Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2021, 02:55   #1

Boat: Ericson 39
Realistic Cruising budget for a young family?

Hello there-
We have a 1973 Ericson 39 in pristine shape (new engine/ electrical systems/ sails/Navigation systems/ etc). I’m trying to gauge what a yearly cruising budget might look like. We are in our 40’s with a 4 year old. We prefer to anchor as much as possible. We are a do-it-yourself family with regard to boat maintenance. We’re thinking of cruising Maine-Caribbean and possibly heading through the Panama Canal heading towards Mexico.
Any advice regarding budgeting would be greatly appreciated from those who have done something similiar.

Cheers-
Hardrightrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 03:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Realistic Cruising budget for a young family?

Ten years ago I did San Francisco to Panama with three kids aboard, spent $11,000 in one year. It's not a sustainable number: the boat was new; we had stocked up huge before leaving; the children were small and didn't eat much. The next year's budget started with a haulout in Colombia: bottom paint, caulk, routine maintenance--it all adds up and has to be factored in to a long-term budget, even with a pristine boat. It's impossible to tell other people what they'll spend knowing nothing of their habits or abilities (do you need to eat out a lot? drink? party? pay for boat repairs? it all factors in).
Someone here has a detailed list of all his expenses for over a year now--it's worth looking up in your case.
Old 25-02-2021, 12:50   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Two different members have been detailing their expenses, neither with children aboard. They are sailorboy1 and hpeer. If you use the search function to look for their posts, you can compare their expenses.

Usually, people continue their spending patterns from land based life, so if one is exceptionally frugal, one continues to be, but if you eat out a lot or buy expensive entertainment they'll be higher.

Ann
Old 25-02-2021, 13:01   #4

There is a maintenance spreadsheet and discussion on the Morgan's Cloud website, it is behind a pay wall, but the website is WELL worth every penny, https://www.morganscloud.com/2014/07...ging-sailboat/.

The spreadsheet has a bunch of variables you can set, boat size, level of maintenance, who does the work, system complexity, miles sailed, etc. The spread sheet assumes 10 year length of ownership. Looking at what other people have posted for 10 year periods of time, the spreadsheet looks to be in the ball park.

What you spend outside of keeping the boat up depends on many personal variables.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 08:45   #5

Check out YouTube ‘Mothership Adrift’. Family of 5, 3 young kids. Been sailing for 3 years on a tight budget and doing a lot of work themselves, mostly around the Med and now in South America. I’m sure they did an episode of budget. Might help.
MightyWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:38   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrightrudder View Post
Hello there-
We have a 1973 Ericson 39 in pristine shape (new engine/ electrical systems/ sails/Navigation systems/ etc). I’m trying to gauge what a yearly cruising budget might look like. We are in our 40’s with a 4 year old. We prefer to anchor as much as possible. We are a do-it-yourself family with regard to boat maintenance. We’re thinking of cruising Maine-Caribbean and possibly heading through the Panama Canal heading towards Mexico.
Any advice regarding budgeting would be greatly appreciated from those who have done something similiar.

Cheers-
My favorite answer to the question: How much does it coast to cruise? Is how much have you got. Delos advises that it costs about $100 US per week per full sized person which would be about $1,000 a month in your case since your four year old won't be eating or drinking much (at least not the good stuff ) Can you get by on rice and beans or will it be T-bones and Artichoke hearts? Lots of variables there. If you end up being out for years, you'll find much of the stuff you just refitted will be due again and you know what that costs not omitting inflation. Sailorboy 1 seems to average around $3,000 a month but he manages to hang out with his fellow "boat scum" a lot which you probably won't be doing with a four year old in tow. As you can see, this is a fairly open question depending upon your individual life style. I think I'd use the $3,000 a month number to start - if you don't need it, it'll still be there and you can adjust your number accordingly. Let's
not forget all the navigation, weather and communication subscriptions which can really blow that budget if you're running a home office aboard but usually runs less than $300 a month for a moderate offshore package.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:36   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Hello there-

Cheers-
this much for me and my wife the last 4.5 years full time and if you click my user name you can find each monthly report for the story bind each month
Attached Files
File Type: xls Money spent cruising.xls (74.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 18:58   #8

Boat: Ericson 39

Thanks for the info everyone-like most of you stated, a lot depends on our habits and boat needs, which we understand.
Cheers-
Hardrightrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 20:18   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

HardRightRudder we had a holiday for the first time with a new family we hang out with. The wife and I were amazed at how different people are with spending money. We are on similar incomes yet they would have spent twice what we did on the same holiday, even though our kids had the exactly same experiences. I can still remember the look on there face when I mentioned that the local supermarket had a great special on drinks, you would have thought I had just peed on the ground in front of them!
Whatever happens you can always come back and earn more money, but you can't earn more time with your wife and child.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Two different members have been detailing their expenses, neither with children aboard. They are sailorboy1 and hpeer. If you use the search function to look for their posts, you can compare their expenses.

Usually, people continue their spending patterns from land based life, so if one is exceptionally frugal, one continues to be, but if you eat out a lot or buy expensive entertainment they'll be higher.

Ann
Also Cthoops...

Our Cruising Costs - Month 29 for a Middle-Aged Couple on a 30' Boat
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-245902.html

Fair winds and good luck, HardRight!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:32   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
There is a maintenance spreadsheet and discussion on the Morgan's Cloud website, it is behind a pay wall, but the website is WELL worth every penny, https://www.morganscloud.com/2014/07...ging-sailboat/.

The spreadsheet has a bunch of variables you can set, boat size, level of maintenance, who does the work, system complexity, miles sailed, etc. The spread sheet assumes 10 year length of ownership. Looking at what other people have posted for 10 year periods of time, the spreadsheet looks to be in the ball park.

What you spend outside of keeping the boat up depends on many personal variables.

Later,
Dan

Morgan’s Cloud is a very big, very nice and very expensive boat.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Morgan’s Cloud is a very big, very nice and very expensive boat.
Well, all of the above are subjective. I think Morgan's Cloud is a nice sized boat for what she was designed to do and has done. Very big, not so much. It is a nice boat but it also does not have all of the bells and whistles that many boats have onboard. Expensive is relative.

The OP has a 39 food boat, which is not exactly a small boat, and I suspect they have similar systems as Morgan's Cloud.

A key variable of the spreadsheet is DISPLACEMENT. Anyone using the spreadsheet can change the variables, including displacement, system complexity, how well the boat is kept up, who does the work, how many miles sailed, etc., to get a decent estimate on the cost of maintaining a boat. Members of the website seemed to think the spreadsheet was accurate. Where I have figures on boat upkeep costs, from people who have published many years of budget information, the spreadsheet seems in the ballpark, but maybe, hopefully, on the high side.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:10   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Hello there-
As you can gather, "realistic budgets" are in the eyes of the beholder. In other words, it really depends on your boat, your location, your crew, and mainly your cruising lifestyle. Some spend many thousands per month. Others (of us) spend few. It really depends on you.

There are some good budget threads that have been mentioned. I encourage you to look at them.

As another data point, my partner and I cruise on a 37-foot older boat. It sounds like we have similar styles with regards to DIY and being away from marinas. We spend 1/2 the year on board, and the other 1/2 doing land things. We are on a fixed budget so I know what we spend: ~19,000 US per year.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:37   #14

Mike,

How would you say your $19,000.00 breaks out between your land life and your sea life? Even split or is one life style definitely more expensive than the other?
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 13:09   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Galateia View Post
How would you say your $19,000.00 breaks out between your land life and your sea life? Even split or is one life style definitely more expensive than the other?
It's definitely cheaper for us to live on the boat. Although, to be fair, that's mainly due to the fact that on land we are travelling great distances (crisscrossing Canada), and incurring motel and eating-out costs along the way.

Tags
budget, cruising, family