Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01   #31

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Tartan 40, A solid Coastal Cruiser?

Hi David - I have hull number 64, also with a Scheel keel. Just saw your post and FYI I do have a propane stove and the propane tanks are in the port-aft deck locker in the cockpit area. I love the boat, we sail it in Biscayne Bay (Miami) and over to Bimini on occasion, but we have not had the time for extended cruises. I'm conflicted with either selling her or holding on to the dream of cruising the Caribbean. All the best to you.
Cheers,
Ricardo
Likato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:58   #32

Boat: 1985 Tartan 40

Hi Guys,

I just bought a T40. She's hull #17 from 1985. The original owner, who I bought the boat from, had Tartan do some custom work below. We brought her back from New Jersey to Westport Point, MA and she did very well. She has some things that were neglected and needs some updating like she needs a new headsail, a dodger, a plotter and an autopilot. But there's time, she is perfectly ready to sail. we did notice that she is a handful under power if you don't raise at least some mainsail. then she balances nicely. I had said motoring with no sail out was a bit like balancing a broom on your hand. Take your eyes off the course for even a minute and she is veering WAY off...

Anyway, there is much to learn but, we're very happy and looking forward to spring!!
sloopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 15:36   #33

Interesting feedback. I hadn't noticed that under power but likely due to balanced rudder. Maybe your prop is closer to rudder (longer shaft?)
Congrats on the new boat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 16:39   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Check the prop. My 33 was a bear to run under power, discovered the PO replaced the prop with what he thought was a better (bigger) pitch.

I now have the factory spec prop and she handles like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 15:48   #35

We have owned and lived aboard our 1990 Tartan 412 (Scheel keel) for the last 11 years; we sailed it from the Chesapeake Bay to Australia via the Panama Canal in 2008-9 - we are currently near Adelaide in South Australia. We purchased the boat after owning a classic 1980 Tartan 37 (centerboard) which we loved, also. For four months we had the two boats side-by-side while we 'moved' aboard the newer one; interesting to note that we had a heck of a time fitting all our stuff onto the bigger boat. This is because the older Tartans were built with generous storage spaces - while the 'modern' ones have sacrificed storage for spacious-feeling interiors.

In 1989, the company that manufactured Tartans had financial difficulties (like many others during that period that folded as a result of the 1980's 'luxury tax' on yachts) and they closed their manufacturing for a period of time. I'm not sure of the details, but either they were purchased or received an infusion of capital and in 1990 reemerged with just two models for sale - the Tartan 372 and the Tartan 412, introduced at the Chicago Boat Show. They sold somewhere between eight and eleven Tartan 412's that year (it is hard to know exactly how many because they were not numbered sequentially; we know this because the original purchaser of our boat requested number 007 because he was a huge James Bond fan); it was the only year that both of these models were made. The Tartan 412 utilized the old Tartan 40 molds; I'm surprised that S&S didn't sue Tim Jackett for claiming it as his own. The other unique thing about the 412's are they are stick-built. Since the factory was just getting restarted in 1990 - they didn't want to invest in new interior molds, so they built these models like you would a custom yacht. The only plastic bits on our boat are the overhead panels and the head/shower pans; everything else is wood, thus all this teak makes the interior darker than other Tartans.

There are a few small modifications that make the 412 the ideal boat for tall people like us - first, the freeboard was raised by about four inches above that of the Tartan 40 so there is more headroom inside and makes the interior spaces feel larger. Also, they made the V-berth enormous - 90" long by 84" wide (at head) by 26" wide (at foot). Yes, there are two head compartments which we also thought was more than we needed, but have come to appreciate that this provides a 'spare' toilet and holding tank when the main one is out of service. The forward head is not very big and we use it mostly for storage.

Now - for the negatives of the boat. The CNG stove/oven fuel was a real pain (although, admittedly, not as bad as the alcohol stove on the Tartan 37); we had to drive 250 miles RT to get the scuba-like tanks filled - and there was no guarantee of a future supply. Before we left the US, we converted to propane; it wasn't really as difficult as we thought it would be. The new vented propane locker sits in the port-side cockpit lazarette. All of the opening ports are made of aluminum and are a custom size manufactured by Bomar. The ports corrode easily at the interface between the glass and the metal. There is no source for replacements; Bomar does not make that size/configuration anymore (and of course, Tartan Yachts only carries replacement parts for their new boats, i.e., for the first owner). Leaks through these ports are an ongoing problem for us - when at anchor or in a marina, we have a full-boat awning that keeps the rain at bay, but in a seaway situation, lots of towels are the only option. The biggest issue we've had is with the rudder; the upper collar around the rudder post is insufficient in strength for the task. The first rudder (that came with the boat) cracked along the leading edge, all the way down the front of the rudder and corroded away the interior metal frame. We had the factory build us a new one and within a year, the same thing happened; we ended up reinforcing the entire leading edge of the rudder with additional layers of glass mat and resin. Access from a dinghy is problematic as there is no stern platform, just a stainless ladder that drops down - and then you must negotiate around the backstay to get into the cockpit, then around the massive steering wheel. Be prepared for bruises.

We are pretty happy with the Tartan 412's sailing performance; it is nimble - and having all lines leading to the cockpit rarely requires us to go on deck during passages. The hull is exceedingly well built - much heavier than modern ones; the chainplates are boldly linked to the hull tabbing with solid 6" bars of stainless steel (as you can see in the photos of the interior). The engine, a Universal 50 (marinized Kubota), is adequate for the job although lack of good engine access requires blood to be spilled for even the most minor engine task.

We have been through plenty of rough weather in this boat, and always felt safe. It has been a pretty amazing boat for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	111748   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	111749  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	111750   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	111751  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	111752   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	111753  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	111754  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 14:30   #36

Greetings all, it's been a few years since this discussion was born, but we are now considering an 89 T40 CB for New England cruising. The boats are a little older, but still hit many of the desired mark. Any further experiences to share? We're going to cruise alone 75% of the time, but will enjoy guests too. We prefer a single head model. Anyone know of a well loved late CB boat for sale?
TKlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 17:37   #37

Boat: 1985 Tartan 40

Hi, the T40 is great boat. We're have number 17. Ours has the aft cabin, was plumbed with a toilet in a cabinet there oddly enough but I took it out and use it for tools storage.

The boat handles beautifully and can take on just about anything for conditions. I can cruise at 7.5 to 8 knots under power and we sail in the 7s a lot.

We have the centerboard version. I'm upgrading her for more some every year. She had a 2004 westerbeke 44 when we got her. I've replaced most of the standing and running rigging, and a new 135 head sail, new electronics, all new plumbing including tanks. A lot of new wiring, new awlgrip stars and stripes blue. New Dodger bimini cushions and auto pilot planned for this year. She also came with a sheaffer boom furling system. This boat is very easy to handle!

We get compliments wherever we go!

You might be able to tempt me... lol

Wifey wants to go a little bigger! Who am I to argue?

Oh the boat is currently in Rhode Island!
sloopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 19:32   #38

We love our T40 hull 37. Great sailing boat. Fast in light/moderate particularly. Berths are plenty comfortable but not as big as newer boats. Galley is phenomenal and better than most in size range. New Beta 50 a couple of years ago is more than enough engine
Old 20-01-2020, 19:32   #39

And the title of this thread is funny. Cross oceans she can. Not sure if I will.

Tags
cruise, cruiser