Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2007, 23:40   #1

best multihull to get me into the pacific

gday everyone

this question has been asked before i am sure, so forgive me for my ignorance.

But i was wondering what the best boat would be for my family and i.

i am currently living in Darwin Australia so the vessel would have to be tropical friendly, with the intended use of sailing from Australia and island hopping through the pacific to Thailand, Fiji, Tahiti, Maldives well you get the point. not extended trips about 7 weeks at the most for return trip

i am looking for something that would make the distance safely and be comfortable but i am more concerned with seaworthiness as compared too being overly comfortable as my families safety is the most important thing to me, (i am sure my wife will have the last say about the leval of comfort) i must stress that this vessel will not be used as a live aboard but as an escape to exotic places for relaxing holidays.

looking for something with a double to queen size berth for the wife and i and 2 singles for the kids, must be able to be sailed with only a crew of 2, have a separate head and shower and a semi decent galley, as i love to cook. good storage and being self sufficient is a must.

hope someone can give me some ideas looking at second hand, 30' to 40' range under 200,000

cheers

Chris
Tropical Bliss
tropicalbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 05:47   #2

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Something like this would meet your requirements.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 15:08   #3
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Privilege 12meter should fit you well.....they are proven blue water..the right size for a family....easily shorthanded crewed....in and around $200,000 american range..now I am a little partial to this boat since I own one, there are other just as capable.....good luck
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 18:23   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Hi Chris,

Tough call in the price range, but here are a few in OZ at the moment

Ruby Tuesday is for sale, Catamaran 90 for Sale Ensign Ship Brokers

I personally think it is a lot of money, but these Foam Kevlar windspeed's are a good boat, and I have sailed and worked on ones that have been cut and extended out to around the 40 ft mark.
Geoff Cruse is renowned for building Light Fast Boat's.

Another good boat if you could find one for the money is an Alfresco 920 by Grainger.

There may be a few Easy 32's around [ northerncat is building one ]

You may also find a Fastback 32 , but their older styling and solid glass construction makes them to heavy for me to consider.

The GBE sportsdeck is a compromise IMHO, originally designed as a fast off the beach style of cat and now being turned into a cruiser.
Used Sail Monohulls for Sale @ AJ Yacht Sales

Here is the original format for sale
GBE 28' CATAMARAN - Sailboats : Multihulls

A Seawind 1000 may be ok for you, and infact this one seem's alot of boat for the $$$
Used Sail Monohulls for Sale @ AJ Yacht Sales

They also can benefit well from a step extension and have done extensive offshore miles. Welcome to Siudzinski KatieKat

I wish you were around 5 years ago, I had the perfect boat for you, but she is in New Caledonia now.

Hope some of this help's

Dave
Old 14-05-2007, 21:18   #5

hi guys thanks for all the great responses

Dave i was thinking along the same lines as the GBE and also another Cat called the Rogers 10.5 here are the links that i have been using to view the two of them

2006 GREAT BARRIER EXPRESS - NEW 9m SPORTSDECK - BoatPoint Australia

Rogers 10.5 - New Yacht - Multihull Yacht Sales

the GBE looks great for the price but would it make it from Aus to Thailand without too many dramas.

Has anyone sailed on of the rogers Cats or seen one before and suma suma would it also make the trip.

i believe the GBE has water storage built in? as i am aware of overloading any sort of boat and the effects it will have on its intended purpose and performance

cheers guys

Chris
Tropical Bliss
tropicalbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 21:45   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Have a look through my gallery and you will see my last cat with the green stripe on her.

Interestingly Phil Day reckoned he was interested in buying her at one stage.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...imageuser=3119

She would sail faster and had a better sailing action than the GBE, which as I said before is a big "off the beach cat", and I feel can't carry the load that the most basic of cruisers would want to carry.

I sailed on the originals and they suffered with 4 people on board, so to then add a cabin, bigger motor and an interior to essentually the same hulls and it has to have an effect on performance.

I would'nt buy one.[ my opinion], not when you can get the original version for $120 k less, and modify. [easy for me to say]

The Adrian Rogers design does not include rig, sail,s winches refridgeration etc etc which would add almost as much as the ask in the add.

I think you will find it is a rehash of a couple of older design's and I would also check on the quality of the core material's used and the construction. [ this applies to any prospective buy]

Ask Phil if any are sailing, as they have been trying to sell them for many year's and see if you can get a ride on one and see what you think.

As I said earlier, tough on the budget you have to get a good all rounder, though I feel that the Seawid 1000, while not ideal for my want's either can carry the load and will be way more comfortable than the GBE.

Seawind has a lot of happy customer's and you could do a lot worse in my opinion.

Unfortunately for you, I think all the best cat's in that range are one off's and there owner's aint selling.

Dave

Tags
multihull