Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2012, 00:20   #256

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Just a tad bit of changes. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3188473147.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	47184  
Old 26-09-2012, 05:56   #257

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II
Re: The Death of the Ketch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali Hai View Post
I have an Amel and with each boat comes a full time mechanic and French maid who does the cooking. Unfortunately I dont speak French and have to fix the boat and cook myself which is really maintenence and part of the fun. The Amels are fantastic boats for offshore voyages. And extremely reliable. Most are ketchs. Frankly, day sailing a simply boat is fun, but serving up a frosty beverage long after your ice has melted, is awesome. Pushing buttons to unroll the main and jib is nice, but the best is rolling them up (reefing) without risking life and limb at the mast. I dont even get wet in my vinyl villa. And I dont miss putting on heavy offshore foulies, googles at times, to take the the 4 am watch in 30- 50 knot breezes. been there, done that to many times Its a new world with ipods, touch screen nav, AIS, etc. Love it. I agree with Roland.
Here is a real case of experience with one of the most reliable and beautifull boat on Earth! I met several owners of older models such as the 54 in the Med and they all loved their boat, so yes it does not have the old marine look, it is not made for low budget sailing but this is one of the greatest ketch one could find to sail around the world in comfort and security IMHO. And I will keep on dreaming of owning one !
Old 26-09-2012, 08:42   #258

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14
Gary, looks like you added more roach to the main, and sized up the mizzen considerably.
How does this affect trim? You must have moved CE aft a fair bit
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 22:47   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_jack View Post
Gary, looks like you added more roach to the main, and sized up the mizzen considerably.
How does this affect trim? You must have moved CE aft a fair bit

The boat is still in service this season. The dream (nightmare) starts when I pull her this fall.
Old 27-09-2012, 00:37   #260

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali Hai View Post
I have an Amel and with each boat comes a full time mechanic and French maid who does the cooking. Unfortunately I dont speak French and have to fix the boat and cook myself which is really maintenence and part of the fun. The Amels are fantastic boats for offshore voyages. And extremely reliable. Most are ketchs. Frankly, day sailing a simply boat is fun, but serving up a frosty beverage long after your ice has melted, is awesome. Pushing buttons to unroll the main and jib is nice, but the best is rolling them up (reefing) without risking life and limb at the mast. I dont even get wet in my vinyl villa. And I dont miss putting on heavy offshore foulies, googles at times, to take the the 4 am watch in 30- 50 knot breezes. been there, done that to many times Its a new world with ipods, touch screen nav, AIS, etc. Love it. I agree with Roland.
An Amel is certainly the very best yacht for crossing oceans and serious passages. While in a storm that moved N, S, E and W in the Bay of Bengal, we remained in control, dry, comfortable, stood watches, showered daily, ate regular meals (except for 1 day) and slept regular hours in Force 9 conditions for a 4-day period in an Amel 53 ketch. When we arrived in Sri Lanka we were rested. We logged 1600 miles rather than 1000 as we attempted to miss the worst part of the storm. Our main sail was damaged, but was repaired easily when we reached Sri Lanka. A yacht 25 miles from our position declared a Mayday and abandoned ship. The storm killed 35 Sri Lankans on shore. Unbelievably the LO was never named, nor was it predicted. Thank goodness we were on an Amel.

Also, we loved our Pacific crossing so much that we talk about doing it again.

And while other people were working on their boats we were sipping cool drinks. Thank you Henri Amel and God rest your soul.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 02:44   #261
Armchair Bucketeer

I figure the day of the Ketch will come back. Maybe when that passing fad with multihulls wears off?

or when sails become solar power generators?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 05:17   #262

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Pacific Seacraft is building this beauty;

DESIGN REVIEW | PACIFIC SEACRAFT 61 | BLUE WATER SAILING MAGAZINE | CRUISING, SAILING, BOAT REVIEWS, GEAR, CHARTERING | 888.800.SAIL

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 05:36   #263

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I am a firm believer in never changing the original design of the boat. You probably will spend money to make your boat less efficient. There are lots of optional sails for ketch rigs that are specifically designed for ketch rigs.
A mizzen staysail will give you more sail area and greatly increase light air performance. A mizzen staysail will also give you a traditional look while under sail. The from there, you still have more optional sails.

Agree with that. I'd add code zero hardware and roller furling spinnaker and possibly a longer sprit to enhance light air and down wind performance. If you are in-mast furling consider changing to in-boom furling so you can get some roach or even a gaff-topped main using battons to extend the top of the main. Consider also the solent rig. Solent Rig | Cruising World
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 06:41   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B
Before I bought my Allied 39 Ketch, I got on several forums and asked about ketch rigs and most of the negative stuff was repeated by many forum members almost word for word. It's like they had no real knowlwdge of them and must have all read the same article and regurgitated it.
The same could be said for so many topics, e.g. wooden hulls, junk rig, etc.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 07:09   #265
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

people who have never sailed a heavy cruiser or a ketch do not understand the ease of handling there is offered in these boats.
the trend is toward racy looking sloops --this trend will change when someone decides that a different trend is due. is always what the designer or builder thinks will sell, not what is functional and comfortable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 07:28   #266

Look at anything made today. Everything is made cheaper. Walk into Walmart and buy a toaster. Now go to goodwill and buy an old toaster. Compare them side by side.

Why is the new toaster made the way it is?

Price, available raw materials? Inability to hire a good solid workforce?

A high quality toaster made today, like they made fifty years ago would cost $500 today. Who would pay that? No Walmart customer.

Sailboats. Just the same as toasters. The price today to produce a high quality ketch, a sailboat maker can almost produce two sailboats in its place for the same investment.

Everywhere the marketplace is pushing consumer goods at us, that makes the shareholders the most money.

The cookie cutter sailboat makers don't offer a ketch rig because at the end of the day, it is all about the bottom line. How much money was made from time, and materials invested.

Want a good toaster? Goodwill

Want a good sailboat? Look back in time.

My last sailboat was made in 83. Craftsmanship, materials were just starting the downward decline towards a Walmart quality product. Hull thin enough you could almost move it by pushing on it. The same boat today? Like pushing on Tupperware. Where is the quality?

My 1975 sailboat built as a Trailerable sailboat would break your hand if you hit it with your fist. High quality stainless hardware, not the pot metal I see today on a comparable sailboat.

Quality today has been replaced by automation set to make every part fail on the 91st day of a 90 day warranty.
Old 27-09-2012, 10:50   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post

Quality today has been replaced by automation set to make every part fail on the 91st day of a 90 day warranty.
Not true for all boats, look at this one: Fairlie 55 - Video Diary.mov - YouTube
Old 27-09-2012, 11:04   #268

Boat: 33ft sloop

Isaw the movie on YT too. But, do you have any idea what this boat might cost?
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 11:06   #269

I was told 1.2 $M. To be verified.
Old 27-09-2012, 12:27   #270

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

That 55 footer is BEAUTIFUL. What an amazing video, such quality.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, paracelle