Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 16:03   #76

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Are all multi hulls so noisy and unpredictable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
The cost comparison is interesting. My cat is not worth a huge amount but I would have to pay much more to find a mono that could sit on her own bottom in Percy Lagoon or Hill Inlet, have 50cm draft when required, be able to surf NSW river bars in safety, average over 10 knots under autopilot for 150 mile daysails, hit high teens regularly, go from 2m draft to 50cm draft in 1 minute, carry two full sea kayaks and 3m hard dinghy, and go to windward anywhere near as well.

Finding a mono that could do do that would be really hard and awfully expensive, and she have compromises I would rather not agree to.

Cats, especially simple owner built custom cats, are great value for money if you consider all the requirements for cruising.
All good points. As far as the cost comparison goes, I think this is a sistership to your boat, right?

CHAMBERLIN PARALLAX 11.6 - AUD $130,000 negotiable
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...n-built/267285

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 17:28   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
It was a while ago, so my memory is possibly faulty on some details, but that was 1/2 way between Bermuda and the Azores and we had had similar conditions for days. And if I remember correctly there were multiple different directions for the swell because of weather a long way to the south. And to be clear, I was not racing upwind, I was balancing comfort, speed and an expected 90 degree wind-shift in 48 hours when I would tack and make our northing. As it was I almost got it right, we tacked over with the wind-shift and were within about 30 miles of Flores when the wind shifted again and we turned on the engine and motor-sailed so we could get in that day.

It's not obvious, but the instrument repeater below the clock on the wall shows:
- TWA 70
- ​TWS 28kts
​- Speed 8 knots

And though I can't swear to the calibration of the instruments, those values matched my reading of the conditions and what I have in the log. The calibration of the particular wind instruments was generally pretty good upwind, but all over the place when sailing downwind with the spinnaker up.

The only thing I wanted to show was that it is possible to have a relatively comfortable ride in reasonably windy and wavy conditions in a cruising 48' catamaran heading in an upwind direction. Sorry if I inadvertently mislead anyone. Actually beating to windward in that would have been uncomfortable in any boat I have ever personally sailed on, monohull or catamaran. And I am also pretty sure that with less weight on board, or a smaller jib rather than the half furled all-round one we were using, or with a higher performance boat, you could have easily come up at least 10 degrees if not a lot more and still been comfortable. But that is conjecture.
Do you consider 70 TWA upwind?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 17:53   #78
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Do you consider 70 TWA upwind?

It’s not downwind and the wind is forward of the beam so technically it’s gotta be upwind?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 20:15   #79

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It’s not downwind and the wind is forward of the beam so technically it’s gotta be upwind?
I guess, but it will be a long time to the windward mark!

Jim
Old 25-11-2021, 21:52   #80

Boat: Westerly 43

Used to be part owner of a 2009 FP Lavezzi which is one of the nicer looking and better performing production cats. Nice boat but it did make a lot of noise under way. The starboard hull creaked like crazy and there was a lot of noise from the water rushing under the bridgedeck. Motion was rather jerky in most conditions with constant small accelerations and decelerations. At the end of a long passage I was exhausted and my wife often got sea sick. My much heavier monohull is way more comfortable underway. However, at anchor a catamaran is unbeatable.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 02:14   #81

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
All good points. As far as the cost comparison goes, I think this is a sistership to your boat, right?

CHAMBERLIN PARALLAX 11.6 - AUD $130,000 negotiable
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...n-built/267285

Not really. This is an 11 metre Parallax designed about 15 years before mine. She has been extended and a cabin put on the open bridgedeck design. I really liked this design but Robon drew me a slightly bigger boat - larger hulls with more freeboard and payload. But this is the design that got me talking to Robin.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 03:49   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

[QUOTE=Joli;3525976]
Quote:
You've responded to this comment twice but you're wrong. Upwind in a seaway for most multis isn't quick unless they're running an engine
. You talk like all multis perform identically. That would be as silly as saying all monos can go upwind. There are a great many designs that work well upwind and and economical. Chamberlain, Crowther, Schionning, Schionning (not a duplication - there are two designers of that name), Oram, White, Lerouge, Hill, Tennant, Rapido, Outremer, Seawind (latter years), Carwadine, Kerr, Arber, to name some that spring to mind

Have you sailed any of those designs?

I do agree that There are a number of multis from three companies that are utter crap upwind, FP, Lagoon and Leopard. And they sell really well to your countrymen, so maybe that is what sailors in your part of the world want.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 03:54   #83
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Used to be part owner of a 2009 FP Lavezzi which is one of the nicer looking and better performing production cats.
Compared to what? Other Fps and lagoons maybe, but not much else
Old 26-11-2021, 10:46   #84

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Not really. This is an 11 metre Parallax designed about 15 years before mine. She has been extended and a cabin put on the open bridgedeck design. I really liked this design but Robon drew me a slightly bigger boat - larger hulls with more freeboard and payload. But this is the design that got me talking to Robin.
Ok understood, thanks
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 14:28   #85
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master56 View Post
Rubbish. Comparison of length only, perhaps, but once you consider the cost they are incomparable.
I'll see your rubbish and raise you two rubbishes, I have forced plenty of monos up to windward when social racing, plenty, on a range of cats and tris, clearly not when sailing lagoons Fps Leopards newer Nautitech, but have done so on boats that were cheaper than the monos I was making luff up.
Old 26-11-2021, 14:41   #86

Boat: Windrush Wildfire 7.2m 1978

[QUOTE=Factor;3526772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
. You talk like all multis perform identically. That would be as silly as saying all monos can go upwind. There are a great many designs that work well upwind and and economical. Chamberlain, Crowther, Schionning, Schionning (not a duplication - there are two designers of that name), Oram, White, Lerouge, Hill, Tennant, Rapido, Outremer, Seawind (latter years), Carwadine, Kerr, Arber, to name some that spring to mind

Have you sailed any of those designs?

I do agree that There are a number of multis from three companies that are utter crap upwind, FP, Lagoon and Leopard. And they sell really well to your countrymen, so maybe that is what sailors in your part of the world want.
Maybe?!! But incorrect.
Master56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 14:49   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I'll see your rubbish and raise you two rubbishes, I have forced plenty of monos up to windward when social racing, plenty, on a range of cats and tris, clearly not when sailing lagoons Fps Leopards newer Nautitech, but have done so on boats that were cheaper than the monos I was making luff up.
I raise another rubbish. You must be talking high tech multis and trimarans or you are racing against incomparable monos to your tri.
Old 26-11-2021, 17:12   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master56 View Post
I raise another rubbish. You must be talking high tech multis and trimarans or you are racing against incomparable monos to your tri.

PS. Once upon a time, for a joke, I designed a motif for a T-shirt with 'Catsareforpoofters - Club President.' Crikey the cat fraternity didn't see the funny side of it and I nearly got linched. It was pre-touchy-feely era.
Not sure why you would be "linched" for that, but also not sure why anyone would find it funny. Is this something you regularly do, make up T-shirts with "insert type of transportation here"areforpoofters - Club President" for laughs? I'm sure you have them rolling in the aisles, so clever with the equating various groups to gay men. Did you really come up with that yourself? It's so original, you must be so proud of your cleverness!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 17:13   #89
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Master56;3527223]
Quote:
I am not -

Quote:
PS. Once upon a time, for a joke, I designed a motif for a T-shirt with 'Catsareforpoofters - Club President.' Crikey the cat fraternity didn't see the funny side of it and I nearly got linched. It was pre-touchy-feely era
Hilarious, says it all really. Why the hell are you hanging around us poofters in the Multihull Forum? You ready to come out of the closet.
Old 27-11-2021, 01:18   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Not sure why you would be "linched" for that, but also not sure why anyone would find it funny. Is this something you regularly do, make up T-shirts with "insert type of transportation here"areforpoofters - Club President" for laughs? I'm sure you have them rolling in the aisles, so clever with the equating various groups to gay men. Did you really come up with that yourself? It's so original, you must be so proud of your cleverness!
Kay Riste mate! Lighten up. I think you just backed up my thoughts about multi sailors.

Tags
hull