Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 11:17   #1

Diesel to electric engine...

Any who have change the diesel engine out with electric engine system ?
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 14:16   #2

Boat: Luders 36
Diesel to electric engine...

Have you tried doing a search? Plenty of other threads on the topic.

Generally not ready for prime time in the full-time cruiser realm. Tied to shore power every night, they start to make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 18:14   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Diesel to electric engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
Have you tried doing a search? Plenty of other threads on the topic.

Generally not ready for prime time in the full-time cruiser realm. Tied to shore power every night, they start to make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Don't forget the huge investment
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 18:43   #4

Boat: Caliber 40

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-151469.html

August 2015 right here - 79 posts of unimaginable detail - all sides of the issue were carefully explained, criticized, amplified and discussed

There are many links in those 79 posts to hundreds, maybe thousands, of other posts discussing the matter in painful detail
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 18:46   #5

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A young man near me is in the process of swapping out 1 of his 2 engines to an electric motor on a Catalac.

I'll report back after sea trials, if I am still around.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 21-11-2015, 09:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
Yes, our partner Naviwatt in France has done that switch multiple times and results are very good !
I have seen comments saying that solar power will be insufficient, and that is true. What most of people don't consider is that a sailing boat can recharge batteries not only through solar and wind but also with hydro-generation given by our high efficiency propeller in recharge mode.
That is a key point because it will be enough to have wind blowing = water stream on the propeller = recharge your batteries.
An EWOL prop on an electrical powered boat can go into feathering position as needed (when the batteries are already charged for example), then she can go into recharge position when you need to recharge you batteries and then she can go to propulsion when you need to maneuvre or there is no wind. All this from aboard...

I have a couple of examples for you:
1) Ewol is the supplier of propellers to Itsara, world's first 100% electric catamaran, and Alibi 54' where propulsion and power generation are assured by 2 EWOL Hi-Speed (hi-efficiency propellers) performance - Alibi Catamarans
2) Amasia is an older boat, where the diesel engine has been replace with an electric one, this boat has almost completed the world tour, the team left 1 year ago, starting from France, then went to Cabo Verde, crossed the Atlantic, passed the Panama strait, then Fiji, Australia and are now approaching Madagascar.... all this without diesel, just wind and electricity.
Notre position | Eco Sailing Project
Take a look at this interesting video to see how the system works (multiple language subtitles available)

If you want to know more just let me know....we supply these systems pretty regularly !!
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 22:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
Yes, our partner Naviwatt in France has done that switch multiple times and results are very good !
I have seen comments saying that solar power will be insufficient, and that is true. What most of people don't consider is that a sailing boat can recharge batteries not only through solar and wind but also with hydro-generation given by our high efficiency propeller in recharge mode.

If you want to know more just let me know....we supply these systems pretty regularly !!
I want to know more.

When my mast falls down and I need to punch into a strong headwind at full power using both my 20 HP engines for 2 days , then obviously "regen" isn't going to be the answer and the batteries aren't going to last very long either.

So how much does the required 50KW diesel genset (allowing for losses/and not flogging it to within an inch of its life, plus house requirements) weigh, and where am I going to mount this beast in my 12 meter catamaran?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 00:33   #8

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Seaslug,

And if your mast falls down and there is a lightning strike and your starter motors are fried and a big googly sea monster is attacking your boat....well, yeah, you're screwed.

Conjuring up disaster scenarios is easy. If there is no port whatsoever in any direction but directly upwind, then put out your sea anchor to minimise drift and get on your radio if you are coastal. If you are in the middle of a trans ocean passage then you won't be motoring upwind that far anyway.

See? Easy fixed
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
I want to know more.

When my mast falls down and I need to punch into a strong headwind at full power using both my 20 HP engines for 2 days , then obviously "regen" isn't going to be the answer and the batteries aren't going to last very long either.

So how much does the required 50KW diesel genset (allowing for losses/and not flogging it to within an inch of its life, plus house requirements) weigh, and where am I going to mount this beast in my 12 meter catamaran?
Hi Seaslug,

according to our experience for a 12 m catamaran 2x10 kW electrical engines will be sufficient, these would be smaller and lighter than diesel engines. LiIon batteries would weight 990 Lbs and 4'x2'x1' in size with a capacity of 40kWh. consider that you would anyway save the space and weight of fuel.
Than you can have also a GenSet for added safety but keep in mind that the hydro-generation is anyway very powerful here, at 8-9 knots (easy speed for a catamaran) you generate about 0,8-1 kW per each prop + solar + wind generators.

To me this all look very interesting.... and it's a fact that more and more sailors are watching attentively at this solution.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:08   #10

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
I want to know more.

My last post was a bit tongue in cheek ( it was very late at night) but the real answer is you do not drive electric propulsion from a huge genset (50kW, are you serious??) direct to motors. At least not for cruising sailboats. Aside from the electric system showstoppers concerned, it is much more efficient & cost/weight effective to use a much smaller genset to just charge the batteries when you need extended motoring that is beyond the range capability of your propulsion bank. That will be a pretty rare event, i.e. either adverse conditions or disaster scenarios like SeaSlug envisaged, or prolonged calms such as cruising in the tropics. But, yes, you certainly need to plan for that, and alternate propulsion battery banks ( charge then use, back and forth) is one way of approaching it.

It is entirely workable and offers huge benefits, but needs good system design (energy balance planning), components and quality installation. There are traps for young players. This is not a mature technology yet, meaning taken as a whole system, there is new stuff happening monthly.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric, engine