Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 16:57   #1

Preparing old Mast to be step for Mariner 28 (Canning)

Several years ago I purchased a Mariner 28 (Peter Canning build) as a project boat which has been on the hard now for 20 years...yep! Now, it's time to get her back on the water. So, I'm now focused on preparing the mast - Schaefer & Spar - to be fully functional before installation - it's a deck stepped mast. I will replace the wiring for the lights, install a Radar mount, and add new conduits for e.g., VHF antenna, Radar, wind, etc.

#1- Question: Does this mast requires a mast heel plug? If so, is there a universal mast heel plug available for my Schaefer & Spar, and where can I purchase?

#2 - Question: Where can I purchase replacement rigging wires (0.2" / 5.09mm or 3/16) for the mast?

#3 - Question: Are the stainless steel wires that are sold by Home Depot suitable for this application? If so, how would I address the ends, in other words, how should I terminate the end of each cable to correspond with the existing hardware at the chain plate and mast head?

# 4 - Question: I consider myself to be a proficient DIYer, however, as a noob cruiser, is it wise for me to take on this endeavor of replacing the rigging wires? Or, should I seek the assistance of a professional rigger?

This is all for now.

George
Latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:11   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Preparing old Mast to be step for Mariner 28 (Canning)

I'm not familiar with your mast but most do require a step and perhaps an organizer plate if you wish to run lines to the cockpit. Rigrite has both and can make a custom step, they are not the least expensive provider of such things. Friends have had custom steps made in both Annapolis and California using local stainless fabricators.
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparPa...tom_Mast_Steps
https://rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/...zer_Plates.php
https://www.garhauermarine.com/mast-...st-plates.html
I use a rigging supply in San Diego that makes up stuff to match the old or measurements I provide. West Marine also has a rigging supply but may be limited to reproducing from the old if you possess it and trust that it fits . Which will be unknowable until you step the mast, perhaps a local professional rigger may be required. I wouldn't think Home Depot to be a good source, but someone has probably used it.
https://www.westmarine.com/RiggingSe...ging-Shop-Home
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 20:27   #3

Thanks for your response Ted, I will definitely look into the links provided.
Old 21-10-2020, 20:45   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
3 - Question: Are the stainless steel wires that are sold by Home Depot suitable for this application? If so, how would I address the ends, in other words, how should I terminate the end of each cable to correspond with the existing hardware at the chain plate and mast head?
Wire used in standing rigging is usually of 1x19 construction because of its lower stretch characteristics. Home Depot and other "landlubber" vendors do not often stock such wire, whereas marine sources always do.

There are two generic methods used to terminate wire these days: swaged fittings, where a powerful press is used to compress a sleeve into which the wire has been inserted. The whole fitting consists of the sleeve portion and the terminal, which may be a threaded rod, an eye, a T-ball or a fork, depending on the specific rigging screw (turnbuckle) in use and the type of chainplate involved. This type of fitting must be installed on the wire by a pro rigging shop.

The other type are mechanical fittings, where a system of cones and shaped cavities in a demountable body clamps the wire in place. Again there are various terminals available, threaded, eye, T-ball or fork. These fittings are somewhat more expensive to buy but can be installed DIY and are reusable when the wire has aged out and must be replaced. Sta-Lok is one popular marque... there are several similar competitors available.

It is entirely possible to do all the wire rigging DIY with only normal tools... I've done it several times over the years, always with good savings over a rigger's costs.

Jim
Old 22-10-2020, 05:00   #5

It would be advisable to check the masthead sheaves if you haven't already done so. Replacements would come from Schaefer.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa17 View Post
It would be advisable to check the masthead sheaves if you haven't already done so. Replacements would come from Schaefer.
Sherpa17,

Good thought..I was wondering about that too...they look to be in good shape with no breakage or visible cracks. I am hoping that all is needed is some lube; I'll do a much better inspection when I put the mast on waist level stands. Stay tuned.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wire used in standing rigging is usually of 1x19 construction because of its lower stretch characteristics. Home Depot and other "landlubber" vendors do not often stock such wire, whereas marine sources always do.

There are two generic methods used to terminate wire these days: swaged fittings, where a powerful press is used to compress a sleeve into which the wire has been inserted. The whole fitting consists of the sleeve portion and the terminal, which may be a threaded rod, an eye, a T-ball or a fork, depending on the specific rigging screw (turnbuckle) in use and the type of chainplate involved. This type of fitting must be installed on the wire by a pro rigging shop.

The other type are mechanical fittings, where a system of cones and shaped cavities in a demountable body clamps the wire in place. Again there are various terminals available, threaded, eye, T-ball or fork. These fittings are somewhat more expensive to buy but can be installed DIY and are reusable when the wire has aged out and must be replaced. Sta-Lok is one popular marque... there are several similar competitors available.

It is entirely possible to do all the wire rigging DIY with only normal tools... I've done it several times over the years, always with good savings over a rigger's costs.

Jim
Great information! Thanks, Jim.

Tags
marine, mast