Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 07:53   #31

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Give a look to Nautitech 54, if they have one. A bit more expensive, a bit more performant than Saba 50 from FP. They have a version now available with fly bridge as well, but if this is a must for you , Saba should be better value for money as the performance will certainly be compromised...

Cheers

Yeloya
Hi Yeloya

i will look at the Nautitech 542 as well but since i wrote this Treed somethings has changes change and presently išm looking at the following .. boats ..

Catana 55
Lagoon 560
Fountaine-Pajot sanya-57
Outremer-5X
Alibi 54

and some of the things i need to figure out is the following
do i want

Dragger boards

Flybridge

but much more on those thought on my blog ..

but i truely hope i will be allot wise by this time next week ..
Old 20-04-2014, 08:32   #32
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Very IMHO (from Salina 48 owner) - get smaller or get a pro crew.

45-48 ft is largest you can handle. When all is good - 55-60 is nice. But when **** happens - you cannot manage it alone. And believe me - **** happens at the worst possible time
Old 20-04-2014, 08:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post

45-48 ft is largest you can handle. When all is good - 55-60 is nice. But when **** happens - you cannot manage it alone. And believe me - **** happens at the worst possible time
Hi there

We will always be a min of 2 crew on it.. and in most cases between 4-6 to but thanks for the advise ..
Old 20-04-2014, 09:07   #34

Working on the same timeline and looking in all the same places. IMHO if you are in a position to take on and run the 5X I'd be very surprised if you settle for anything else on your list. Will also be at the show this weekend looking for something a bit smaller. Pretty much sold on one of the daggerboard cats but I do like the look of the new Nautitech 482
BahtSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 09:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahtSimpson View Post
Working on the same timeline and looking in all the same places. IMHO if you are in a position to take on and run the 5X I'd be very surprised if you settle for anything else on your list. Will also be at the show this weekend looking for something a bit smaller. Pretty much sold on one of the daggerboard cats but I do like the look of the new Nautitech 482

Hi there

personally i think it will come down to the following do i want Comfort in the high end it will be between FP and Lagoon .. do i want a mix it will be between Alibi, Catana do i want to foucs on Speed Outremer

but the most important part will be were do i feel most at home .. since She will be my home for many many years and if you are at the boatshow would be nice to meet up for Coffee if you like to
Old 20-04-2014, 09:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post

how are things going in Dubai now a day.. havenšt been there for a while ..
Old 24-04-2014, 04:20   #37

Count is almost down less than 20 hours canšt wait and i have manage to get it down to 3 option ranging from Luxury Cruising to Speed .. so it is all depending on the look and feel ...
Old 24-04-2014, 13:46   #38
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I think you're looking at too much boat. a 50'++ catamaran is a monster compared to the racing boats you listed as having experience on.

For 4 to 6 adults to be safe and comfortable, a 12 meter boat would work fine and be 1/2 the price and 1/2 the work to maintain.

Also, you imply your choice is a new boat? Why not a used boat and save the $50,000 you budget to bring a new boat up to cruiser standards?

Catamarans for sale by owner
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 15:24   #39

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Don't know if this is been posted already.. Here is a link to a family that did extended cruising on a Lagoon 500. He gives his opinion of the boat and his response to other peoples "opinions", might be helpful.

Journals
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 00:00   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Don't know if this is been posted already.. Here is a link to a family that did extended cruising on a Lagoon 500. He gives his opinion of the boat and his response to other peoples "opinions", might be helpful.

Journals

thank you for the link and i will read it but what i have seen so fare it looks good and great reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I think you're looking at too much boat. a 50'++ catamaran is a monster compared to the racing boats you listed as having experience on.

For 4 to 6 adults to be safe and comfortable, a 12 meter boat would work fine and be 1/2 the price and 1/2 the work to maintain.

Also, you imply your choice is a new boat? Why not a used boat and save the $50,000 you budget to bring a new boat up to cruiser standards?

Catamarans for sale by owner
I do agree with you it looks like it could be to much boat but at the same time i will be spending the next 5-6 years full time on her and i know i could save alot of money if i wanted to buy a monohaul or second hand and there are some very fine examples around the world but i have made the conclusion to buy a new cat

but thank you for your advise.

when it comes to buying a new or old i have made a choice to buy a new cat..
same would you buy a new car or second hand .. but if i was going ot find a good and almost new new 2. hand cat .. i would for sure look in to it.. "there is one Outremer 5X for sales second hand i could look in to .." but i want to make my own adjustment to the cat so the easiest is to buy a new and if i had 10 years experience i would properly even look in to getting a Custom made one

and i donšt say all this to sound negative and i respect every ones opinion and i listen to them ..
Old 25-04-2014, 03:41   #41

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
i respect every ones opinion and i listen to them ..
Yeah, that's the best thing - listen to opinions, but make your own.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 03:54   #42

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
The Following i have narrowed it down to are

Option 1 Outremer 5X.
Option 2 Saba 50
Option 3 Lagoon 500

Mike,
The Outremer and Lagoon will sail completely differently, one extremely fast and the other slow. Also, the Outremer is designed for sailors who really like the feel of sailing (which is why they have the tiller, which you should try when you sail the 5x).

Do you like exposed or enclosed helms? Outremer's helms are quite exposed; Lagoon gives you the option to have it more protected.

The interior of the saloon on Outremer and Lagoon are very different in size and feel. The Outremer doesn't seem nearly as deep as the Lagoon's saloon, which feels very generous in size.

Also, for a boat as large and expensive as the 5x, the Galley seems very small to me.

Lagoon's are production boats, and the company itself is large and impersonal. Xavier, the president of Outremer, is very hands-on in his care and management of his company and I think you will receive very good care and service from Outremer in comparison to Lagoon.

I don't know the Saba so I can't comment on that boat.

Good luck in your selection and sailing!
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 12:55   #43

Ok time for a small update from my side here..

i haven been looking at the Catamarans today spend all day on the different once .. and my feeling is basically almost the same i did not manage to go to FP yet but will do so tomorrow "Sunday" i went have a deep look at some boats more than others of course for sure the Catana is a very boat even do they did not have the size i was looking at but the had a 47 and 59 here and man the 59 is a huge boat and Tall in the hulls as well so they are still in the race...

But i went on the alibi 54 and all i can the design is beautiful not but the išm not so happy about the build quality .. from my point of view.. it cant be right the boat lays so heavy in the water when there is 5 people on board that the aft deck last step is under water .. that canšt be good for sure but then again išm a newbie so many that is the design ... so that is out for sure then i went to look at the outreemer 5x man she is nice so i will for sure have another look at her tomorrow .. i also looked at the 51 but she is to narrow in the hulls for me .. .. for the priv5 i really liked the indside of the salon "Really Great " design when it came to the owner version it lost it pluss even a kid can stand up there my best guess is the celling height around the bed is lees the 5 feet which is to low for me but the look and feel is great on it so she lost on that part even t the bigger 6 had the same issue

i will post updates and my personal feedvback on my blog by monday evening European time
Old 27-04-2014, 11:41   #44

But for me now the race has change to should I go for the bentley or the Porsche cayenne and time for me to do some sea trials which will be end of May still have. Dark horse and that is the nautitech 542

Sent from my HTC One using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-04-2014, 15:20   #45

Blog Updated .. and soon time to a new tread

Tags
buying, catamaran