Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 19:50   #1

Boat: 22 foot star wind
roller furling questions

I recently sold my 22 foot Starwind trailer sailer, and replaced it with a 25 foot O'Day trailer sailer.
My Starwind had a soft luff style roller furler left over from the previous owner, not even sure what brand it was. It worked great and was easy raise the mast, and to hoist the sail.

The O'Day also is equipped with roller furling, and it has the Harken with the extrusion around the fore stay. My issue is that on my Starwind I could raise the mast and be ready to launch in an hour easy.

In trying to raise the mast on the O'Day the solid extrusion, is not very friendly as a trailer sailor. It is awkward to handle, adds weight to the mast, and you have to thread the sail into the track after raising the mast. I much prefer the soft luff type furler. My question is why can't I use the Harken drum, buy the bearing for the top of the jib from a soft luff system, to convert it? And can the anti torsion rope be added to an existing sail without big cost? Any advice, or thoughts on how to handle this would be appreciated .
In doing a little internet surfing, it seems that a 25 foot boat might be pushing the strength of a soft luff system?
ozarkshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, roller furling