Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2023, 23:43   #1

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46
Teak Plugs in deck leaking

Hi people,
Up here in the Whitsundays, currently experiencing a deluge thanks to the wet season. This has now presented several leaks in our boat, one of which is some Teak plugs.
From under a few of the plugs you can see water dripping off the screws.
I assume the screws need to be reset and sealed and new plugs fitted but I want to seal all the plugs without having to replace them as there are a few.
Any ideas on the best way to do this....was thinking of using some wood glue on each plug so it soaks in as the glue is waterproof once dry.
Any thoughts on the subject..?
Thanks

Conj
conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 01:00   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Teak Plugs in deck leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by conj View Post
Hi people,
Up here in the Whitsundays, currently experiencing a deluge thanks to the wet season. This has now presented several leaks in our boat, one of which is some Teak plugs.
From under a few of the plugs you can see water dripping off the screws.
I assume the screws need to be reset and sealed and new plugs fitted but I want to seal all the plugs without having to replace them as there are a few.
Any ideas on the best way to do this....was thinking of using some wood glue on each plug so it soaks in as the glue is waterproof once dry.
Any thoughts on the subject..?
Thanks

Conj
You could use thinned everdure, an epoxy product and sand and refinish afterwards, but it would require dry timber to start. IMHO a better option than water based glue.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 01:58   #3

Thanks UB,
I haven't heard of the product but will check it out.
Old 16-01-2023, 03:06   #4

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Teak deck plugs and fastenings if left long enough and dry ,will often leak as the timber movement ,minute shrinking and swelling ,bite the bullet ,remove the plugs that are leaking and reset the fastening with epoxy ,dry out the hole with acetone ,fit new dry plug with epoxy ,a well done teak deck should last at least 25 yrs but must be maintained .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 04:08   #5

I do actually agree but don't want to pull out plugs that look ok......but maybe the best way Forward.
Old 16-01-2023, 09:59   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Do what i did, remove the teak decks and fill the screw holes with thickened epoxy. Then a layer of glass, paint and non-skid. Solves the leaking issues long term.
The teak decks were nice to look at but a royal pain to maintain.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 11:13   #7

Keep in mind that the teak is a nice surface for walking and for appearance. But the teak deck is not like shingles on a roof. The fiberglass deck, usually cored, is your water tight covering.

Usually you will see a black stain surrounding the plugs. That means the stainless screws are corroding. Usually that means that the screws have come loose from the first layer of fiberglass core and water is getting into the core. The water travels within the core, rotting it, and eventually finding a hole in the lower layer of fiberglass. The screw where the water comes in is not necessarily where the the leak occurs.

1. Use a small flat blade screwdriver and split the teak plug in half along the grain. Then dig out the plug pieces.
2. Unscrew the screw and drill out the hole with an oversize drill, just through the upper fiberglass layer.
3. Fill the hole with epoxy and allow to cure.
4. Pre-drill the screw hole and put in new screws that are just enough to only penetrate the upper fiberglass layer.
5. Put in new teak plugs.

When you have a flat section of deck, the best solution is to remove the entire board section. Then epoxy fill all the screw holes, drilled oversize, with epoxy. Next spread out a layer of 4200, UV 4000, or Sika 251. Put the board back without any screws. Put weights (buckets of water or sand) on the board to squeeze it down while the caulk cures. Put new plugs in the holes.

The repair will take care of that section, but a teak deck is a lifetime of fixing in other spots.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 12:12   #8

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

On traditional old wood decks, the bungs will start to get loose when the wood has worn down so the bung doesn't get a good "grip" anymore. You want a good 1/4 inch of bung in the wood. It is a bit of work as when one starts to pop out, you usually have others that need work too.

I will pop the bung out with a wood awl, push it in a couple times along the grain and it will usually break, then pop the two halves out. I like to check the screw so with a fitted screwdriver bit on a brace (an old brace and bit), take out the screw. The screws are traditional slotted so you can clean the slot easily. I like the brace rather than a power driver because you can feel what is happening. If the screw is corroded, replace with a new screw. I use a special shaped drill and countersink to dill down a little to clean up the hole and give the bung something to hold onto. I like to use lanolin, (Lanocote) to butter the screw, it keeps water from penetrating. I will then set a new bung with shellac, the original plastic. This is old school, where you have solid deck planks.

If your boat has a decorative teak deck, one that is thin, then it is a bit more tricky. You don't have the wood thickness to work with so you still need a drill and countersink. The bungs don't have the wood thickness so they don't have the grip. In this case, set with clear epoxy and hope for the best.

I have a steel boat with teak decks and have learned the hard way that you still want to make sure the teak deck doesn't leak. She is 50 years old now with the original deck but I'm getting a bit of corrosion under so I'll have to replace the steel eventually.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 18:46   #9

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
Keep in mind that the teak is a nice surface for walking and for appearance. But the teak deck is not like shingles on a roof. The fiberglass deck, usually cored, is your water tight covering.

Usually you will see a black stain surrounding the plugs. That means the stainless screws are corroding. Usually that means that the screws have come loose from the first layer of fiberglass core and water is getting into the core. The water travels within the core, rotting it, and eventually finding a hole in the lower layer of fiberglass. The screw where the water comes in is not necessarily where the the leak occurs.

1. Use a small flat blade screwdriver and split the teak plug in half along the grain. Then dig out the plug pieces.

2. Unscrew the screw and drill out the hole with an oversize drill, just through the upper fiberglass layer.

3. Fill the hole with epoxy and allow to cure.

4. Pre-drill the screw hole and put in new screws that are just enough to only penetrate the upper fiberglass layer.

5. Put in new teak plugs.

When you have a flat section of deck, the best solution is to remove the entire board section. Then epoxy fill all the screw holes, drilled oversize, with epoxy. Next spread out a layer of 4200, UV 4000, or Sika 251. Put the board back without any screws. Put weights (buckets of water or sand) on the board to squeeze it down while the caulk cures. Put new plugs in the holes.

The repair will take care of that section, but a teak deck is a lifetime of fixing in other spots.
Hhhhmmm... I would have thought that you would have said spread a thin coat of G-Flex epoxy and glue the batten down. Why 4200 over traditional epoxy lay down?

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 18:53   #10

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
On traditional old wood decks, the bungs will start to get loose when the wood has worn down so the bung doesn't get a good "grip" anymore. You want a good 1/4 inch of bung in the wood. It is a bit of work as when one starts to pop out, you usually have others that need work too.

I will pop the bung out with a wood awl, push it in a couple times along the grain and it will usually break, then pop the two halves out. I like to check the screw so with a fitted screwdriver bit on a brace (an old brace and bit), take out the screw. The screws are traditional slotted so you can clean the slot easily. I like the brace rather than a power driver because you can feel what is happening. If the screw is corroded, replace with a new screw. I use a special shaped drill and countersink to dill down a little to clean up the hole and give the bung something to hold onto. I like to use lanolin, (Lanocote) to butter the screw, it keeps water from penetrating. I will then set a new bung with shellac, the original plastic. This is old school, where you have solid deck planks.

If your boat has a decorative teak deck, one that is thin, then it is a bit more tricky. You don't have the wood thickness to work with so you still need a drill and countersink. The bungs don't have the wood thickness so they don't have the grip. In this case, set with clear epoxy and hope for the best.

I have a steel boat with teak decks and have learned the hard way that you still want to make sure the teak deck doesn't leak. She is 50 years old now with the original deck but I'm getting a bit of corrosion under so I'll have to replace the steel eventually.
Shellac over epoxy securing the bungs... Hhhmm... I know very little about shellac-- I do know that epoxy is not UV friendly... I am guessing Shellac is more resilient to the UV? GREAT post BTW... I also have traditional teak decks...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 23:24   #11

Thanks guys...yes very good information.
I should have elaborated.....the teak deck was replaced a while ago with Fibreglass...thankfully.
The old girl has Teak on-top of the Bulwarks which is quite thick and there are quite a few teak plugs with some that I noticed are leaking from the bottom of the screws.....mind you we have had over 800mm rain here.
So no quick fix here I guess. I liked the idea of soaking in some epoxy on the bung to seal it but doesn't help if the screw is corroded.
Old 18-01-2023, 15:51   #12

Conj - when you pull the bungs, see if you can extract the screws. Stainless screws are crap in wood, might as well use steel, they both corrode the same. The black you see is called iron sickness. In extreme cases it turns the wood into charcoal. Extract the screw and go old school, replace with bronze and it is there for a lifetime. I could go on about stainless in a marine environment but .....
Old 18-01-2023, 16:23   #13

I have noticed under some of the screws that hold down the teak and even the ones that screw down the sail tracks are black underneath....originally thought it was mould but maybe this iron sickness.
For bronze screws are we talking about Silicon Bronze....seems to be the one mentioned online.
Old 18-01-2023, 17:03   #14

Yes, Silicon Bronze is the gold standard, plays well with wood. Make sure you don't get brass, turns to swiss cheese in salt water.
Old 18-01-2023, 17:16   #15

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

How do you see water leaking from the bottom of the screws? Do the screws go through into the cabin?
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, plug, teak