Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 16:58   #1

Trucking a Boat

I am thinking of buying a 35' sailboat on Lake Ontario and having it shipped to FL. Does anyone have recent experience with moving a boat? What was the cost? Any recommendation of a moving company?

Thanks,

Drew
Fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 18:14   #2

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
Re: Trucking a Boat

I had to go look at my invoice and paperwork.

Winston Trucking Inc.
9087 SW I-10 Frontage Road
Sealy,Tx 77474

I trucked a 42' Sailboat from San Diego to Norfolk Feb 2020. 14'3" ish tall (keel to top of Pilothouse), an inch shy of maximum hieght. 13' wide. height and width required extra pilot cars, fees, permits and special route. it was $12,800 for the move. $1800 in San Diego to pull the mast and load the boat. $200 to off load the boat in norfolk and another $200 to put it in the water. expect $200-400 to reinstall the stick but I'm taking the opportunity to paint and finish refitting the mast.

i gout a qoute from San Diego Boat Movers when i was initially setting everything up for the move. they wanted $24K+. the prices are typically taking the boat to destination and the return trip for the truck. IF you work it out in advance they can get another boat for the return trip so you don't have to pay for the return trip.

I asked Winston Trucking after i got here what the cost would be to go from Norfolk to Washington - i retire from the military in a few years. he told me it would be about $14500 and things are more expensive going west. he also said he expects the prices to go up by the time i retire. they were very busy and had a load going from one coast to the other every week, not sure how many trucks they were running.
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 23:08   #3

Boat: Hunter 380

Thanks for that info. I am pricing from Dallas to seabrook
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 04:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
I had to go look at my invoice and paperwork.

Winston Trucking Inc.
9087 SW I-10 Frontage Road
Sealy,Tx 77474

I trucked a 42' Sailboat from San Diego to Norfolk Feb 2020. 14'3" ish tall (keel to top of Pilothouse), an inch shy of maximum hieght. 13' wide. height and width required extra pilot cars, fees, permits and special route. it was $12,800 for the move. $1800 in San Diego to pull the mast and load the boat. $200 to off load the boat in norfolk and another $200 to put it in the water. expect $200-400 to reinstall the stick but I'm taking the opportunity to paint and finish refitting the mast.

i gout a qoute from San Diego Boat Movers when i was initially setting everything up for the move. they wanted $24K+. the prices are typically taking the boat to destination and the return trip for the truck. IF you work it out in advance they can get another boat for the return trip so you don't have to pay for the return trip.

I asked Winston Trucking after i got here what the cost would be to go from Norfolk to Washington - i retire from the military in a few years. he told me it would be about $14500 and things are more expensive going west. he also said he expects the prices to go up by the time i retire. they were very busy and had a load going from one coast to the other every week, not sure how many trucks they were running.

Excellent info, thanks!!
Old 15-04-2021, 04:46   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I would recommend Hurricane Marine Transport, out of Ohio. I and several of my friends have used them. Try and find out if they have an empty trailer going south for a pick up to bring north. This is the time of the year that some boats get shipped north for the summer, so there may be an empty trailer going your desired direction, and they will gladly offer a discount to fill a trailer. I had mine moved north in the fall as other boats were being moved south, it cost me roughly $3,000 or so if I recall from a few years ago.

Boat Transportation Experts | Hurricane Marine Transport
Old 15-04-2021, 06:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I would recommend Hurricane Marine Transport, out of Ohio. I and several of my friends have used them. Try and find out if they have an empty trailer going south for a pick up to bring north. This is the time of the year that some boats get shipped north for the summer, so there may be an empty trailer going your desired direction, and they will gladly offer a discount to fill a trailer. I had mine moved north in the fall as other boats were being moved south, it cost me roughly $3,000 or so if I recall from a few years ago.

Boat Transportation Experts | Hurricane Marine Transport
Great info....thanks!
Old 15-04-2021, 06:58   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

I paid $2,350 to Great Lakes Transport to move my 34' from Racine WI (Lk Mich) to Bayfield WI (Lk Sup) this time last year. Approx 400 miles. It was a positive experience.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat