Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 06:03   #1

Haul out or summer storage

Hi we have a 42 Lagoon and are finally retired and spending 6 mo exploring Bahamas. We need to head home for hurricane season. We have been advised to get the boat hauled out or store in Savannah Georgia or North Carolina? Any info on a good place that won't break the bank? We r open to mooring fields, haul out and put on the hard or a reasonable marina slip or anchorage? Next Fall we will most likely head down near Grenada or similar area. Thank u
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:52   #2

Re: Haul out or summer storage

I would look at the historical landfalls on the east coast. North Carolina gets hit A LOT, particularly along the outer banks. Consider South Carolina which takes far less direct hits.

However, South Carolina and Georgia are Low Country, with long stretches of low elevation. Storm surge creates a decent amount of flooding in these areas.

I'd look at where the line is for insurance premiums. Virginia tends to be the cutoff, where further south and the premiums start to increase. (My insurance company won't even write marine policies for boats south of Virginia). It might be more cost effective to consider moving North.

You could also take the boat to New England and spend the summer there.

If you're going to leave the boat, I would have it hauled. If I were in North Carolina or south I would try to get the boat tied down while stored on the hard.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 16:48   #3

Boat: Leopard 45
Re: Haul out or summer storage

Cape Charles yacht club can haul and store your cat. They are awesome! They did an excellent job with our bottom paint. Leopard 45. They took great care of SV FreakNAwesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I would look at the historical landfalls on the east coast. North Carolina gets hit A LOT, particularly along the outer banks. Consider South Carolina which takes far less direct hits.

However, South Carolina and Georgia are Low Country, with long stretches of low elevation. Storm surge creates a decent amount of flooding in these areas.

I'd look at where the line is for insurance premiums. Virginia tends to be the cutoff, where further south and the premiums start to increase. (My insurance company won't even write marine policies for boats south of Virginia). It might be more cost effective to consider moving North.

You could also take the boat to New England and spend the summer there.

If you're going to leave the boat, I would have it hauled. If I were in North Carolina or south I would try to get the boat tied down while stored on the hard.
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, storage