the UK coming in at #6.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 02:17   #98

Quote:
yeah, spelling by majority-vote (& a good record voting recently has in the US of A)
Old 14-03-2017, 03:34   #99

Quote:
Go & start taking apart some of the major systems in your car, or your boat's engine & you'll run into both metric, & imperial fasteners.

Also keep in mind that until a couple of decades ago, there were more different types of threads & fastener sizes to be found in Europe as a whole, than types of animals that Noah had on the Ark.
I used to work on racing bicycles in the 80's, & a bit of the 90's, & it was a nightmare what with each country having several different types of threads. And by different types I mean both thread & pitch. This on just one size of bolt or screw alone. And even bolt sizes between countries using the Metric System weren't standardized. This along with the fact that most European countries also used a mix of both Metric, & "archaic" fasteners, & measurements.

Which, you can imagine how much fun that was for car mechanics. Back then you took a Peugot to a Peugot dealer/shop, period. Almost exclusively. For exactly those reasons. Ditto any other brand made in country X, or Y. Yet now it's pretty much 2 types of fasteners, so it's a lot easier for auto repair shops to service most brands out there. Albeit no, fastner continuity isn't the only reason why.
Not sure where this thread is going.

Was Noah's Ark overloaded and did its sailing performance suffer? I'm certain that since its design came from God, that it must have been a catamaran. Leaving the Bible aside, its obvious that Noah's Ark must have been a catamaran. In practical terms, two hulls would be necessary to separate the two genders in order to control procreation and hence further overloading. But I don't wish to get back onto thread topic.

Peugeots (not Peugot) have always used standard metric fasteners, since the late 50's 203 models, at least. Although they do number cylinders in opposite sequence to English and American cars. Unlike God, who specifies boat divine ( sorry "design" )using the cubit system, the French developed the metric system. Probably just to stick it up the English. Although they still designate many designs using feet, eg. Outremer 45. Because the French don't really understand this archaic English system they often get it wrong, eg. FP Lipari 41 is really only 39 feet. Perhaps it should be a "Lipari 26 cubit"? That should sell well with the Christian and Jewish fundamentalist cruising communities.

BTW, i really enjoyed reading your laundry story. It's why we load up our boat with a wasing machine.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 03:42   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I really should avoid wikipedia:

In order, countries with most people who speak English:
- USA
- India
- Phillippeans
- Nigeria
- UK

Can't even crack the top 4.
Fortunately these and many other countries learned the English language from British teachers, not American.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:02   #101

...feet for boatlength actually is ideal: metre is to long (for "our" boatsizes) & centi- or decimetres are to small units
one thought to bolster up the selfesteem of all imperial-system-users:
the jews ended up with an average IQ appreciably higher than the gentile population because they were confronted with adversity for so long. - now the imperial system is adversity, that#s 4 sure...
Old 14-03-2017, 06:15   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

Was Noah's Ark overloaded and did its sailing performance suffer? I'm certain that since its design came from God, that it must have been a catamaran. Leaving the Bible aside, its obvious that Noah's Ark must have been a catamaran. In practical terms, two hulls would be necessary to separate the two genders in order to control procreation and hence further overloading. But I don't wish to get back onto thread topic.
It takes about 6 pounds of feed to produce 1 pound of meat. Assuming you're chucking waste overboard, birthing more animals would result in a lighter payload.

Ergo, the path to a lighter boat involves more sexual activity...

I think this also answers the question of where this thread is going!
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:40   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

Was Noah's Ark overloaded and did its sailing performance suffer? .
And what were the legal implications?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:45   #104

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I use both and have known and used both for over 40yrs. While I'm comfortable in both standard weights and measures are still far more intuitive.

Now if you grew up on metric, I might buy that argument you prefer metric due to familiarity and you could quickly adapt to standard measures.
Nope disagree. When I did my motor mechanic apprenticeship alot of cars I worked on were imperial based, I was comfortable using both everyday ie. Metric spanners and imperial. BUT metric in mho is just more lodgical, a well thought out system.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 14:13   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
Ergo, the path to a lighter boat involves more sexual activity...
An interesting proposition. One that no doubt requires a lot more investigation.

I do know of a cruising boat which is now lighter in weight as a result of increased sexual activity, so your hypothesis has merit. His wife jumped ship as a consequence of an affair.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote