Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 10:34   #46

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: What Do You Think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilostahl View Post
...Get in-mast furling and you'll never need an electric winch. Just something else that can go wrong.
And in-mast furling isn't? You've led a sheltered life.
Old 29-06-2020, 11:03   #47

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
How do you over-ride in-mast furling when it goes feral? And whilst I’m not suggesting in-mast furling is systemically troublesome, please don’t say that it never goes wrong.
I have to agree Cassidy, I was one of three on board a 43’ Moody sailing from Antigua to Spain. About halfway between Bermuda and the Azores the circuit breaker powering the main winch decided to burn out. This wasn’t so bad during the day but at night without auto helm (which was another problem) we needed two on deck to control the boat in changeable weather. It was a nightmare we couldn’t fix but we did manage to sort out the Auto helm in Horta.
I have a Hunter 430 with inmast furling now. Unfortunately he main has been repaired and the additional bulk has made it almost impossible to to manage the main single handed.
These are my only encounters with inmast furling and they haven’t gone well.
Old 29-06-2020, 11:46   #48
cruiser

Hahaha! Good advice from Loneshark64! (Where do we get these noms de plume? At least it's not Loanshark).

An electric windlass will bring up an anchor. It will also take off your fingers. I know an instance of this happening to an experienced sailor. I feel about them the same way Rod Stephens felt about a reel winch: "It has no place on any boat." Relying on electricity afloat is, in my opinion, a bad practice unless you have a BSEE.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:18   #49

Boat: a sailing boat

There very few problems from well maintained and managed in-mast furlers. Not more than from equally well maintained slab reefs!

If things ever go wrong, well you send someone up the mast, someone with a very sharp mast. Too bad then if your sail is a spectra laminate.

Like any system, when they are of (C--p) quality - AVOID. If they are good design and well maintained - no issue.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 20:43   #50

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I retired at 62 and bought a 38ft catamaran in Grenada. I am now 75 and still enjoying myself. I can still do the heavier maintenance, but get other to do it now because my body will let me know for the next few days. I have a winchrite to help with some of the chores and it makes life easier. Winter 2018-2019 it broke and I had to hand crank. It wasn't all that bad. I often sailed with an extra reef, which is now more common. You will slowly become more cautious like me, especially since I single hand most of the time

Modern sailboat are not much more difficult to handle than a powerboat, so go for what you want. Your body will tell you when to swallow the anchor.
Old 30-06-2020, 11:40   #51

Reflexes and balance are far more important than strength on a small boat. When I was 30 I could jump into the dinghy. Now I hold onto something as I carefully step. That alone hasn’t made me stop cruising but when I feel that I’m unsteady on a healed and pitching foredeck it will be time to move ashore.

I know two older cruisers who were badly hurt and almost killed themselves in companionway falls.

It’s very easy to miss a step on the companionway and fall back — hitting your head or breaking a hip.

The good news is that time on the boat will somewhat improve your flexibility and reflexes. Nothing is flat, level, or steady. The body adapts.

This is not meant to discourage you but be honest with yourself about how nimble you still are.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 12:08   #52

I’d also suggest you set your sights first on the Bahamas rather than the Caribbean. Lots of beautiful islands to explore and an incredibly friendly people - but no long passages to get there and you can get back to Florida In a few days if things go wrong.

After a year or two you can go onto the Caribbean - or not. Many cruisers find all they need in the Bahamas.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 13:03   #53

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

I agree with what CarlF said in his post #51 above:

"I know two older cruisers who were badly hurt and almost killed themselves in companionway falls."

-In 20,000 miles of cruising the worst accident I had was coming out of the cabin....with a cup of coffee in EACH hand. Got thrown against the hatch combing and think I cracked a couple of ribs. But I was boat sitting in the USVI so I just laid there for a few days and all was well. (You've gotta watch out for those epic voyages from Charlotte Amalie to Fajardo.)
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 13:08   #54

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Boatman61 said in post #25:
"Don't forget to install a solar panel and get rechargeable batteries for the wench.."

Gotta just love your Freudian slip OR do you know something you're not sharing about boat equipment?
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 13:13   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I single handed a 35' boat to Hawaii at 65, delivered the new to me 28' sailboat from SF to SoCal at 74. If I don't have the ability/strength to sail a boat without electric winches, the boat is too big for me to sail safely. Somehow can't get into the point and try and stay awake motor boat mentality.

KISS, slab reefing, run mainsail lines aft, maintain an active lifestyle and no reason that you can't sail long past 70.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 16:22   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfant Du Vent View Post
Boatman61 said in post #25:
"Don't forget to install a solar panel and get rechargeable batteries for the wench.."

Gotta just love your Freudian slip OR do you know something you're not sharing about boat equipment?
That was no Freudian slip, The previous posters used the word "wench". The rechargeable batteries would be to keep the "electric wench" running.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote