Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 09:20   #91

Re: Building a Kit Catamaran

As far as I know it applies to Australian residents, the customs wantall sorts of verification that it is self build. I take photos of work in progress, I have reciepts for all materials I buy and some other costs. I also am building to survey, where an Australian Registered Ships Surveyor drops in when he is in the area and checks my work... the boat will need to be surveyed when it comes to OZ and he is also qualified and authorized to do that...

I have no doubts they'll still give me a hard time when I eventually get the cat there. but I also have correspondence from Australian Customs confirming the regs. I don't have it here with me, its in OZ in a file...

perhaps just ring them up and get the story from them directly. You can also send them a letter, they are obliged to reply.
NLEbE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 14:18   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by egret View Post
Tell me I am wrong when I compare the Flat panel method to the molded parts method, the kit cost me back then $125k and it was assembled and faired in 5 weeks, ready for engines, shipping and assembly cost me $ 50k so for $ 175k I had a finished and faired boat outside ready for interior, if you can tell me I could have got the same results with a flat panel balsa kit in the same time for less cost then I think you should be building boats as no-one else can.
Just a couple of points. Yes, the Fusion does get you a completed, faired, and nicely finished shell, very quickly.

In my experience, a flat panel kit can be built to that stage cheaper though. You're basically looking at kit costs, plus paint : considerably cheaper.

But it also takes much longer, so if you're hiring your shed that may change the balance the other way..

However, when it comes to finishing the interior, the Fusion is much more work. Finishing the interior of a flat panel kit is essentially the same as finishing the exterior. You fair and paint.

The insides of the Fusion moulded panels are much more rough and uneven. There are bits that are cored and bits that aren't, so the surfaces are far from even. The most efficient way is to line most of the interior, but that takes time, money, and adds weight.

Like most things, there are pro's and cons. Generally a flat panel kit of similar size will end up lighter and usually cheaper. But it will take longer.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:44   #93

Does anyone know if Bob Oram is still selling these kits? I can't seem to find a website.
FloatMyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 23:49   #94

Bob Oram shut up shop a couple of years ago.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:00   #95

Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to get this thread going again. I'm shopping for plans at least. Maybe a kit too. Right now I kind of like the Spirited Synergy 38. Or does anyone know of a good resource for partially built kits for sale?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00   #96

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' NERISSA

Don't build, buy used and use your time sailing and fixing, rather than waiting.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09   #97

805gregg that's probably sage advice for most, and I've considered that before making the decision. I am going to build, any building advice or resource are appreciated.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:05   #98

What type of boat do you want? A performance cruiser? A safe comfortable boat? Something relatively inexpensive?

There are many types of plans and kits available. For instance plans for Snell Easys start at around $1200 (Au), many of these boats have been built relatively cheaply from plywood/epoxy/glass and are successfully cruising. Hundreds of plywood Wharrams are cruising.

More performance oriented designs will use more expensive materials and cost more to build. But you can build a boat of a type that would be difficult and very expensive to buy.

There's a great deal of satisfaction in sailing a boat you built yourself. There are also benefits in terms of knowledge of exactly how the systems are installed and how they work.

A good forum for home builders here: https://diy-yachts.com/forum/

John McEnroe
Old 05-12-2016, 13:44   #99

44'cruisingcat thank you for your reply sir. I tip my hat to you, and hope to follow in your foot steps. As a cruising amateur familiarity is the number one reason for an owner build.

Let me just first disclose that I'm new to the world of sailboats. Truth be told I've never stepped on a sailboat in my life. I'm still learning the vast vocabulary specific to the cruising world and multihulls in particular. I beg patience as I am sure to come across as naive and ignorant at times, because......well, I am naive and ignorant to the world of sailing at the moment. I just binge read Chris White's "Cruising Multihulls" and am two days into "The Voyagers Handbook" by Beth Leonard so I am doing my best to catch up. I've spent the last 6 years fantasizing and researching bluewater cruising and sailboat builds after I was bit by some kind of mysterious sailing bug that I cant really explain. Having the world in your hands thanks to a fuel tank full of wind is indescribably captivating.
I realize that I need to sail a few multihulls and possibly spend some extended time aboard one before I take on a project of this magnitude. The goal is to have a boat that is safely and comfortably capable of world cruising. It will be crewed predominately by myself and my wife, with some potential for additional crew during visits from family or friends, or when we are doing longer passages.

-Safety is at the top of my list. From what I've read the chance for capsize, although slim, increases with a catamaran that's 35' or under. The sunken decks are a very attractive feature of the Synergy 38 for both me and my wife. On paper most cat's seem quite precarious when you think about walking down the sides of the decks.

-Performance isn't really at the top of my list, but I definitely don't want a barge with sails on it.

-A comfortable boat. I feel comfort shouldn't just consider space or amenities but also characteristics like high bridge deck clearance and cabin location.

-Central wheel location and a boat that is easily handled by a shorthanded crew.

-A protected cockpit (from weather and insects) is a must.

-Budget is an issue, but I'm hoping the owner build gives me more freedom from that aspect.

-I like the idea of a plywood build. Its readily available and I am familiar with it as a building material, so I see it fitting in with a "build as you go" scenario, verses a kit and paying for everything all at once. Research shows that the biggest drawback of the plywood would be resale value, but this isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me. Am I correct that it's a bit more durable than the balsa or duflex panels?

-Ease of build is definitely something I'm considering. The kits are definitely most attractive due to this aspect. Getting lost in a project like this and ending up with a half built boat in my backyard in Ohio is not something I want on my resume. Although if I thought that I were going to do anything but finish I wouldn't be taking this on.

-Last on the list is appearance. Although its not a deal breaker either, it sure would be easier to maintain a boat if I'm in love with the old girl. Also appearance could help to increase resale of a plywood boat that would otherwise be unattractive to someone who is in the market for a used boat.
Old 05-12-2016, 14:36   #100

Certainly no problem with plywood, as long as you do it right. (As with any material)

Funny, one of my reasons for going with a kit was the up-front financial commitment. I was worried that if I started with some plywood and epoxy, I might just quit when it stopped being fun. With $70k+ tied up, I would HAVE to keep going!

In reality I never at any stage felt like quitting. It wasn't all fun, fairing sucks, but not enough to make me give up. Plenty of other's finish their boats too. There are very few on that forum who have just disappeared without launching.

An example of an excellent plywood built boat: https://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=415

John McEnroe
Old 05-12-2016, 15:16   #101

44'crusiingcat thank you for the links. That forum looks like a WEALTH of information. More importantly thank you for the vote of confidence. It means more than you may know.
Old 06-12-2016, 00:33   #102

I figure, if I can do it, anyone can.

But really, there's no rocket science involved, nor is any of the work overly difficult. It's just a LOT of work. You simply have to put the hours in. Some people take many years to build a boat, but that's because they don't put the HOURS in.

John McEnroe

Tags
kit catamaran, builder