Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:06   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Bridge Deck....... ??? WTF.....???
Searching for Nits here....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29   #62
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
When exactly do you plan to buy?
Don't have a date. Letting the weather, money, and boats dictate. Have one boat model my heart goes pitter-patter for...but I have to also be looking out for others that might give more bang for the buck, better sailer, bigger, and be available. And that secondary search is what is proving difficult. There are so many damn good boats.

Also preparing for fall, since we are basically off-season right now in buyers market...

And of course the economy...which is terrifying and make me want to save more just in case a rainy day. I'm not one of these rich folks here who will ever be able to retire on a 401k or has a house to sell for rum.

But learning a lot from you all...

Young Sun - goes onto my list btw.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bridge Deck....... ??? WTF.....???
Searching for Nits here....
Yup Bridge Deck...even washing machines have them so you don't flood your apartment or bathtub. and I'm too lazy to build one.

BTW love these Brit boats.
Old 01-06-2010, 14:23   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yup Bridge Deck...even washing machines have them so you don't flood your apartment or bathtub. and I'm too lazy to build one.

BTW love these Brit boats.
We use canvas things called Sprayhoods... work just great.
and if it looks a bit lumpy(12ft+).. bang in the washboards and shut the hatch...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 01-06-2010, 14:37   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We use canvas things called Sprayhoods... work just great.
and if it looks a bit lumpy(12ft+).. bang in the washboards and shut the hatch...
Really? Thats wonderful. Beautiful. And when it gets torn off by a ripper, how is that helpful? I take down my dodger approaching 40+. Or you get a wave in your tub going downstream you think some lousy washboards are going to save your cabin? How exactly does a dodger help you on a run? Do I get in front of it?

Hard topped sprayhood? Great, If I go turtle it will make for a nice new salt water ballast keel.

No, Ill go for a postage stamp pit and a bridge deck any day. WTF I can use the bridge deck as another cockpit locker.
Old 01-06-2010, 14:58   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Go small! Go now!

A relative?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:20   #67
cruiser

David's a genius.

"Welp, SaltyMonkey"...I know what u r asking. "What kinda boat DID you like that you owned? Maybe that will help narrow down options?"

Contessa 26. Loved that boat. Pointed high. Solid. steered soooo easy. I love tillers. Love them. Love them. Love them. Can feel everything. Don't understand wheels. How can you exclude what the sea is telling you? Contessa locked into a slot and didnt budge a heel beyond 20-30.

Ok, lousy to live in long term. any term No head room. But on a journey not so bad with a small heel. You get standing room then.

inside. Ahhh that pressurized Taylor kerosene stove and heater. I miss it. Pressure cooker. Dog bowls for plates. Bucket for a head. Used an oil lamp for light. Built a removable chart table over one of the bunks.

Wind vane, extra battery, solar panels, taff rail log, tricolour light. roachless/battenless triple reef and stitched main; double reef'd jib. threw way the roller. new rigging, barefoot on deck ALWAYS so I can FEEL WTF was going on. FEEL I SAY!!! FEEL!!!

THATS IT!!! FEEL WITH ME YOU SCRAGGLY DOGS!!! FEEEL!

SaltyMonkey remembered the simplicity. except for that damned bridge deck. I needed a goddamg bridge deck for that lousy eskimo hatch was worthless!

David's a genius.
Old 01-06-2010, 15:32   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Really? Thats wonderful. Beautiful. And when it gets torn off by a ripper, how is that helpful? I take down my dodger approaching 40+. Or you get a wave in your tub going downstream you think some lousy washboards are going to save your cabin? How exactly does a dodger help you on a run? Do I get in front of it?
Depends how you build your washboards... if a wave can punch em out it can punch out your ports as well....

If I'm runnimg before the wind and its sunny n hot, I'll get my head in the shade.. certain strength I'll get the hood down and strap it.. usually around 35kts.. but by then I'm probably hove to if heading to windward in big sea.. sg: S/easterly in the Biscay.
afta the beam I'll run.. so I get the odd slop once in a blue moon... but she surfs a treat..
tired.. with breaking seas I heave to and read or crash out.
40+ hove to with reefed main, or laying ahull.. depending on sea state.. well I am, bugger that macho topside stuff.

And yes I've experienced watching green water over the deck hatches.. that was a 37ftr in 60kts+... .. don't you just love the way you hear it coming.. then a 2 second silence then the BANG...

But I do agree about a tiller.. love em..

Old 01-06-2010, 15:59   #69
cruiser

Ahhh BoatMan61, you are a genius too. No doubt about that.

But call me terribly old school. Got to have me my bridge deck. Maybe a few too many old stinkin books from the sailor library over the years, or bad experiences on el Contessa. Besides, I can use the bridge deck for a fashion runway in port with pretty girls on them walking and parading up and down just for me...with the dodger acting as an orchestra shell.

In any case, I seem to have learned I am old school. And if not a fisher need that old school boat with a tiller. And little else. Or something as close as possible. Small or not. Hence the list becomes or remains

Tayana 37
Cape Dory 36
HC 33
Westsail 32
Ingrid 38
Alajeula 33
Young Sun 35

And my inside steering in order of liking:

Fisher 30
Gulf 32
LM 30

We'll keep these on the sides to look at:

Morgan 382, 383, 384
Cape Dory 33, 31, 30

I'm still undecided about the Aires 32 I see for sale...

And a couple of one offs...

1988 Cape Dory 300 MS pilothouse motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale -

2006 Custom Steel Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 01-06-2010, 16:23   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Now you tell me..
Hell.. I'm all for the leggy birds strutting their stuff...
I'm converted...

Hang on...
Are you the guy who asked for the long legged bird and got an ostrich and a mean cat.....

Old 01-06-2010, 18:27   #71
cruiser

Im the guy who loves all the birds and wishes to win the bloody lotto so I can keep them all happy....even if they are married to other blokes...(psst dont tell other blokes please)

ummm...sorta like boats...if you think about it
Old 02-06-2010, 13:33   #72

Quote:
cutter rig though?
and what in tarnation would a SaltyMonkey do with a flat screen monitor and a microwave over?
me thinks all are glass on the side decks, only teak on cabin top?
how's the price look on these?
i love shopping of others!
Greg
Old 02-06-2010, 13:51   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8trn View Post
cutter rig though?
and what in tarnation would a SaltyMonkey do with a flat screen monitor and a microwave over?
me thinks all are glass on the side decks, only teak on cabin top?
how's the price look on these?
i love shopping of others!
Greg
gr8trn:

Thank god you are around. You pointed out very good points.

SaltyMonkey has no need for a stinking microwave and monitor and would throw these over the side or give them to some unsuspecting cruising couple.

I would also dump any stereo I found. I have NO idea why people play stereos while sailing? I need to listen to everything around me. Its like sailing blindfolded.

Cutter rig - yes SaltyMonkey should not get cutters u r right. For his own sake. Its a major mistake waiting to happen.

Teak top - yes I didn't even notice this. I guess i was taken by the fact that it had fiberdecks. I was so excited I found this listing I guess I missed the obvious.

Honestly, not sure this is right for me by the fact that there aren't too many listings out there to pick from. Actually, there is only three right now. strange range: 60k, 86k and 74k Compare that to say CD's.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52   #74

Try this. http://www.orr.co.nz/galiano/ I don't know the people or price but suspect it would be well within your range. You won't know the boat but they are very seaworthy and a number have done major blue water longterm voyages. Besides for an airfare you could get a head start.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:19   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Try this. http://www.orr.co.nz/galiano/ I don't know the people or price but suspect it would be well within your range. You won't know the boat but they are very seaworthy and a number have done major blue water longterm voyages. Besides for an airfare you could get a head start.
Lovely boat and looks like they performed a lot of work on it. Too far west...or is it east..for my needs though.

Here is an example of a design on the edge that I have never heard of before catching the eye of my wallet!