Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 11:48   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Code Zero or screecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffq1 View Post
Is this a screecher or code zero?

Hard to tell from this angle, but seems short on the luff and short on the foot. Probably a screecher if the primary jib is self tacking, but doesn’t seem to add much sail area for really light airs.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffq1 View Post
Is this a screecher or code zero?
looks like relatively stretchy cloth, and it is not a 'luff loaded' structure - so I would think it is a G0 or A1 (eg a flattish cut asymmetrical spin).
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 16:42   #18

Boat: Trimarans!

What the French would call a Gennaker.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 16:59   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've had all headsail types on multis ranging from very fast to performance cruising.

Another variable is the size of the genoa. My last cat had a masthead 135 genoa; a screacher wouldn't help much and chute with tack moved to windward allowed much deeper angles. On the other hand, my Stiletto and Corsair are fractional with sprits and screacher is more useful. That said, I really like the chute going deep.

Sailing style also matters. Some people love the feel of a chute, many feel they are too much work.

Is most of your sailing windward/leeward or reaching? Cruising grounds vary. On the Chesapeake I found it was mostly windward/leeward.

So it depends.
Old 05-12-2019, 17:28   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
SNIP

On the other hand, my Stiletto and Corsair are fractional with sprits and screacher is more useful. That said, I really like the chute going deep.

SNIP
My Seawind has a bow sprit so a big head sail was a no brainer. Not sure what I would do if that was not an option. My working jib is set up to be self tacking which for a single hander is also a no brainer. Up to maybe 12-15 knots a screecher on the bow sprit makes the boat fly. Above that the self tacking jib means it is easy to do everything with lines running to the cockpit.

Not sure about your Seawind but you may wanna consider adding a bow sprit if it does not have one.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
My Seawind has a bow sprit so a big head sail was a no brainer. Not sure what I would do if that was not an option. My working jib is set up to be self tacking which for a single hander is also a no brainer. Up to maybe 12-15 knots a screecher on the bow sprit makes the boat fly. Above that the self tacking jib means it is easy to do everything with lines running to the cockpit.

Not sure about your Seawind but you may wanna consider adding a bow sprit if it does not have one.

And if I remember correctly the screecher on your boat with the continuous line furler was easier to furl than the 90% jib!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 17:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And if I remember correctly the screecher on your boat with the continuous line furler was easier to furl than the 90% jib!
Yes and no.

Once I saw how Josh modified his jib so it was self tacking I did the same to mine. So the sheet and the furler line both went to the port steering station. As for the screecher one sheet and the furler line go to the starboard steering station while the other sheet goes to the port steering station.

So depending on which tack I am on with the screecher it can be easy while the other one is not quite as easy.
Old 07-12-2019, 18:05   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Yes and no.

Once I saw how Josh modified his jib so it was self tacking I did the same to mine. So the sheet and the furler line both went to the port steering station. As for the screecher one sheet and the furler line go to the starboard steering station while the other sheet goes to the port steering station.

So depending on which tack I am on with the screecher it can be easy while the other one is not quite as easy.

I was actually thinking of the load on the furler and not the setup. If I remember correctly we installed the Facnor 1500 furler on your boat and the Facnor 2500 on Josh’s. Maybe it was Josh’s Seawind that appeared to have a lighter load on the screecher furler than the jib furler.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I was actually thinking of the load on the furler and not the setup. If I remember correctly we installed the Facnor 1500 furler on your boat and the Facnor 2500 on Josh’s. Maybe it was Josh’s Seawind that appeared to have a lighter load on the screecher furler than the jib furler.
I tend to hold the sheet in one hand and the furler in the other so there is a little tension on sail as it wraps around the stay. I do think the endless furler has less friction than the more conventional one on the working jib. But after I replaced the original jib with the new one (with help from Charles from Ship of Fools) part of that process was to completely unwind all the line off the furler and then rewind it. I can't remember where but I read that maintaining a furler included completely unwinding it. When I got the new jib from Mack I did not send them measure since they said they had made Seawind sails before. In any case it was somewhat longer at the luff than the old one; so much so that I could not use a shackle to attach it at the bottom. Instead I used a soft shackle fit to size which worked out quite well. Charles had replaced all his shackles in his running rigging on Ship of Fools with soft shackles and has convinced me that is the best solution.

I have noticed that completely unwinding a conventional furler does seem to make the loads lighter and it is now part of my regular maintenance. I am also not sure the luff is as tight now with the new jib that has a slightly longer luff than the old one; even if the luff seems plenty tight to me.

Tags
code zero