Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 10:33   #31

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Gone with the Wynns' Leopard catamaran

Here's a take.

So you've gotten completely disgusted with your boat. To the point you want to sell it.
Then, you do this beautiful video showing your boats structural issues including your names your boats name and all the other problems you've encountered. Then upload the video to the internet for everyone to see, including the boat buying public i might add.
It would be different if the video was maybe about something like how much a RAYMARINE AUTOPILOT is a piece of crap. Thats not going hurt your boats resale value. Thats on RAYMARINES piece of crap AUTOPILOT.

Just a thought
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 13:25   #32

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Here's a take.

So you've gotten completely disgusted with your boat. To the point you want to sell it.
Then, you do this beautiful video showing your boats structural issues including your names your boats name and all the other problems you've encountered. Then upload the video to the internet for everyone to see, including the boat buying public i might add.
It would be different if the video was maybe about something like how much a RAYMARINE AUTOPILOT is a piece of crap. Thats not going hurt your boats resale value. Thats on RAYMARINES piece of crap AUTOPILOT.

Just a thought
Do they wanna sell it?? Which structural issues did they show ?
I just saw the life raft hatch Problem which isn’t structural at all. They said they need to check the structure further more.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 18:44   #33

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Which structural issues did they show ?
Surely I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow at the spontaneously cracking window?

When we were watching that, wife and I looked at each other and both said at the same time, hull is flexing, that's no good, structural issues.
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 18:53   #34

Boat: Hunter 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
Surely I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow at the spontaneously cracking window?

When we were watching that, wife and I looked at each other and both said at the same time, hull is flexing, that's no good, structural issues.
The hull is likely supposed to flex. They have reset their windows a few times I believe. If they did a minor chip on the edge that might be a start point for a crack. They might have also not had the proper adhesive. So as the boat flexes the adhesive will move. Kind of like auto window bedding. The glue your auto window in with a hard rubber that has some flex to it. I would wonder if that is too thin then maybe there is not enough give putting too much strain on the window from normal boat flex.

I could be completely wrong.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 19:11   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreFun View Post
The hull is likely supposed to flex.
No doubt that is what the recent generation of lightweight production boat manufacturers tell their customers.

For my money and peace of mind, a hull should be a monolithic thing designed to laugh off anything nature could ever throw at it. Such a thing is of course not compatible with big light airy interiors, light wind performance or an attractive price tag. We each choose according to our priorities.
Old 26-07-2021, 19:33   #36
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
No doubt that is what the recent generation of lightweight production boat manufacturers tell their customers.

For my money and peace of mind, a hull should be a monolithic thing designed to laugh off anything nature could ever throw at it. Such a thing is of course not compatible with big light airy interiors or light wind performance. We each choose according to our priorities.

Obviously you know nothing about Leopard catamarans as they are not a lightweight build and don’t excel at light wind performance.
In either case this has nothing to do with the cracked windows. That’s a case of large plexi or lexan windows expanding and contracting at a different rate than the fiberglass they’re attached to. The fiberglass may have zero flex.
Now just because a catamaran is a lightweight build and excels at light wind performance in no way means it must flex excessively.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 19:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Obviously you know nothing about Leopard catamarans
You are correct, I don't think I've even ever stepped aboard one. But I wasn't speaking of Leopards or even catamarans in general.
Old 26-07-2021, 20:39   #38

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Do they wanna sell it?? Which structural issues did they show ?
I just saw the life raft hatch Problem which isn’t structural at all. They said they need to check the structure further more.
Geesh, it was a what if, Mr. Literal

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 21:02   #39

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
We have a Leopard 42, which is almost identical to the 43, apart from a foot longer sugar scoop, and a hard bimini.

There are two hatches in floor. The one inside the salon is a Lewmar acrylic hatch for escaping from the boat when inverted. It does leak a tiny bit when waves hit it. However, since it gets no UV damage we are not concerned about its strength.

The bigger one in the floor of the cockpit is for holding the liferaft. As shown in the video, this has an upper lid that hinges upwards to expose liferaft when the boat is right-side up. The lower hatch hinges downwards to release the liferaft when the boat is upside down. That is held in place with hinges and with two hasps that are held closed with bolts and nuts and then pins. I do like the idea of easy access if upside down.

However, waves do slam against that, which makes the heavy liferaft jump up and down in the hatch. Not ideal.

We have noticed there is rust on the bolts, so when (if ever!) we get back to our boat we will take another look at that and replace the bolts, perhaps with either titanium or galvanised steel.

My guess is that the pounding plus corrosion did snap the bolts. The hatch would then be hanging down by the hinges and would get ripped off by the next wave.

Once again we see the problem of relying on stainless steel for mission-critical applications.
How easy would it be to open that life raft hatch without tools, post capsize? If it's closed securely with nuts and bolts you'd struggle to open that with bare hands, which is what you'd have with waves washing through the upside down bridgedeck space. If the hatch is kept closed with friction loaded hasps, well, that's amazingly "optimistic".

Suggest you find 2205 Duplex bolts for much better corrosion resistance. But even 316 will still be strong when it has surface corrosion. If it develops crevice corrosion, that's another matter and justifies replacement of fittings every few years.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 21:11   #40

Boat: Still building

I'd be surprised the Liferaft module was not restrained or contained in some 'easy-to-undo manner, rather than hopping about unrestrained as is suggested up thread.
If this is the case then perhaps it's no wonder the hinges/latches eventually failed, being pounded on by a not-insubstantial liferaft container..??
Perhaps removable 'chocks' shaped to fit top and bottom would prevent the movement, but looking at the video footage of the upper hatch cover, it didn't look all that solid. I think I'd be rebuilding a lot stronger!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 08:17   #41

A number of cruising cats have had issues with racking (flexing of the monocoque hull structure causing the bulkheads to rip loose from the hull deck structure. This is an issue with there boats. There are incredible forces on the structure of these boats. It is incredibly expensive to properly design and construct these boats to withstand these forces over long periods. It is also incredibly expensive to fix this. Some manufacturers have done a good job with this but break out your wallet! You’re going to pay for this. Cats are expensive enough as it is. Hey, maybe a case for Dick Warrham cats! And the polanisans.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 08:37   #42

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
How easy would it be to open that life raft hatch without tools, post capsize? If it's closed securely with nuts and bolts you'd struggle to open that with bare hands, which is what you'd have with waves washing through the upside down bridgedeck space. If the hatch is kept closed with friction loaded hasps, well, that's amazingly "optimistic".

Suggest you find 2205 Duplex bolts for much better corrosion resistance. But even 316 will still be strong when it has surface corrosion. If it develops crevice corrosion, that's another matter and justifies replacement of fittings every few years.
I can't speak to a Leopard of this vintage, but on our FP Saona, the hatch is held in place by 4 stainless cam latches, one on each corner. Other than being rusted into place over time, removal of the hatch should be fairly easy if ever warranted.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 13:01   #43

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
...Hey, maybe a case for Dick Warrham cats! And the polanisans.
Do you maybe mean "James Wharram" and the Polynesians?

https://www.wharram.com/articles

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 14:25   #44

Boat: Outremer 51

My understanding is that the life raft needs to be accessible on a sailing cat from both normal and inverted positions according to EU rules.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 19:57   #45

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
"James Wharram and the Polynesians"

Good name for a ukelele band..!!!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, leopard