Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 13:42   #16

Boat: Easy Sarah. Under construction
Re: Building an Easy Sarah and need input

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
I built my 38 footer in bits - hulls, beams, boards etc under polythene tunnel tents. Then next door and under a larger v shaped tent. Pretty okay weather here in Australia for that. Tunnel tents can be quite strong.

cheers

Phil

Thanks for the input Phil. I've thought about that but i live in the Pacific Northwest. It gets very cold and the WIND OMG. Not sure a tent will last and besides I can use the property improvements as a tax write off.
Old 15-03-2017, 16:09   #17

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You could also talk with the designer Peter Snell, very nice man and I have found him always happy to help. Contact details available here.
+1 on talking to Peter he is a very "easy" guy to talk to and is happy to discuss his boats. I have talked to him about several used ones that I looked at to purchase. Still looking though not because I wouldn't own an easy; finances are still an issue.
ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 19:28   #18

Anyone in the US had any experience with US Composites epoxy?
Old 20-03-2017, 10:15   #19

Wow that shut everyone up. WTH. Did I say a dirty word. ( epoxy) haha
Old 25-04-2017, 02:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-bee View Post
After sailing almost 3000 NM in our new boat last year, I'd change a couple of things if I could do it again. Nothing major, but one of the changes we're currently implementing is to have many pad-eyes along the outside of the deck in order to barber haul the sheets wide for running off the wind. The sheeting points in the design are perfect for close hauled, but you need to sheet out when you crack the sheets.

The advice that Peter Snell gave us about reefing was to do it early. We have learned that by the time you think about it, you won't lose any speed by having less sail area. Keep the weight down and they are an easily driven hull.

The heaviest weather we saw was 30 knots, into which our course was about 70 degrees. Sailing with double reefed main and staysail we averaged 6 knots pushing into some really knarly waves.

Just keep your head down and keep working on it. It's worth it in the end. Don't over think too much. Just follow the plans. Peter has been tweeking the design across the evolution and he has everything pretty right with this one.

Chris

Hi there Chris
In the last post you mentioned adding pad eyes. Have you any pictures of this and how is the sailing going. Are you still running the monster outboard. What did you call it, the parmaha or something like that???
Old 25-04-2017, 03:01   #21

Yes, rebuilt a skiff with all us composites poly and cloth. Great support and product!
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:34   #22

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

Hi Dean

I have this photo of the eye pads in use from one of our first ever sails.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04249.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	146226
This was running downwind wing and wing. You can see that we had four sheets on the genoa, with one pair in tight for going to windward and the outer pair for reaching and running. In this photo another eye pad is in use to secure the spinnaker halyard in a location that does not bang on the mast. Other eye pads are used for turning blocks for the spinnaker and for securing items on deck.

We've been anchored up for our summer in the river closest to our house while we get it ready for tenants. Nearly time for us to head north again for a repeat trip along the Queensland coast.

We've been more than happy with the extra engine power. The weight penalty is not very great and the speed has been appreciated for entering barred river mouths.

Chris
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 15:05   #23

Another alternative to fitting padeyes for downwind sheeting points is to use your midships cleats.

We just have turning blocks on rope strops off the cleats.

A pair of padeyes or stand up blocks mounted outboard about a metre aft of the shrouds are useful for running a gybe preventer through, and can be used to pull the boom down greatly reducing chafe on the mainsail.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 10:29   #24

Wow. Great tips. This is what I need because I'm technically have never sailed. That being said, in the last year and a half I have learned Sooooo much from all of you out there especially on " that other forum" lol. Thanks Chris and 44
Old 27-04-2017, 08:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-bee View Post
Hi Dean

I have this photo of the eye pads in use from one of our first ever sails.

Attachment 146226

This was running downwind wing and wing. You can see that we had four sheets on the genoa, with one pair in tight for going to windward and the outer pair for reaching and running. In this photo another eye pad is in use to secure the spinnaker halyard in a location that does not bang on the mast. Other eye pads are used for turning blocks for the spinnaker and for securing items on deck.

We've been anchored up for our summer in the river closest to our house while we get it ready for tenants. Nearly time for us to head north again for a repeat trip along the Queensland coast.

We've been more than happy with the extra engine power. The weight penalty is not very great and the speed has been appreciated for entering barred river mouths.

Chris

Hi Chris. Looks like you are enjoying life. Wish I could come sail with you. Your yacht looks great and I really like the to of the turret roof where you incorporated the drip edge and hand hold. How is that working and I was looking they your pics again as you have a wealth of information looking for how you built the roof. As for anyone who in looking there are great photos of the build that shows how it was built. It was pretty ingenious congrats!!
I am also planning to add curved steps at the aft steps. Not changing anything structural but just to soften the look a bit.
Old 29-04-2017, 05:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Yes, rebuilt a skiff with all us composites poly and cloth. Great support and product!

How has it been holding up to the elements?