Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2024, 11:26   #16

Re: Stern low in water, advice please

Yes, it does look a little heavy in the stern.
I would probably start out with filling the water tank and see what she looks like. Then move or remove the stuff on deck for better balance followed with rearranging the interior.
Most boats are heavy in the rear especially with crew. I leave my aftcwater tanks empty unless I’m going on a cruise. Keep the bow tank full to offset the crew for daysails.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 11:38   #17

Re: Stern low in water, advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDM View Post
Hello, first time posting. Proud new owner of a Mercator Offshore 30. I noticed that the stern is low in the water and she is not sitting on her lines. We just got the boat so she is empty of gear. Engine, batteries and fuel tank located aft. Water tank with about 7g in it under v berth, small Danforth with 30ft 5/16 and 100ft rode on bow. Should this be cause for concern? Hopefully the pictures are helpful.
That looks like maybe = to one 200# man in the rear cockpit. May not be as bad as you think.
-Fill that V berth water tank and give it a look.
-Battery bank location is a good place to start and possibly relocate to get it to sit better.
-I'd get a bunch of the junk out of the boat clean up and reassess.
-The anchor gear is light weight and minimal, a 35-45# anchor on the roller will make a big difference over a Danforth also. More chain if you do that.... will do a lot also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, lease, water