Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 21:06   #46

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Anchor

Hi Mark M;

Yeah sorry about the reference to the anchor test comment in my last post, and raising the spectre of past anchoring "discussions". I will use the "newbie defense" this time as I had not gone through the other threads on anchors before piping up. Sorry, just joined CF recently, so Mea Culpa ! I was going through the Anchoring:Bigger is Better thread when my PC crashed and then read the rest (except for the fine detail on how tractors and ploughs work....) while waiting for my PC to be restored after crashing. Hey, you don't think the heat of that discussion had anything to do with stuffing up my PC do you?

I have to say, as a newbie here, that the more I read these forums the more I am astounded at the wealth of information, and the willingness of members to share the information that has obviously been gained by long, and sometimes painful, experience. This place is a goldmine.

As a prospective boat buyer, I'm in serious study of all issues relating to specifying equipment on our new boat project, so all of this is data to be sifted through and evaluated as best I can using whatever critical thinking skills I may have acquired. Sure, some of the information is rock solid verifiable data and some of it is biased, or incomplete, or even perhaps wrong, but at least it is available and still valuable for us who have a helluva lot to learn.

Kudos to all who contribute with honest motivation.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 22:49   #47

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Hi Andrew,

In my searching for meaningful test results (and I agree with the point of your post re test parameters vs real life situations) I found this article by a multihuller in Australia who seems to take testing quite seriously. I thought it contained some valuable information and testing took into consideration some real world scenarios such as degree of horizontal pull, shift of pull direction, mud fouling flukes when re-setting etc.

I'd be interested in your take on it.

Testing the new generation of anchors
Bob,

What was the owners experience with Excels on Keshi (FF46) a similarly sized vessel to the OP. What size was the main anchor?

Cheers

John
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 00:01   #48

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Hi downunder,

No that is probably the only thing we did not talk about specifically. I already know about Sarca anchors as I had trouble with a plow thing I got with the boat and changed to a #4 Sarca which anchored it like a rock.

I looked at Keshi's Excels and would guess the main Excel is 30Kg steel and the permanently rigged one at the stern is the alloy 8Kg Excel. I really like the anchoring rig set up on Keshi's stern, very smart.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor