Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2007, 03:54   #91

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Factor,

What are the BD clearances on the Maxim and the Crowther? Sounds like speed played a bit in the comfort level too.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 08:14   #92

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I would personally look at boats with sythetic cores and avoid balsa cores. But it's a bit controversial. The insurance brokers I spoke to, who deal with damaged boats every day, mentioned that the catamarans they've had significant claims which use balsa cores ofter were total write offs because of water intrusion and extensive core damage moving from fractured balsa allowing penetration of the water far beyond the initial breach. I would tend to trust them as he's the one actually telling the owner his boat is unrepairable after looking at the repair estimates. Almost any catamaran will have balsa cores in places where the angles are sharp or for certain areas of high stress. When I had drinks with the manager of Prout, he mentioned that he prefered balsa cores due to offgassing issues at different temperatures with synthetics, however when I mentioned that some manufacturers like PDQ have used synthetics for almost 20 years now without delamination problems, he did concede that a lot of it is quality control at the factory has to be very stringent for synthetic cored boats.
Point in fact, a lot of boats which have the "bad reputation" among brokers used synthetic cores to maintain a light weight and got that bad reputation because their 5+ year old boats were showing delamination problems making them very difficult to sell. Typically now if a manufacturer is going to go for the extra costs of using a synthetic core, especially in recent years, they've figured out how to do it correctly.

Regarding the water tight compartments, if you are at the boat show">Annapolis boat show, step onto the PDQ 44 to see how they do it and use it as a baseline to compare other boats. I know it's out of your budget, but I can also have you talk privately with some people at the boat show who really know catamarans (former repair people).
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 10:08   #93

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
New Broadblue

Settingsail2009

In the press today, Broadblue are to release a new model the 415. It might just about come into your budget at around £209,000.
Details here
http://www.saltwaterpr.com/asp/story...=3397&lang=ENG

Regards
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 11:14   #94

I didn't find any concern for how the rudders are attached?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 19:51   #95

Boat: Ovni 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero
Settingsail2009

In the press today, Broadblue are to release a new model the 415. It might just about come into your budget at around £209,000.
Details here
SaltwaterPR - Press Office - Press Release

Regards
Thanks for that. I've just emailed Robert Underwood for more information. It'll still be at the very top of what I can afford and realistically when you add the extra equipment I'll need for a circumnavigation, it'll push it outside .... We'll see. I'm looking forward to reading more about it.
Old 18-04-2007, 03:31   #96

Right now my short-list is down to the Manta and the Broadblue. It would be nice to hear from someone with experience from both. It would be nice if you were talking about the Broadblue 385 and the 435 and not older models.
Basically I'm interested in which you would choose and why.

I would love to hear positives and negatives about both. So far I only hear positive things about them. Both of them score highly on my list of desirable features, so I feel a bit stuck until I test sail them.
Old 20-04-2007, 07:26   #97

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
One thing to check out of many is the total weight fylly loaded and the dry weight on any boat to be considered for offshore use. You must do a calculation of the equipment and stores you need to bring for an ocean crossing and then look at different boats to see which boats that conform to this requirement. Overloading a cat means that the loads increase on both the boat and especially the rig, the boats movement in a seaway will mean more BD slamming and it will be uncomfortable on board.

As you mentioned to only have $400k available, thats a lot mor than I had when I bought my Belize 43. I even talked to a broker in Annapolis that had a very well equipped Maestro nfor sale and I believe the price came down to around $290k, which I believe would be very good value for money.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 23:40   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
One thing to check out of many is the total weight fylly loaded and the dry weight on any boat to be considered for offshore use.
From what I hear the design of both the Manta and the Broadblue allow them to take on quite a lot of stores without a horrible reduction in sailing performance. I was under the impression that the Fountaine Pajots, being more of a charter cat, will see a faster reduction in performance when you add supplies and gear for a circumnavigation. Since you have a FP 43, you can tell me first hand if my impression of the FP is right or wrong?
What is the load carrying capacity of the Belize 43?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
As you mentioned to only have $400k available, thats a lot mor than I had when I bought my Belize 43. I even talked to a broker in Annapolis that had a very well equipped Maestro nfor sale and I believe the price came down to around $290k, which I believe would be very good value for money.
How long ago was this?
Old 24-04-2007, 09:03   #99

One thing you may want to add to your list of wants: minimal use of liners so you can get AT most any place inside the boat: both for repair purposes and installation of new kit.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 13:11   #100

Boat: Broadblue 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero
I own the first BB385, and I'm happy with it. Can provide pro's and con's if anyone interested. They're also turning up in greater numbers. We berth in Haslar, nr Portsmouth in the UK. There are three BB's in a row, a 435, and two 385's. A few years ago and a catamaran would have been a very unusual sight in the Solent, how times change.

Re new BB415, if i read the release correctly, it is actually a downspec'd 435, anyone read it different?
kcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 06:00   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrane
I own the first BB385, and I'm happy with it. Can provide pro's and con's if anyone interested.
I would be very interested in hearing the pro's and con's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrane
Re new BB415, if i read the release correctly, it is actually a downspec'd 435, anyone read it different?
In an email Robert Underwood (designer of the BB's) wrote, that it is "based on the 435 design".
What I find curious when reading the technical specifications is that every measurement is the same, except for LOA, which differs by 2 feet.
Old 25-04-2007, 11:10   #102

I too would be intrerested in hearing the pro's and con's of the BB385, especially the performance,as I am still undecided - thanks.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 13:08   #103

Boat: Broadblue 385
415 spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009
What I find curious when reading the technical specifications is that every measurement is the same, except for LOA, which differs by 2 feet.
Ah, that is interesting. I'm not an expert in BB's, and I am sure I'll be corrected, but...

The larger BB at the Southampton Boat Show 2006 had a strange lengthened transom, an add-on sticking out the back just above the waterline. It looked like an attempt to make it easier to climb onto the boat. Now, if that was 2ft long.... and you decided to do without it?
kcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 00:10   #104

Boat: Broadblue 42
Broadblue 415 & 435

We have the first BB42 that was built in 2003. I can confirm that the 435 is exactly the same as the original 42 with the addition of an extra length step/bathing platform to the transoms to give the 43.5ft length.

The 415 will also be exactly the same hull mouldings but without the bathing platform extension. The interior design is also different, this is probably the main reason for the price difference. The 415 will not be as well fitted out as the 435, ie a "budget" version if you like.
Llamedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 03:08   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamedos
We have the first BB42 that was built in 2003. I can confirm that the 435 is exactly the same as the original 42 with the addition of an extra length step/bathing platform to the transoms to give the 43.5ft length.

The 415 will also be exactly the same hull mouldings but without the bathing platform extension. The interior design is also different, this is probably the main reason for the price difference. The 415 will not be as well fitted out as the 435, ie a "budget" version if you like.
Excellent. The mystery is solved.

How happy are you with the sailing performance of your 42? Actually, how happy are you with your 42 in general?