Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 09:44   #1

What Sailboat Do You Have ?

I am a 24 yr old recent college grad. I am trying to get back into sailing so that here in a few years I can get a boat when I can afford it.

Here is the question: What type of sailboat do you own? And, more importantly, why? Why did you choose that boat out of all of the others? Size, brand, year, handling, rigging style, cabin, price? What is it that stood out enough for you to put the money down?

Thanks in advanced. I am trying to figure out what type of sailboats I like best.
Stephenrhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 09:51   #2

Boat: Morgan 41 Classic, Adastra
Hi....we've got a beautiful,

fat, 1988 Morgan Classic. She's everything we need to cruise the Caribbean. Bought her in Annapolis last February and hubby and friends sailed her home.
LibLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:04   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
We have a 1984 Nassau. This is the same boat,factory etc as the Tatoosh just marketed under a different name.

We looked at many but in the end, this was the perfect boat for us because of it hit the right note when we were looking at very different perspectives. He wanted fast, I wanted sea kindliness, etc. He wanted something that was a "good sailor" I wanted a cabin that felt comfortable and home like. Our boat was the perfect compromise between what I wanted and what my husband wanted. Now we are both happy.

In the end we bought what we felt was a very sea worthy boat which made me feel safe. I trust my boat to take care of me. That is a huge deal for me.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:07   #4

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
1962 Pearson Triton (28')

I bought my Triton because I was looking for a sailboat under 30' that I could afford and that would take me around the world. I did not have a lot of cash and didn't want to finance, and the asking price was right--$500.00. Of course, I spent probably around 6,000 over the next two years on a major refit. I'm taking off in June of 2012 to see the world from the deck of a small sailboat--that of my wonderful Dove.

Good luck finding a boat that will suit your needs and requirements. And have fun.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:09   #5

Longest waterline and lightest practical weight for the money. Fast is fun.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:21   #6

I optained my H28 because I didnt want any cored material...at first I wanted a pearson triton or alberg 30, both have cored decks...so I started looking at other alternative made in canada...chalenger 7.4 solid glass for under $2000...northern 25 solid glass and very good boat also in the $2000 range...as I was driving out to see a northern 25 at $1000, I saw my H28 and the marina was asking $2000...I spent the day inspecting the boat (every inches) and all she needed was a clean up and some paint...this boat is rock solid and has way more storage then the pearson or alberg...it as good or better sailor...lucky for me not many knows about the Hinterhoeller28
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I got my Corribee 21 coz its all I could afford at the time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:31   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I bought my Triton because I was looking for a sailboat under 30' that I could afford and that would take me around the world. I did not have a lot of cash and didn't want to finance, and the asking price was right--$500.00. Of course, I spent probably around 6,000 over the next two years on a major refit. I'm taking off in June of 2012 to see the world from the deck of a small sailboat--that of my wonderful Dove.

Good luck finding a boat that will suit your needs and requirements. And have fun.
I am glad to see someone else can appreciate being frugal.I am searching for the same type of boat.It makes more sense to me,to go that route.I can outfit it the way I want it to.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:53   #9

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Let me expand on your question. The type of sailboat you need depends on what kind of sailing your going to do. There are kick ass performance boats that are great for day or weekend sailing and tremendous fun or are you going to cruise and live aboard which is a whole different breed of boat. My second boat was a 32 foot sloop and was designed for performance and I had great times for 20 years. My current boat is 41 foot ketch because although I still want performance I need space and wanted a ketch for ease of sail handeling in adverse conditions.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 11:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

And for some of us just having a boat is essential... what it is don't matter... as long as it'll be capable of taking you where and when you want to go...
But for some the size needed is larger than that for others...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 11:42   #11

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Bought my 20 ft Windrose because it was a trailerable and was in great condition. I also recently bought a 27 ft Catalina and keep it slipped in Oak Harbor, Washington. I bought the Catalina because I wanted a boat to sail in the Pacific Northwest and it was in great shape and the PO was desperate to sell. I commute back and forth between Ohio and Oak Harbor. (The Admiral won't relocate)
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 12:13   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
My needs: long waterline, excellent ventillation, walk-thru transom, aft cockpit, easily short-handed, points high to weather, keeps the wife happy.

My wife's needs: excellent ventilation, easily short-handed, doesn't feel like a cave down below, huge galley, a big enough cockpit to entertain four couples.
Old 27-01-2011, 12:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
1981 Cooper 416 Pilothouse

It's very well suited for the PNW. Comfortable in wet weather, roomy for living on, easy to single hand. It's bright down below, thanks to the pilothouse, and has good deck space. Room for guests. I've upgraded and added a lot to the systems and still have more to do but I felt at the time (and still do) that it was a solid boat worth the price and effort.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 13:55   #14

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
I wanted a boat around 30' because I thought it was the best compromise between what I could afford, the cruising I intended to do (from Brittany to Britain, Ireland and Spain), the capability to berth 4 people and the comfort I wanted for my girlfriend (who had no experience of sailing).

I wanted the following features: a double-berth cabin in the stern, a wide cockpit with comfortable coamings to sit on top, roomy cockpit lockers for gear and sails (I prefer hank-on sails), the ability to sail efficiently in rough weather (sail carrying power and seakindliness).

I had some prior pleasant experience on Gib'Sea 302 in varied conditions, so I got one when I found it. I have not been disappointed.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 14:50   #15

Boat: C & C 24
1977 C&C 24

Need a boat I can sail alone, spent a lot of time looking, fell into a great deal (boat, motor, all rigging fine, great shape, $250.)
The deals are out there, if you can wait for them.
Madhatter23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat