Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 20:31   #1

Smile wanted rent to own

Hi im looking for a liveaboard 43ft to 65ft yacht or 40ft + catamaran or trimaran, rent to own,
mast, motor, rigging and hull must be in good condition,
prefer survey been done, or can arange for the right person to get one done at our expence, so we know what condition she is in
all offers will be considered,

must have enough room for me, my partner, daughter and 2 dogs, can afford to pay up to $400 pwk, with a lump sum at the end, of contract, or sooner
depending on price and what we can afford a 1 to 3 year contract/ agreement, we both have good referances, and both of us in full time work, and both been in our jobs for over two years,

we are in townsville and can sail her back here or if you want you can sail her here,
and can discuss for you to come and inspect every 6-8mths for your own piece of mind,

as we are not planning on leaving townsville for at least 5yrs as our daughter has just started high school and want her to stay in the same school untill she has finished,
my dad is a boat builder by trade so any cosmetic work is not an issue and you know that she will be looked after while under contract,

we are both honest people looking to ecape the rental market and live on and own our own yacht, to try and get ahead in life, i have lived on the sea before, and my dream is to get back on the sea, and show my partner and daughter why i love it so,

this is a serious offer,

weekly payments will be direct debited to your account, just like rent, you can speak to my landlord, our bosses, etc, anyone you need to, and any paper work you wanted,

we will need to give our land lord a months notice, as that is our agreement with him
but we are paid up seven weeks in advance, so if you could give us at least 6 weeks before we can come and get her, that would be fantastic, or you drop her off?, what ever you prefer,

bond and first two weeks payment just like a rental, will be put into your account on the day of hand over with you at the bank, and signing of paper work, same day, and any spare cash that we have at the time

i know there is alot of scams out there, but im not one of them and im smart enough not to be scammed either, so no money from me will be paid untill i know for sure im not being ripped off and will be paid on hand over of keys, and paper work of yacht handed to me, and my paper work and money handed to you and signing of contract,

need something by at least october would be great

as i said before i have good referances and they all check out, so fingers crossed someone honest will answer to this add and give an honest family a chance
inyadreams2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 04:26   #2

Re: wanted rent to own

Really?

A 65' live aboard for $400 a month.

In the immortal words of the castle "tell him he's dreaming".

Good luck.
Stendecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 04:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Who pays for the:

Insurance
Slip fees
Maintenance
Refurbishment
??????????????
$1,500/mo is not unreasonable....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:12   #4
cruiser

She did say $1600/mo.

But, the slip will round that up to $2000/ mo plus she has electricity to worry about. Heating?

It will not be cheap.

Suggestion: I'm impatient too. Instead of jumping on a boat that will be all old, barely working and beaten up from living aboard, while paying out the nose to do it, get a rental unit in the cheapest part of town with the same square footage of living space and save that $1600/mo up.

The catamaran you will be able to get with the $96,000 you will have after putting $1600 a month aside is a wooden Wharram or a Catalac. Not much else in that price range. Plenty of 45 or 50ft monos in that range thogh. I am assuming you do not qualify for credit and will be paying cash?

Will you have an income once you go cruising? If so, spend the next 5 years saving and building your credit. Then you can use half of the $96,000 for a down payment and the other half to make payments, then sell the boat when you are done.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:16   #5
cruiser

Or get an rv for 5 years. Cheaper.

Or rent a houseboat.

Livng in the real boat while paying $1600 $(2000)/mo is not going to get you where you want to be the fastest.

You would have a 45' monohull paid off in that amount of time only! assuming zero interest.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:21   #6

I honestly wish you the best of luck, but I have to say that I have never heard of anyone selling a boat on a "rent to own" basis. Of course, in today's market, who knows?

Some indication of where you are located, other than just "townsville," would also be helpful to anyone who might consider offering you a deal. This is an international forum. We have people from all over the world participating here. My guess is that there are a whole bunch of different "townsvilles" around the world.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
She did say $1600/mo.

But, the slip will round that up to $2000/ mo plus she has electricity to worry about. Heating?

It will not be cheap.

Suggestion: I'm impatient too. Instead of jumping on a boat that will be all old, barely working and beaten up from living aboard, while paying out the nose to do it, get a rental unit in the cheapest part of town with the same square footage of living space and save that $1600/mo up.

The catamaran you will be able to get with the $96,000 you will have after putting $1600 a month aside is a wooden Wharram or a Catalac. Not much else in that price range. Plenty of 45 or 50ft monos in that range thogh. I am assuming you do not qualify for credit and will be paying cash?

Will you have an income once you go cruising? If so, spend the next 5 years saving and building your credit. Then you can use half of the $96,000 for a down payment and the other half to make payments, then sell the boat when you are done.
I think you missed my point... If somebody wants to pay $1600/mo to "rent to own".... I suggest that a reasonable list of monthly expenses could be $1500/mo .... On the 2 extremes... If the owner is paying expenses, he nets $100/mo .... If the "tenant" pays expenses, they are really looking at $3100/mo... quite a bit more than $400 a week...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:34   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I wish you luck, however the thought of two dogs on a basically rented boat is very questionable. You do realize that the boat you are looking for would bareboat charter in the $6,000 a week range!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 14:54   #9

thankyou for the reply's and I wish me luck too, I would pay for all maintenance, slip fee's and insurance while undercontract, I won't have to pay for power or water, because of solar, and I get water from my work or family, the bank has said they will give me the money after my land cruiser is paid off, but that's 8mths away, so I thought id try to get on one sooner, have had offers before, but the yachts were too small for what im after and as for my dogs, it would be my own yacht I am paying off, I understand people want money up front but for someone finding hard to sell their yacht in todays market, no one is buying well in Australia anyway, so I thought id give it a shot, no harm in trying whats the worst the could say, no?
Old 25-03-2014, 20:20   #10
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyadreams2008 View Post
thankyou for the reply's and I wish me luck too, I would pay for all maintenance, slip fee's and insurance while undercontract, I won't have to pay for power or water, because of solar, and I get water from my work or family, the bank has said they will give me the money after my land cruiser is paid off, but that's 8mths away, so I thought id try to get on one sooner, have had offers before, but the yachts were too small for what im after and as for my dogs, it would be my own yacht I am paying off, I understand people want money up front but for someone finding hard to sell their yacht in todays market, no one is buying well in Australia anyway, so I thought id give it a shot, no harm in trying whats the worst the could say, no?
I rented my boat to a guy with a dog the dog met a cold watery death so think about it don't be stupid.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:29   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I rented to a guy with a dog and it tore the crap out of my brightwork. Never again.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 16:26   #12

sorry but what part of rent to OWN! don't you people understand????
I don't want to rent and give it back??
I want to Buy the boat by paying it off, weekly then the boat will be mine!, with a lump sum pay out in about 8mths time when I pay my landcruiser off, my dad is a boat builder by trade! and can help keep it maintained.
the bank will give me the money, they have already told me, I can afford it, just thought id give this a go to try and get on one sooner

and im not stupid! thankyou very much, I have been around yachts and yachties my whole life, and they have dogs,
just because one person didn't look after their dog, doesn't give you the right to call me stupid, but I forgive your pigheadedness,

if people read the post, and my reply you might get it, I don't mean to sound rude but if you don't have an offer for me don't post, simple!,

thought this site would help me, but by the look off it, it is filled with people with nothing better to do than pick on others dreams,

my price range is up to $45,000 if any one is interested please message me if not, keep your comments to your self, and before anyone gets a chance to say you can't buy a yacht for that price, yes I can! there are a few in Australia at present for that and cheaper, looking at 2, 60ft at the moment one for $38,000 and one for $50,000 but want money up front and fair enough too, and in 8mths I will have that,
Old 27-03-2014, 16:55   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyadreams2008 View Post
sorry but what part of rent to OWN! don't you people understand????
I don't want to rent and give it back??
I want to Buy the boat by paying it off, weekly then the boat will be mine!, with a lump sum pay out in about 8mths time when I pay my landcruiser off, my dad is a boat builder by trade! and can help keep it maintained.
the bank will give me the money, they have already told me, I can afford it, just thought id give this a go to try and get on one sooner

and im not stupid! thankyou very much, I have been around yachts and yachties my whole life, and they have dogs,
just because one person didn't look after their dog, doesn't give you the right to call me stupid, but I forgive your pigheadedness,

if people read the post, and my reply you might get it, I don't mean to sound rude but if you don't have an offer for me don't post, simple!,

thought this site would help me, but by the look off it, it is filled with people with nothing better to do than pick on others dreams,

my price range is up to $45,000 if any one is interested please message me if not, keep your comments to your self, and before anyone gets a chance to say you can't buy a yacht for that price, yes I can! there are a few in Australia at present for that and cheaper, looking at 2, 60ft at the moment one for $38,000 and one for $50,000 but want money up front and fair enough too, and in 8mths I will have that,
Sheesh, mate, unknot your knickers and relax a bit. When you post a question on this or any forum, you must be prepared for contrary responses, inappropriate responses, unkind responses, and with luck, some that address your questions or comments.

You would have gotten different responses if you had mentioned your budget from the getgo. 60 plus foot yachts for under 45,000 dollars are pretty much bound to be project boats with many drawbacks. This fact might mean that an owner will find them very difficult to sell, and thus he might be willing to go to a "rent to own" scheme... who knows?

Sadly, your abrupt response has likely turned off some helpful people who could have been beneficial to you now that you have better explained your plan and your budget.

I still wish you good luck in your endeavour.

Jim
Old 27-03-2014, 18:15   #14

I know im sorry having a bad day, the yachts im looking at are mostly jump on away you go with some cosmetic work, but nothing major, so I can tinker away at my own pace, some nothing need done at all, again im sorry, hope you have a good day,
Old 27-03-2014, 18:24   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Rent to own is still a contract to purchase. It's the place you start the deal. The intent is to purchase and you need sufficient money in the game to assure a seller you really will follow through. It's the bottom line! If the contract leads anyone to think you can pay the weekly rent then walk away it clearly isn't going to happen. You'll need money down up front to make the deal even get off the ground. This is not the way normal boat deals get done so you'll need to show exceptionally good faith up front. Never hurts if you are nice people and build trust up front with the seller too. There is a people side to any deal and trust carries a lot.

Cash down is the grease! It is really all about the money so don't think you get past that without a serious effort. If it looks like you'll skate after a while no one is dumb enough to bite. Being nice isn't really enough, but it is required!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rent to own, wanted