Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 06:25   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
The 1984 boat is a great buy, i wonder if they have employed staff to run it as yet.
That will cost around $40-50,000 a year to run properly before you get staff to sail it with you.
Our cat costs $30,000 a year plus to maintain properly and its only 44 ft.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 14:40   #62

Re: Aussies Don't Complain Boats Are Too Expensive

The 'cheap' price your mate paid for his Farr 52 has got nothing to do with those things 'breaking on it' - they would have still broken if he'd paid market value or if the original owner, who paid a million for it, still owned it!

If the boat has good build quality, then your mate still got a bargain. The fact that he finds it hard to sail (I don't know why - 2 people can easily sail a Farr 52), and his running costs are high, are also something he should have researched or been aware of. You can't blame the vessel. You don't mention what year the boat is but things 'breaking on it' can just be maintainence issues. We all know that yachts need constant attention to stay in top order. Maybe your mate has been unlucky and had more than his fair share of things needing fixing - that can happen. Presumably, he got the boat surveyed before forking over 300K and would've had a list of maintainence items highlighted on the survey.

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 15:08   #63
Marine Service Provider

The other issue with the 100k boat is that someone "paid" 100k for it however he may have been prepared to pay $200k for it like at any otter auction so unfortunately that means that nobody else could have bought the boat for 100k of that makes sense.

The Farr is quoted as a typical example of a large yacht that costs a lot to run that was near new.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 15:27   #64

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
Mr B
Interesting numbers - basically +50% of purchase price to get it here. But its the shipping that really kills you. $68k for shipping is probably the going rate (I had quote of $37k for 46' mono) but if you had the time and crew to sail back yourself, then its only +20% on the same boat.

So, shipping one in seems to give a boat price broadly similar to what Multihulls have their listings at - which is interesting isn't it? I'm similar to you - sold spare house and I want some funds leftover for living etc. I just need to get my head around a long time sail first up ......
A long sail first up. Depends totally on the individual, Whether you have experience gained over years, or a rank novice,
I have never done a long over seas trip, except on boats owned by other people, But I have done a fair bit of coastal boating, Here and up north, I would assume that sailing on the open ocean is a lot safer than sailing between Fraser and the mainland and island hopping up the coast of QLD, You do get sick of standing on the front of a boat watching for reefs and shoals and sandbars,

$300,000 for a boat here and then 20 or 30 grand extra to fit it out properly leaves me basically none left over to retire on,
$150,000 plus $20,000 GST Etc, for a cat from Fiji, leaves me $150,000 to retire on, Its just a matter of economics,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 18:34   #65

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
$150,000 = great boat.
You need to be able to afford to use it and enjoy it.
Based on your budget and purchase you will have a great time.
No point having a boat thats a big stress and effort,thats not what boating should be about all that stress needs to be left ashore
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 19:28   #66

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

No stress boating is what I was after,
If I bought one here, and there were plenty I looked at, I would be stressed as I would not have an income, and not enough money to enjoy the sailing of it.
Penny pinching is not for me. Done that all my life,

Even if the boat costs me up to $200-000 AUD, I am still miles in front of a boat bought here,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 08:20   #67

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here in the states one can form an offshore corporation and foreign flag the boat (Panama is popular) and it's perfectly legal. How does Australian law look at this and how long could you keep it there without fees? BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:45   #68
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

no can do, vessel is only allowed to visit for 12 moths before paying duty/gst unless you are Australian, then its due on import, but more importantly in the event of distress at sea, the distress signal is directed to the vessels country of registration for their action. Would you really want Panama to be handling a search and rescue operation for you and your vessel...or would you prefer Australian SAR on the job? You pay peanuts you get monkeys. (No offense meant to the Panamanian SAR team, but I can imagine there's more vessels registered in cheap to register/tax havens than they can seriously administer the paperwork for.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:08   #69

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Congrats Mr B, well done.

Suggest you don't hang around too long in Fiji as you want to be well on your way before the storm season arrives.
Get a delvery skipper to give you a hand, it's not a difficult passage to Oz from Fiji.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 18:44   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks for the imput on what boats really go for in Oz. I love the place and have some mates in Brisbane, but I won't be selling a boat there anytime soon...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 23:59   #71

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks for the imput on what boats really go for in Oz. I love the place and have some mates in Brisbane, but I won't be selling a boat there anytime soon...
Probably just as well.
Aus is always a fairly slow market for slightly non mainstream (for Aus) boats, and exceptionally slow right now!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 01:13   #72

I personally can't see the value in importing monohulls to Oz, there isn't enough capital gain in it.
Old 29-08-2011, 04:06   #73

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I personally can't see the value in importing monohulls to Oz, there isn't enough capital gain in it.
I agree, if your motivation is profit.
But personally, looking for a mono liveaboard is good enough reason. There are just so many more options OS and you can get a lot more 'home' for your $ than here.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 15:39   #74
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Congrats on your purchase Mr B...enjoy!

We would generally echo Dragon Lady's remarks about sailing from Fiji to Aus with the added remark that, if your Aus destination is NSW especially as far south as Sydney, then you may either need to allow extra time to approach down the Coral Sea...or else you will have to cross the Tasman. For our ~14000nm voyage from Sardinia to Sydney, the Tasman Sea took the prize (by far) for rough conditions with 4 gales (including one serious storm) and some incredibly bizarre currents. Mind you, we were crossing the Tasman in winter, but others we speak with confirm the Tasman can be an awkward passage year-round...and a very good argument for a very professional crew on board!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 16:19   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D
Congrats on your purchase Mr B...enjoy!

We would generally echo Dragon Lady's remarks about sailing from Fiji to Aus with the added remark that, if your Aus destination is NSW especially as far south as Sydney, then you may either need to allow extra time to approach down the Coral Sea...or else you will have to cross the Tasman. For our ~14000nm voyage from Sardinia to Sydney, the Tasman Sea took the prize (by far) for rough conditions with 4 gales (including one serious storm) and some incredibly bizarre currents. Mind you, we were crossing the Tasman in winter, but others we speak with confirm the Tasman can be an awkward passage year-round...and a very good argument for a very professional crew on board!
Yes, I quite agree.
Head for Bundaberg via Noumea, then head south. That's what I'm doing, stay away from the Tasman sea.
I don't believe there is ever a good time to cross the Tasman.