Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2022, 07:44   #61

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Seeking "Willy's Jeep" of Bluewater Monohulls

I think I may have what you're looking for, at least mine has been that way for me. It's a little bigger than you're looking for but definitely has easily accessed systems, etc. She's not the fastest boat but I'm still amazed at her after 14 years. It is a Hardin Voyager, 45', so a little large, but everything is totally accessable and easy to maintain. Heck, there are six doors to access the engine, more storage than you'll ever be able to fill, encapsulated keel, center cockpit, etc. Taiwanese made, late seventies to mid eighties. Reasonably priced, at least a couple usually for sale, $45000-$120000. Not the sleekest, fastest in the fleet, but neither was the Willie. In case you're wondering, no mine is not for sale, but there are one hundred, or so others. Check some out, you may find what you're looking for.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 09:17   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPilot View Post
I want to thank everyone who has replied so far.

I apologize that I wasn't more clear on my original post that this isn't simply a shoe-string budget kind of thing. No offense to those who go that way, growing up on a farm I admire that mentality a lot. Nor am I rich, by any means, so there are some financial considerations to be had. Not to mention, who wants to spend money they don't have to?

My motivation comes from a preference for simple, strong, and easy to maintain. For instance, I used to be a firefighter. The bean counters who paid out the workers comp bills knew less weight of equipment would equal less injuries, so they bought tools with fiberglass handles...which couldn't hold up to the heat and would inevitably crack when you needed it most. As a result, guys would always spend money to buy certain tools that were forged from a single piece of metal. Way more expensive (they were paying out of pocket) and heavy, but it was time tested and worked every time.

Apply that mentality to boat ownership, specifically being offshore and solo, being able to maintain any system easily becomes critical (in my opinion). Sure, you might not regularly plan on swapping out a tank - but if a tank springs a leak mid-passage, I want to know I can get at it and resolve the issue without cutting my boat apart in the middle of the ocean.

I recently was looking at the Niagara 35 - very interesting layout that I liked, right in my length range, has some bluewater pedigree, etc. But it has keel bolts, and to inspect the keel bolts you have to remove the holding tank. I'm pretty conservative about maintaining my equipment, and disassembling and hauling out the holding tank each season to conduct the inspection doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

On the other hand, take the Westsail 28. I really love this little boat, but I know that frankly it is just too small for my comfort. That being said, the engine room on it is practically a room - tons of room to get around and access all side. Whoever mentioned "sailboat yoga" above was spot on.

I asked for recommendations because, like many of you have said - "simple" tends to be cheaper and "simple" means less to break, but it also means easier to repair. As someone else mentioned, for instance, being able to remove tanks through the companionway is exactly the kind of quality I would look for. Rapidly locating those kinds of details on a wide variety of models though is hard to do.

Hope this sheds a little insight and thanks again for all your replies. Any other readers, please don't hesitate to add.
I have an Alubat OVNI 395. I am 68 and been sailing since I was 24. The sturdiness and simplicity, together with the ability to navigate in very shallow water, makes it the best boat for me. Good luck
Homero
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 09:43   #63

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

There is nothing like square eggs. Keep dreaming. Browsing boats on the web is definitely the less maintenance, cheap and safest sailing practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPilot View Post
In my scan of boats to take me around the world, I wondered if anyone knows of designs that lend themselves to ease of maintenance, similar to the original Willy's Jeep. By this I mean, it can largely be maintained in the field with simple tools (or at least lean in this direction compared to others).

For instance, I know some (perhaps all) Shannons are designed so the water and fuel tanks can be replaced with simple hand tools and without having to cut anything.

This type of information is hard to locate with just simple internet searches, so I'm hoping this forum can be a more expedient resource. Specifically, I'm looking at something 27-40 feet, preferably cutter rigged, with an encapsulated keel. If not outright designed for ease of maintenance, any insights you have on certain models where the designers "did things right" in terms of planning for maintenance are appreciated.
Old 29-04-2022, 09:57   #64

Boat: Nauticat 32

I second the Westsail 32 opinion. I had one for 25 years and you just couldn't break it if you wanted to. Get one with "the upgrades" - no teak decks and minimal topside wood, stainless bowsprit and boomkin, new aluminum fuel tanks, poly water tanks, etc, Cape Horn wind vane, etc. They are out there and can be had for a great price, leaving you enough to add your own touches to it. My dad had an old 1935 Willy's and the Westsail is the closest thing I can think of to that vehicle.

Whatever you get, ignore the electronics, as they will all be outdated regardless, unless they were installed within the last year. Owners love to promote their electronic packages without understanding that their old Raymarine E80 system was obsolete back in 2009. Willy's didn't have any electronics anyway.
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 10:25   #65

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There's an easy answer to this.

Outboard! (and smaller boat like a Bristol 27 or something from the Atom Voyages Classic Boat List)

I have removed the stuffing box on my boat and the prop, prop shaft, diesel, and gear box, motor mounts, diesel fuel tank, etc.

Outboard replacement takes about 2-5 minutes. There's no stuffing box adjustment either anymore as that thruhull is permanently closed.

The rest of the boat even though it's 48 years old is relatively easy to maintain.

The boat also doesn't have keel bolts to worry about.
I've often thought of outboards myself but I'm wary of their use in certain situations. My home harbour has a lot of rocks inside the first mile and the shoals around them are often the worse part of my trips. Not unusual to get standing waves of 5-6 feet and many times 10-12 feet. I don't think an outboard would be favourable in those situations. Half the time it's getting dunked and the rest of the time it's an expensive fan. If course it's all about where and when you sail but if you are doing any amount of sailing it's not the best choice. It's also not great on fuel and is much more dangerous to have around.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 11:00   #66

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I was going to suggest a Westsail 32, they're a pretty simple boat and most anything on them is relatively accessible without learning new and improved epitaphs and colorful language.
Caveat: No Teak Decks.
I drove a 1946 Willys for several years, growing up. The thing was tough as nails and everything was easy to get to. My Hans Christian 41T is tough as nails, but cannot claim ease of access. It has however reinforced my repertoire of epithets.
It's also forgiving of an old sailor with modest skills
Old 29-04-2022, 11:08   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I've often thought of outboards myself but I'm wary of their use in certain situations. My home harbour has a lot of rocks inside the first mile and the shoals around them are often the worse part of my trips. Not unusual to get standing waves of 5-6 feet and many times 10-12 feet. I don't think an outboard would be favourable in those situations. Half the time it's getting dunked and the rest of the time it's an expensive fan. If course it's all about where and when you sail but if you are doing any amount of sailing it's not the best choice. It's also not great on fuel and is much more dangerous to have around.
Usually when the waves are large I'm sailing.

I've used the outboard on my boat for the last 11 years.

Several have crossed oceans or circumnavigated with outboards.

As far as fuel usage, the 5 hp 4 stroke outboard I use on my boat is just as efficient as the 10 HP Bukh Diesel it used to have
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 11:24   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How about a 35ft Whylo. This one now sold used to helong to Trevor Robertson who has a habit of over wintering in the Antarctic or Greenland

Iron Bark's travels: 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunshine.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	256844  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 13:13   #69

I think the important factor most of the replies are missing (directly) is maintenance/care/outfitting is so much more relevant on a used boat than a car. It appears you are looking for a used boat at good value. One option mentioned is custom boats which are out there BUT -could be hit & miss. For good value and user friendly might be better off searching a much more general category encompassing a lot of thick hulled production fiberglass boats from the 70's, (and newer-might or might not want to rule out on a case by case basis).

I would add: sloop (or cutter) rig w/ lines run to cockpit. As small as you can go, well under 35 feet more likely than not. Then a yanmar 2gmf or 3gm or substantially equivalent model that is known to the local mechanics (that might depend location but definitely not volvo) with shaft (not sail drive), at least some skeg/protection/etc for the rudder, accessible modern dripless shaft seal & a high end folding prop. I wouldn't rule out outboards in a well/etc upto 30ft+.

You are looking for the painstakingly restored jeep that has been loved & garage stored, prepared for an overland expedition to South Africa that never materialized. Some owners will of course add extra unnecessarily extravagant gear-roof tents and whatever else , but some owners will have the same mentality as you to fix it once, do it right & keep it simple. The quality of the most recent refit/work & overall maintenance/history is way more important than whether you choose a cj5 or cj4 or land cruiser.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 13:23   #70

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Poor mechanical repair access is more often business men ill prepared with the wrong tools. Amateur folks whaling on a stuck rudder parts. Along comes a marine mechanic before the back yard mechanic destroys the rudder part and whips off what you’ve been hitting with a hammer for 2 days in 10 minutes.
I have never seen one thing, one system on Catalina better than Benniteau. They’ve both won awards for sailing and living. Catalina has survived in a market where few have primarily from Quality and Service. Beneteau and Jeanneau have similar service in a much larger market place. Kudos to anyone who are peers and three cheers for all the special ones the common guy can’t talk his wife into. Folks who make bad boats or poor business decisions fail.
The more boats you have on the market the more stories to embellish. Condition how well she was loved and does it fit you. Brand is really only important to protect our egos from purchase decision. If you can find an old Swan 48 you’re only buying into that durable history if the boat was taken care of.
Folks like Dufour and Barvaria are like renewed companies. Don’t count Hanse and Moody out., a strong 3rd place. Worlds full of pretty surviving sailboat brands.

Ladies I apologize for keep referring boats as “ she and her”. I’m working on this.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 13:53   #71

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
It's not what brand of boat is easier to maintain, but what systems you have on it.
All boats share the same systems, pumps engines tanks, rigging, electronics. All the same. Buy the needed tools.
Not at all true. Everything in a Catalina 30 can be removed with hand tools, and it all passes through the companionway. Including the engine.

The Beneteau 432 is similar, with the benefit that the engine is set on a silver serving platter should it need work.

Blue water- Shannons are generally accessible without complete destruction. Trying to think of another recommendation….
Old 29-04-2022, 14:42   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
I drive a Shannon 28, and like you, seek "simple, strong, and easy to maintain".

The "simple and easy to maintain" part is directly correlated to the SYSTEMS on the boat, not the vessel itself. Below are some steps I've taken to simplify my boat over the last 4 years, vastly reducing maintenance.

-removed head, all hoses, holding tank, replaced with composting head
-removed electric water pumps in galley and head. replaced with foot pumps. (the head is salt water only)
-removed engine driven refrigeration, converted to simple ice box. (i do not need fridge on long crossings, and NOT worth the maintenance)
-removed anchor windless
-switched from single line reefing to slab
-removed furler from staysail, now it is hank on. (jib remains furler)
-removed stereo system (huge holes in cockpit were a liability for water ingress) I now use a few blue tooth speakers, solar powered, which are fantastic.

-removed all meters and gauges except depth. (no wind, no speedo)
-removed hot water heater (no pressure water, etc)

Clearly, the above modifications are just my balance of "giving up luxury vs simplicity" but it works for me. It is largely successful in eliminating maintenance of a lot of things...simply because I don't have them.

As for other items you mentioned, like access to water tanks, keel bolts, etc. Honestly, not matter how well designed a boat is, these WILL be full on projects, mostly done on the hard. So I wouldn't pass on a boat based on these items being slightly less than ideal. I did replace the aluminum water tanks on my Shannon with brand new Steel tanks...and yes, while I didn't have to take a saw to anything...it was a beast of a project. And there's simply no way that I could inspect a tank while at sea. (except for the top?)

But the chance that I'll have a leak is minimal, because of the SYSTEM. There is just 10 feet of 1/2 inch tube, a few simple hose clamps, and a foot pump. So unless the tank itself ruptures, highly unlikely, the troubleshooting is simple (when compared to a more complex pressure water system with electrical requirements, a pressure reservoir, and on and on. )

Engine maintenance: yeah, you do need DECENT access to engine to be able to wack on it at sea or in a strange port. But I wouldn't pass on a boat just because it's less than ideal. As long as it's do-able, focus on other areas of your boat tradeoffs. Engine maintenance is a job, but it's relatively small as far as time spent on your boat. (hopefully!) I have a beta 20 (with a built in oil change pump, which is sweet I will admit).

Anyway. I bought a boat with too many systems (aging and complex) and I saw many hours of maintenance in my crystal ball future. So I just tossed them and focus on sailing.

Some very good points in this response, with a particular approach, not right or wrong.
While my boat is not a circumnavigator, I do a lot of coastal cruising and sailed her up from SF to BC in 2016.
My approach was different: I bought a boat that I knew had tremendously good access to everything and had robust sailing systems. It also had a very knowledgeable owners association and active website so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel. We'd owned a C22 for 4 years and a C25 for 11. We knew this was our "next boat" and spent a year finding a then 12 year old boat in pristine condition. It was the only production boat of its size with an aft head, no one has to sleep with their own head inches from a toilet, the V berth is so huge one could (and I do) sleep sideways in it when alone, and has creature comforts, not minimalism. In the ongoing H, B, C "debates" very rarely is it mentioned about access to equipment and wiring runs. We bareboated a B350 once and to check the oil we had to remove the aft cabin cushions and a small wall to get to the dipstick. On my boat I open a small door! Geez...

-removed head, all hoses, holding tank, replaced with composting head
---- installed bulletproof Raritan PHII, holding tanks is just fine

-removed electric water pumps in galley and head. replaced with foot pumps. (the head is salt water only)
----excellent access below galley sink to water pump, see below

-removed engine driven refrigeration, converted to simple ice box. (i do not need fridge on long crossings, and NOT worth the maintenance)
----replaced fridge electronic module in 2016, fridge is great

-removed anchor windless
----never had one

-switched from single line reefing to slab
----OEM was slab reefing, PO put in double line slab reefing led to cockpit, excellent

-removed furler from staysail, now it is hank on. (jib remains furler)
----had hank on on older boats, put ProFurl on in 2003, just great, have two jibs, switch for season

-removed stereo system (huge holes in cockpit were a liability for water ingress) I now use a few blue tooth speakers, solar powered, which are fantastic.

----installed a Bluetooth stereo, runs from my phone with all my music, ditched CDs, had cassettes before , wished I didn't cut holes for those speakers in the cockpit, but back then I was dumber...
-removed all meters and gauges except depth. (no wind, no speedo)
----mine are old, but I know the wind speed and direction by the back of my neck, and the speed is what it is

-removed hot water heater (no pressure water, etc)
---- I replaced the water heater in 2013, they last 10-12-16 years, easy in&out by removing a door and frame, OEM pressure water pump still working, have a spare,replace plumbing hoses easy to do under engine with a wire coat hanger, great access to everything

----access to my stuffing box and the back of the engine is excellent through a huge opening below the aft cabin cushions; side and front engine access is excellent
---- no liners anywhere, I can access everywhere for wiring and hoses, etc., my oil change is using a hose connected to the bottom of the drain pan and a hand pump, not as cool as the Beta but nevertheless very good
----my fuel tank is accessed behind a teak plywood bulkhead, 12 screws and it is exposed to slide it out, nifty
----nominal 400 ah house bank, reserve bank, Yandina combiner, 100A alternator with Balmar MC-612,Freedom 15 I/C and Link 2000; I built a solid electrical system, no solar (yet) but I coastal cruise and it would be easy to add 200-300W solar if I felt I had to

Point of all this: I agree that some items shouldn't be deal breakers, but there actually ARE boats where the builders thought about how their owners could and would have to work on them AND DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 14:51   #73

Boat: Albin Vega 27

One thing I really liked about my Albin Vega was the benefit of the trailer- during offseason, it stayed at the house parked directly next to the deck so I could just step directly from the deck into the cockpit with power tools without it being a big production. Sure made maintenance easy. Because of the simplicity, it's stayed varnished, painted, de-corroded and clean. Also, all the stuff that should be stored in a house under cover has been.

So buy my Vega, save a pile of time and logistical pain, and just go bluewater sailing simply. Then sell it in 10 years in exactly the same shape... because trailer.
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 15:14   #74

You should check out the Vancouver line of yachts. There's a 27', 32' & 34. They will take you round the world a dozen times without drama. Many have made the journey.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 15:44   #75

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
You should check out the Vancouver line of yachts. There's a 27', 32' & 34. They will take you round the world a dozen times without drama. Many have made the journey.
Right which is why the 27'er is on this list with the other 72 boats that are also perfect for cruising, quite inexpensive, and usually easy to maintain.

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list-html/
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, hull, monohull, water