Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2022, 11:39   #31

Re: What's the most seaworthy boat you can haul with a 1-ton truck?

This is something that I too have contemplated back in the early 2000s. I liked the idea of being able to haul my next boat from one location to another. The definition of seaworthy though, as noted in other posts, is a very subjective term. I have a lot of bluewater miles under my keel on other peoples boats, and I think a lot of what makes a bluewater boat is the skill of the sailor. Webb Chiles is a perfect example of what is possible in a small boat offshore.

I ended up going with a 2007 Beneteau 323, with swing keel and twin rudders and a triple axle, all disc break, galvanized trailer. The boat's width is less than 12', which as also noted earlier is very important as it eliminates chase vehicles in all states that I cared to travel through. Although it does require a wide load permit in all states. Draft is about 36" board up, 8' board down. It is about 13,000 lbs all in, and my Dodge Ram 1-ton pulls it fine, and with the disc breaks, stops it fine as well. Tow weight is more a component of breaking, than pulling. Biggest issue is making sure there is sufficient, but not too much, tongue weight to insure proper surge breaking and minimize sway. I routinely float it off, but use a lift to load it so that it is on the trailer where I want it.

Would I take the boat across the Atlantic, nope, but it probably would be fine with some upgrades. Would I take it to Bermuda, to the Bahamas, Turks, Baja California or along the thorny path, you bet. Again, it is just a matter of perspective and I am sure others have different opinions. This just happens to be mine.

If I could figure out how to load a picture in haul mode I would.
davidgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:55   #32

Pacific seacraft Dana & other Pacific seacraft.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:00   #33

Boat: Goman. Express 30

My choice was a 1964 Allied Seawind. Easily pulled with my Dodge one ton dually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finally home.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	252370  
Goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:05   #34

28 ft Bristol Channel cutter (Lyle Hess)
Expensive but, omg.

See examples for sale on yachworld
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:14   #35

Boat: no boat any more

pretty much all Mini 650s (https://www.classemini.com/) qualify. Have to be tilted on the trailer because of 3m beam.
Any of those will you get you to the other side of an ocean in abt 2/3 of the time it would take all previously mentioned boats...
Old 04-02-2022, 08:41   #36

The width of the boat is your problem. Also 10,000 lb load is back in the 27 to 30 ft range.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:36   #37

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I am down to an Albin 7.9 meter boat that is quite seaworthy and stout. She fits on a double axle trailer, but I need to have her put in the water via a sling, and the mast needs lifted by crane since it's not on a tabernacle. She weighs 4200 # dry weight and the double axle trailer is probably close to 2,000 more. Tows relatively easily behind a Ford F250 diesel.

I USED to own a wonderful Yankee 30 Mark II and had a triple axle trailer for her. 8,500 # dry. Trailer was about 2,500# on the wheels. Towed her with a 3/4 ton Ford F-250. Had both a 460 gas and a 7.3 liter diesel. Both could tow it. The issue is STOPPING. Only with electric brakes would I try it, and even then I hoped for no 'panic stops' ahead of me! Keel stepped mast needed a crane as well, so this was not a boat to use for weekending, but I'd tow her a few hundred miles every year or two to get to good cruising grounds. She had a 9' beam and was 13' tall on the trailer, so it was worrisome, but I never had any serious issues. Only once bothered with a permit since she was only 3" over on each side, and that was 10' up the air! Was never stopped.... Wonderfully seaworthy boat of S and S design...
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:57   #38

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
Only once bothered with a permit since she was only 3" over on each side
Not sure about where you are, but the fee here is a 'whopping' $20 (single trip), and you can get it online. A 6 month permit (make as many trips as you want) is $60.

The fine for not having the permit? Starts at $350...

Side note:
Moved my boat for the first time last fall. 20 min after I hit the road I noticed the front strap had loosened, so I stopped to tighten it. Wasn't on the shoulder 2 minutes when a State Trooper stopped to see what was going on. Asked me if anything was wrong and when I said 'no' his second question was: 'do you have a permit?' Pulled it up on my phone and showed it to him, chit-chatted a couple minutes about the boat, he wished me a 'good day, be safe'... and we were both on our way.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:43   #39

Some very good suggestions in boats to look for already in this thread. Many of which will suit your purposes. As previously mentioned, the height of your trailer is not ideal and may affect which boat you can choose due to the amount of draft of the boat.

Having used a 3/4 ton diesel truck to haul the following boats: 27 Catalina (1000 mile trip), 33 Alajuela (1000 mile trip), Condor 30 (3600 miles in two trips), 25 Seaward (500 mile trip), 27 Newport (1000 mile trip), and Contessa 32 (2000 mile trip) I can say all are doable. Maybe not for everyone, but for the willing.

The smaller boats were all on double axle trailers. The larger ones (Contessa and Alajuela) were on 3 axle trailers with each axle supporting 7k lbs. The 33 Alajuala was on a flatbed, which required some re-routing due to the height (13'10" tall on the trailer) in a couple of locations (for example, we could not go through the Eisenhower tunnel on the Continental divide so we went over Loveland pass instead). While the Contessa is sitting on its low slung trailer (keel is able to sit a few inches above the axle tubes), it is still a little over 13' high with the mast draped across the top.

Always an adventure, whether on the boat or pulling the boat.

Good luck in your search.
genaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:29   #40

Boat: Owned Irwin Citation 34

Also vote the Northsea 27, or the Pacific Seacraft Orion [27]. Albin Vega 27, Vancouver 28 and of course the Cape Dory 28 IMO all are very seaworthy, but not sure about ability to be towed with your rig for the last two.
MSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 18:25   #41

Boat: CL14 #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
Vancouver 28
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:33   #42

My boat, a unknown name and it doesn't alway elicit a good response when spoken but it's similar to an Alberg design. Sailboat data lists it under Trump 25. She is cutter rigged, not the typical ketch, and easy to sail in rivers or the ocean. Her righting ability (capsize) is 1.84 (suited for ocean) and stability 43.8 (powerful). She is a solid boat and pretty boat with high quality fittings (bronze). I have a 14 HP Universal that pushes her up to hull speed with power to spare. She draws only 3.5 ft. so the shallows are no problem. I'd trust this boat on any trip and in any storm. I keep her on a trailer at my home and tow her with a 6 cy Toyota although I wouldn't recommend launching from trailer or rigging mast by hand.
Byrnerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:37   #43

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

Others will disagree, but I wouldn't limit myself to the published 10,000 lbs capacity when choosing the boat. Your truck can handle significantly more. We grew up on a farm and routinely loaded half ton trucks far beyond their rated capacity with no bad outcomes. If you keep the load balanced, you don't want the front end of the truck to be light, and have sufficient brakes on the trailer you should be fine. Just go slow and steady, and as always when hauling give plenty of room between you and the vehicle ahead. You would not want to overload the truck everyday, because things will eventually break down. But for your plan of once or twice you should be fine. I used to pull a 28' sailboat from North Alabama, with a 2002 Ram 1500, every couple of years to Florida for a trip over to the Bahamas. I estimated the weight of boat/trailer and equipment of around 8,000 lbs, bumper pull, without a weight distributing hitch. With the boat balanced correctly on the trailer, it pulled and handled easily. I also once hauled over a ton in the same truck, weighed at the trash facility, this was very overloaded, but it was only a few miles, and at low speeds, again the truck was fine. You will have to consider beam, at 10' my boat would require a wide load permit to move it. I never had one, but I can tell you on the interstate at night beside 18-wheelers the tolerances would get a bit close for comfort. Good luck!
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 15:13   #44

poor advice if crossing steep mountain ranges
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 21:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goman View Post
My choice was a 1964 Allied Seawind. Easily pulled with my Dodge one ton dually.
Hey. Sorry if this is a weird question, but I've been restoring a 65 allied seawind ketch, and I was wondering where you got your trailer? If it's not too forward I would also love to know the approximate cost.
CampbellSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, seaworthy