Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2008, 22:34   #16

muskoka, thanks. I checked out those Gemini 34's and they seem quite nice! There were some used, nicely equiped boats for around 130k too. That's definately in my range. I have a few questions about that boat if you don't mind.

Would that be a lot roomier than the F31? I'd like it to be quite comfortable for two and have enough room for four the odd time.

Would it be enough boat to go from the Caribbean, across Panana canal then up the Pacific coast? I would probably want to stop lots of places along the way and I would probably stay quite close to the shore.

For what I plan on doing, is the dual hull going to give me many performance disadvantages over a three hull?

What I'm really after is something that is going to give me an enjoyable ride from town to town and coast to coast. My life long goal has always been to explore the world. I figure sailing is the best way to do that and that the Caribbean is a great place to start. I love the culture and my girlfriend is Colombiana so she really wants to know more of the area as well. Right now, I'm looking for something to get started on and it sounds like this is a great place to start.
ducaticole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 22:52   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
The Gemini is vastly more roomy than the F31 - there's really no comparison.

I don't think performance comparisons between the two serve much purpose as they're designed for completely different uses. One thing is certain, cruising loads will take the performance edge off both and I suspect that it would really blunt the F31's performance as that boat simply isn't designed with those kinds of loads in mind.

The F31 is a real performance machine: light, fast and small. Think of it as a Porsche.

The Gemini is a comfortable pocket cruiser: decent speeds, lots of space and comfort. Perhaps more like a Mercedes sedan.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 13:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
I could only comment on the F-31. But I guess try searching yachtworld.com with a price of something higher than your 150K limit and see if you can negotiate down to your budget.

If your girlfriend rides on the back of a Ducati, then maybe she has the fortitude to bear pain and discomfort beyond what mere mortals can withstand - in which case, I may have to revise my previous objections to the F-31 for you.

I know I will be crucified by most readers of this forum; but have you looked at the James Wharram designed Cats? A quirky British designer with some solid designs and all built to an affordable budget.

For example:

1975 Wharram Tehini 52 Boat For Sale

for the record, I have no interest in this boat at all and I stress that this is NOT a recommendation - I simply did a search on yachtworld.com.
that is one real ugly Boat! I do not see what your talking about with the Corsair31 oo any of there boats. I have sailed on the 24 and the 27 and they are comfortable. They are fast i did like that. The trampolines are nice so you can lay out on a monohull there is no room outside like the trampolines.
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 15:14   #19

Boat: Valiant 50
On any budget - go mono!...Way more bang for your buck...or get Bill Gates to adopt you.

I'm an avowed multi enthusiast.They're great!. Sadly, I'm a working class dude - hence the mono wins out.

I'm currently looking to buy a blue water cruising boat. In a heartbeat, I'd buy a Cat but I'm only looking at monos. Multis are extremely load sensitive, so either make like a Buddhist monk and renounce all worldly possessions or call Uncle Bill and cash in your inheritance and look no further than:

Multihull Catamaran Sailing Yachts, Luxury Catamarans - Gunboat

Life's a bitch - is'nt it?
Old 20-03-2008, 15:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
On any budget - go mono!...Way more bang for your buck...or get Bill Gates to adopt you.

I'm an avowed multi enthusiast.They're great!. Sadly, I'm a working class dude - hence the mono wins out.

I'm currently looking to buy a blue water cruising boat. In a heartbeat, I'd buy a Cat but I'm only looking at monos. Multis are extremely load sensitive, so either make like a Buddhist monk and renounce all worldly possessions or call Uncle Bill and cash in your inheritance and look no further than:

Multihull Catamaran Sailing Yachts, Luxury Catamarans - Gunboat

Life's a bitch - is'nt it?
Dude Monohull has nothing on Multihull what are u smokin,, I want some..! And Gunboat is sweat but I have not won the lottery yet!
Old 20-03-2008, 15:43   #21

Farrier F-36

Here's a note on the Farrier F-35 / Corsair C36 from Ian Farrier's website:

"It should also be noted that Corsair's C36 should not be confused with the Farrier F-36 or F-39, which are completely different trimarans, and true ocean going cruisers. The Corsair 36 is based on the initial F-35 hull lines, but my involvement ended very early in the design process due to various differences, along with concerns about supervision and quality controls. Corsair renamed this design the Corsair 36, and after various problems they have now renamed it again as the C37. Farrier Marine has had no involvement in either structure or implementation of the C36/C37, and actual designer is unknown. I closely inspected one example which had experienced a number of failures, and found the beams and folding system structure were not to Farrier standards. This is a trimaran that I would definitely avoid."

Additional information regarding the Farrier / Corsair relationship can be found here: Corsair Marine - Important Notice

Ian Farrier's comprehensive website is: Trimaran and Catamaran Designs By Farrier Marine, Inc.
Tourmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 15:54   #22

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducaticole View Post
What do you suggest I look at then? Maybe something with a bit more interior room. I'd like to stay with a multihull boat if possible. They just appeal to me more. I'm willing to buy used and my price cap is around $150,000.
What about this? A 38 ft Athena, will tick most of your boxes and only 140k$. Good reliable boat, not the fastest round the block, but reasonable performance.

2 Hulls Inc

Located in Florida.

You can find plenty of 35 -40 foot cats 10-15 years old that will give you the load carrying ability you need for a trip like that, and not lose you a whole lot of money when you need to sell it again. Lokk at Fountaine Pajot,Lagoon, Privilege and some of the other French cats. They will not give you a buzz sailing them, like on a lightweight tri.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 15:57   #23

Boat: Valiant 50
Son-of-a-Sailor... No argument from me...I did say I was a multi enthusiast and I think they're great...my point being bang-for-buck. $120K will buy you a solid, proven blue water mono - it 's not easy finding a blue water multi for that money.

This is not a mono vs multi debate - its about $$$'s... see paragraph 1.
Old 20-03-2008, 17:26   #24

But I am not looking for a Blue water Monohull, I am a weekend sailor in Lake Erie
Old 20-03-2008, 22:22   #25

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
You should be able to get one of these for the money.

Hard to find though

Seawind Catamarans

or that Athena above sounds cheap and reasonable

Dave
Old 22-03-2008, 23:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
(quote) Would it be enough boat to go from the Caribbean, across Panama canal then up the Pacific coast? I would probably want to stop lots of places along the way and I would probably stay quite close to the shore.

For what I plan on doing, is the dual hull going to give me many performance disadvantages over a three hull?

While it is hard to compare so many different boats, generally the trimaran will have a performance edge over a cat in windward ability and light air sailing. A cat will definitely give you more interior space and maybe a slight increase in payload. I prefer the ride and handling of a tri. To me it is the most responsive and fun to sail of the three types, tri, cat, and mono. Others may have other preferences. We can all tell you what we like the best but you should get some time on some of these boats to see if there is something that speaks to you. Load carrying ability can be kind of a bogus issue IMO. It is not the "old days" when you carried 150 gallons of water and 6 months of provisions, especially as it sounds like your intent is coastal cruising. You will have to watch your loading on a multihull but if you chose a good boat it will have the capacity for a comfortable home for two. Just to throw out a number so you have some idea, my Searunner 40 has a designed payload of 3600 lbs.

Alot of people don't consider the Gemini to be a real blue water boat but I think it makes a pretty decent coastal cruiser. The 105 being a better choice over the older 3400,3300, etc models. Others have mentioned some other good choices. How about a PDQ 36? Trimarans are harder to come by but with the exception of the Farriers will be less expensive. Some other trimarans to consider would be Searunner 34, 37, and 40. Cross 35, 38, and 40. Marples Constant Camber 35, 37, 40. A Simpson Liahona 40 would be a great choice if you could find one.

I say stick with a multihull. Fast is fun. Sailing on the level is even better.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote