Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 16:32   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Share Your Interior <27 feet

Once again an excellent use of the area at the companionway bulkhead/galley area.

I think this is one of the "key" design spots for space usage. And while you probably have a little more beam than I do I am encouraged by your settee removal as I plan to do the same thing to make cabinet space for fridge and a/c.

I love that you documented many of your improvements. The interior painting one is great - I love the anchor cutouts on the closet - tres cool.

Unless you say otherwise I am going to give color credit to your S/O - Your "beach cottage" theme is awesome! I am not "bold" enough to mix colors like that - very creative!

And I also agree with you guys - Traditional wood may be, well, traditional, but all these examples of painted interiors make these boats pop and have the added bonus of being easy to clean up.

I too love danboline and plan to paint a base of that wherever possible.

how did you find working with Latex house paint - I am thinking polyeurethane like is used on the topsides (already bought it actually)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 17:59   #17

Boat: 44 footer

Sailing Varuna...

I really like that interior scheme. Nice work!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 05:59   #18

Boat: CFP Sovereign 24

Compression arch with side supports leading to keel opens the cabin nicely! Sovereign 24'

Toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 15:45   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Toothless!

I may end up with compression posts but not decided yet - you can see my mock ups in this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1587786
Old 23-07-2014, 10:22   #20

Boat: CFP Sovereign 24

Posts would probably be the best / cheapest option. I was also on a Sabre 28 that had cut-through(s) in the forward bulkheads to open the cabin up. The shrouds were custom jobs secured just aft of the bulkheads to a reinforced section of the cabin trunk and topsides.
Toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 15:04   #21
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Varuna View Post
We have been rebuilding our 1968 allied luders 33 for the last year. You can check out what we did with the interior on our blog, verywellsalted.com. We are working to finish updating everything soon!
wow the colors really pop !! it will never be dark and boring in your boat. it looks like something out of an IKEA showroom plus you have a luders 33 which is one of my favorite designs. you gave me some ideas. thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 21:34   #22

Boat: Boatless
Re: Share Your Interior <27 Feet

Gone, you aren't kidding!!! That's a floating IKEA showroom.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 15:58   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We have been rebuilding our 1968 allied luders 33 for the last year. You can check out what we did with the interior on our blog, verywellsalted.com. We are working to finish updating everything soon!
You have done an OUTSTANDING job on the refit of your boat!

It looks VERY nice and such a change.

Everyone should see the Before and After photos.

You also did a very nice job of the photography too.

And I also like your very nice use of color and white for a light and colorful interior.

Others may say IKEA, but I say I LIKE.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 17:03   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am sure there are "leaky-teaky" types cringing but it's 2014. Tastes have moved on. I even got rid of my John Travolta Saturday Night Fever duds - LOL...

Modern bright interiors like Varuna's are awesome. It so takes the "cave like" atmosphere away. Now in the frozen north one may need a warm snuggly cave. Here in the tropics I'll take bright and lively.

The color mixing/contrasting was tremendous - I only hope I can get mine looking half as pretty.
Old 06-08-2014, 13:02   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On small boats like this, I think the "open" plan looks much better than the traditional bulkhead "enclosed" style.

While I did not like this look at first (going against tradition), I have seen some recently that made the boats look much larger in space, with that simple change.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Once again an excellent use of the area at the companionway bulkhead/galley area.

I think this is one of the "key" design spots for space usage. And while you probably have a little more beam than I do I am encouraged by your settee removal as I plan to do the same thing to make cabinet space for fridge and a/c.

I love that you documented many of your improvements. The interior painting one is great - I love the anchor cutouts on the closet - tres cool.

Unless you say otherwise I am going to give color credit to your S/O - Your "beach cottage" theme is awesome! I am not "bold" enough to mix colors like that - very creative!

And I also agree with you guys - Traditional wood may be, well, traditional, but all these examples of painted interiors make these boats pop and have the added bonus of being easy to clean up.

I too love danboline and plan to paint a base of that wherever possible.

how did you find working with Latex house paint - I am thinking polyeurethane like is used on the topsides (already bought it actually)
Thank you!! What a nice comment! You completely got what we were going for which is nice. I actually describe the boat as a beach cottage as well haha!

The anchor cutouts were original and are one of my favorite things.

Working with household latex paint was very easy b/c of the clean up and no fumes, but I would probably use oil based paint next time since it dries harder. The latex isn't bad, but it almost seems like the darker colors feel sticky and are not as hard and shiny as the Danboline white trim. I think using the polyurethane topside paint is a great idea (of course, it costs more but it will last longer and be more scrubbable).
Sailing Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:13   #27

Thank you Gonesail, Steady Hand, and Ex-Calif! We are so flattered by the nice comments you all have left! We really tried to create something different and more to our style and it's nice to hear from people that appreciate the hard work. We are trying to get all of our pictures up on the blog to hopefully inspire people like ourselves. We couldn't find anything "nontraditional" online when we started our boat so hopefully some of these pictures/ideas can help others with theirs!

The before and after photos are so important. They even surprised us and we were the ones who saw it along the way! It amazing how much work you can do and forget how bad something really was in the beginning.

Thanks again!
Sailing Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 15:38   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you!! What a nice comment! You completely got what we were going for which is nice. I actually describe the boat as a beach cottage as well haha!

The anchor cutouts were original and are one of my favorite things.

Working with household latex paint was very easy b/c of the clean up and no fumes, but I would probably use oil based paint next time since it dries harder. The latex isn't bad, but it almost seems like the darker colors feel sticky and are not as hard and shiny as the Danboline white trim. I think using the polyurethane topside paint is a great idea (of course, it costs more but it will last longer and be more scrubbable).
I've done a couple of test pieces with enamel paint and find it more difficult to work with in terms of prep and it did take a while to finally harden. I am generally lazy and impatient - LOL.

I wanted to ask about your salon table removal - it looks like you don't have one any longer. Do you miss it?

I hate the space it takes up and am thinking to do a removable one I can store when not in use.
Old 08-08-2014, 19:21   #29

Boat: Catalina 350

Another salon table idea. We really like what Hake did on our Seaward 25. The table is the Florida chart on the wall (on its back side). It unhooks, rotates down, and slides out to the center of the cabin. The cable holds the free end of the table up during use. I don't have any pics of it down, but it has a teak surface and lip around the edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior1.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	86338   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior3.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	86339  

sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 15:22   #30

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Hey Veruna! Where you guys at now? Glad you're getting so many kudos for your hard work.

We replaced our big saloon table with a smaller one that is perfect for two plates of food, a computer, a guide book, or a folded down section of chart. I like the s-shaped legs (original design of the Vega) so that it can be spun out of the way or brought in closer as needed. Of course, it is easy to store when not in use. It can also be placed in the cockpit when at anchor.

First pic is mock up for sizing. Second is table finished.
Cheers!

-Tarka, Albin Vega 1639
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4769.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	86409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5282.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	86410