Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 00:18   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Bill Crealock's boats are deck stepped. They are pretty solid boats. There is one train of thought that dismasting a keel stepped boat may result in ripping off the cabin roof.
Of course the other train of thought is that a keel-stepped mast will usually break at the lower spreaders (if it breaks), and what remains gives you more to work with for a jury-rig. In reality, I suppose anything can happen.

The Pacific Seacraft (and pre-PSC) Crealock-designed 37's, the PSC40, and the PSC44 all have keel-stepped masts. I'm not sure about the smaller PSC boats. I believe it is possible to build rugged, seaworthy boats with either deck or keel-stepped masts. Call me optimistic, but I think my mast snaps before the cabin goes on my PSC44.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46   #62
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Since people are advising boats. I put a 30ft. Columbia through the Baja Bash, and she did just fine. You also get a lot of boat with Columbia not to mention over built, but that is a good thing!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 21:13   #63

Boat: Ranger 33
Out of the Blue

Well, I wasn'`t looking at a Ranger but I saw a Ranger 33, 78 vintage...and I am impressed..yes it does have a deck stepped mast but the whole boat felt solid...the fibreglass didn't make noises when I walked all over her...yes she is a little lighter and a little narrower but, as most have said. if it feels good....
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 21:57   #64

keel stepped masts also leak around the collar where the mast penetrates the cabin roof/deck.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:26   #65

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Hey Wojo, are you already in America or still in Aussie?
Just
Quote:
didn't make noises when I walked all over her
sounds like you are already there.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:57   #66
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Masts passing through the deck can be sealed with Spartite, and it will never leak. Plus the Spartite will flex with the mast. EXTREMELY easy to apply also.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Masts passing through the deck can be sealed with Spartite, and it will never leak. Plus the Spartite will flex with the mast. EXTREMELY easy to apply also.
I've got Spartite in the mast through-deck hole, and I think it is a great system. However, it still can leak. The mast on VALIS has a boltrope slot running the entire length, and I have had to use caulking and a mast-boot to keep the water from running down the boltrope groove and dripping below.

This isn't difficult at all, and in any case you probably want a boot, so I don't think this detracts from the positive features of using Spartite.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33   #68

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
Hey Wojo, are you already in America or still in Aussie?
Just
sounds like you are already there.
Yep I'm doing the rounds of most of the marinas from Long Beach to Dana Point.

Will post if I find something, What I find annoying is the data on yachts for sale. The internet is an instantaneous thing so i why is it when a boat is sold why is it still on Yachtworld weeks later,grrrrr,,,but saying that the fun is in the looking...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35   #69

Alex...I am not going to trash entire brands...but in general...the production boats you name are mostly made for bay and coastal cruising...the kind that probably 95% of sailors do.
When used for blue water, one would not expect them to break up...but they tend to be too lightly built to stand up to the constant pounding of sea duty...or extended storms, without developing problems like deck to hull joint leaks, bulkhead separation, hatch leaks, rudder issues etc. They are also typically designed for comfort and amenities at anchor and sacrifice storage space and tankage in many cases...and the hull forms tend to pound more making for an uncomfortable ride to weather.
Again...I would emphacize that I am speaking in generalities as there are exceptions within the brands you mention that are better suited to blue water than other models.
I would also say that buying a blue water boat if you are not going blue water cruising is an equally bad idea!
This is also not to say that you can't cross an ocean in ANY boat. Just depends on how much luck you PLAN on needing...and of course the skill and experience of captain and crew trump other considerations (most of the time!).
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 18:01   #70

very true...what's the point in buying a blue water yacht if all you are going to do is coastal sailing......just have to cross that strip of water called the Pacific Ocean one time..lol...anyone know the best time in a monohull from SoCal to Queensland???
Old 08-04-2008, 22:10   #71

IMHO, coastal cruising is alot more dangerous than blue water. Yeah you lack rogue waves but you do have rocks and reefs and strange currents, and that is where most boats sink. I would rather buy a boat that is more than I need than less.
As far as the best time from SOCal to Queensland? It has to involve alot of wine, women and song. That's the best time from SoCal to Queensland.
Old 08-04-2008, 22:20   #72

Pearson 365 is a proven blue water design.

Hey Wojo,

Forgive the shamless commercial post but I think this could be the boat for you.

I am not a broker, I do not get paid if/when this boat sells it just belongs to a good friend of mine who is less internet savvy than I am so I am h elping him sell his boat. I just finished the site and started posting links today. Drop me a line through the contact link if you have any questions.

Pearson 365 For Sale

For what its worth dont spend too much time worrying about "which boat" you could probably make it in most keelboats. We're home for a year to earn money and going to make the puddle jump next March and many of our friends are crossing right now in a huge diverse group of boat types. They are all reporting "boring" crossings to polynesia and while I know the leg to Oz/NZ is sporty I think they will all be fine there too. You would be surprised what can be done with a departure date and a can do attitude.

Cheers
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 23:51   #73

The Choice

Hi Guys,
Well I finally settled on Ranger 33 1978. Over the next few months she will be getting prepared for the crossing to Hawaii which I hope will occur in July...

I searched most marinas in the L.A County area and I am very happy with what I ended up with.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	std bow.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	3317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking fwd.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	3318  

Old 17-04-2008, 01:04   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Congrats!

I like the look of that Heater...............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 01:08   #75

Boat: Lotus 10.6
love the heater Call past nz and I will buy it from you. You wont need a heater in Aussie.