Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 06:47   #1

Portable, Temporary Underway Heater

I've done some searching but not found much on this specific topic.

If all goes well sure surveys and sea trial, hopefully I will own a new to me Bristol 51 and will be looking to sail south from the Chesapeake in a few weeks. The boat has reverse cycle heat in the A/C systems but that's not going to work on the trip. Keeping the cabin warm will be important so I am seeking to learn about portable, temporary heat options to setup and use on the trip.

Cold weather sailing is not my idea of fun nor part of any future plans so spending more $$$ and pursuing some sort of permanent installation is not desired. I need a portable, temporary solution that can be stored in a lazarette for possible future use if needed.

How about this - a Mr. Heater Big Buddy propane powered heater -

Mr. Heater Big Buddy

Seems I could strap it down to the top of the gimballed stove and let it run to keep the main cabin area nice and toasty. I have a CO meter for the boat and my phone has one built in as well.

Anyone ever used one of these in this way? Any other suggestions for simple heat offshore? Thanks!

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 07:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Portable, Temporary Underway Heater

Humidity would be an issue.. you'd have running water in no time.
Something like this on the cabin sole would be better..
https://www.t7design.co.uk/products/...ab-heater.html

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 07:46   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Portable, Temporary Underway Heater

Is there a mechanical problem with your heat pump? If not and it is properly charged, it should give you heat with water temps down to low 40’s. Trick is to get the boat warm and keep it warm. Trying to warm the surfaces and components then letting them get cold again uses a lot of BTU’s each day. A 51 foot boat will have a lot of mass to heat.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 07:55   #4

Re: Portable, Temporary Underway Heater

I have one of those. It works fine. I would NOT use it underway, but sitting at anchor etc it will be fine. You dont want it tipping over or sliding and roasting some woodwork etc. Keep a hatch partially open. They eat the little cannisters super fast though.

Be careful on your trip south, south of Hatteras can be a problem on a moments notice this time of year and unforecasted.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 07:57   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The little Buddy Jr is plenty big for a small space.

Never burn while sleeping, install CO & Propane alarms, provide ventilation.

Very dangerous.

A portable diesel parking heater in a Pelican case, mounting spot for intake & exhaust hoses, much safer.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Is there a mechanical problem with your heat pump? If not and it is properly charged, it should give you heat with water temps down to low 40’s. Trick is to get the boat warm and keep it warm. Trying to warm the surfaces and components then letting them get cold again uses a lot of BTU’s each day. A 51 foot boat will have a lot of mass to heat.
No issues that I know of... but to use it requires running the generator when sailing offshore and I am seeking options to this. We will be testing the heat pump functions in survey this Monday so I will have a better idea on that option.
Old 31-01-2019, 08:08   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I have an Origo Heat Pal. Its simple, safe, and portable. Best used at anchor, but if properly secured, could be used under way as well. Its very simple...the canister of alcohol, exactly like inside the famous and well loved Origo stove, but in a heat dispersing structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39145586_614.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	184847  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have one of those. It works fine. I would NOT use it underway, but sitting at anchor etc it will be fine. You dont want it tipping over or sliding and roasting some woodwork etc. Keep a hatch partially open. They eat the little cannisters super fast though.

Be careful on your trip south, south of Hatteras can be a problem on a moments notice this time of year and unforecasted.
I had thought about strapping it down to the top of the gimballed stove and let it run. Boat has multiple CO detectors plus the one in my phone works great. Boat has good ventilation. Humidity would be an issue. The units have a shut off built in if tipped over. Unlikely to run it without someone awake in the cabin with it and someone else in cockpit on watch.

A moments notice? Sunny and 50 degrees with 10kts wind from west can change to raining 30 degrees and 50kts from the NE in a moment? No weather warnings or forecast changes at all, just instant storm? I don't think I buy that. I've been watching wind, weather, gulf stream for weeks and forecasts seem pretty dang good for a 48 hour period or so. After that accuracy drops off quick. My plan (ever evolving) is to leave from bay on good weather window and scoot around the cape and back in to coast so if conditions do deteriorate we can pull in at Beaufort or another place.

Terry
Old 31-01-2019, 08:24   #9

Unless you're a good deal more fortunate with weather than I usually am, you're going to be using the engine frequently. That's beaucoup BTU's
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:27   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
The units have a shut off built in if tipped over.
They do indeed, a very sensitive one that will probably shut off on a gimbaled stove. I've had them shut off while anchored in rough conditions, I would not use one underway.
Quote:
A moments notice? Sunny and 50 degrees with 10kts wind from west can change to raining 30 degrees and 50kts from the NE in a moment? No weather warnings or forecast changes at all, just instant storm? I don't think I buy that.
No disrespect but your faith in weather reports and predictions is humorous, you'll believe it when you see it.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:28   #11
rbk

Boat: T37

Been using the buddy heaters for years. Condensation and CO are not as big a problem as people think. Keep a CO alarm nearby, but in many years of use with a CO alarm within 3-5’ of the heaters (have gone through a few) I have never had it trip an alarm in enclosed spaces. Go with the buddy / big buddy and rig it to an external 20lb tank to avoid the build up of bottles. It could be used under way if strapped down but there is a tilt kill switch that can be too sensitive (more so on the little buddy) these also all have a thermocoupler with pilot light, if the light gets blown out it kills the gas, if the light goes out from lack of o2 or excess CO it kills the gas. These are quit safe even in enclosed spaces when used properly.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
Unless you're a good deal more fortunate with weather than I usually am, you're going to be using the engine frequently. That's beaucoup BTU's
Yea, your likely correct. As I have been watching the weather patterns it does seem that a "good" window is likely to involve very little wind during the first 24-48 hours out from the bay. If one wants to avoid motoring that will entail riskier weather possibilities to have wind. Given that my goal is to scoot around the cape and past the riskiest areas as quickly and safely as possible my bet it that will require a lot of motoring. Oh well. Hopefully once around the cape and back in closer to the coast we will be able to sail.

Terry
Old 31-01-2019, 08:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Been using the buddy heaters for years. Condensation and CO are not as big a problem as people think. Keep a CO alarm nearby, but in many years of use with a CO alarm within 3-5’ of the heaters (have gone through a few) I have never had it trip an alarm in enclosed spaces. Go with the buddy / big buddy and rig it to an external 20lb tank to avoid the build up of bottles. It could be used under way if strapped down but there is a tilt kill switch that can be too sensitive (more so on the little buddy) these also all have a thermocoupler with pilot light, if the light gets blown out it kills the gas, if the light goes out from lack of o2 or excess CO it kills the gas. These are quit safe even in enclosed spaces when used properly.
Excellent first hand feedback - greatly appreciated.

Do you think that strapping it tight to the top of the gimballed stove would result in the tilt switch shutting it down? Seems like that could also shut it down if strapped in position on the cabin sole if the sea state was rough at all. I would rather it get shut down some when not desired rather than not shut down if needed! But if the sensors are sensitive enough it could mean its just not workable.

Terry
Old 31-01-2019, 08:35   #14

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

I have used Mr.Heater in center cockpit and cabin (fairly large space with some ventilation and CO2 detectors). Strapping it to stove = cold feet. I would affix it to the sole if using it underway in cabin and only use it in fairly mild conditions.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:41   #15

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

your heat pump may (I think they all do) also have a humidity feature as well which on mine you can set for the amount of moisture in the air. Would be way better than a Mr. Buddy. Using My Buddy in the cockpit underway? They have an instant off tip over feature and the ones I've seen will also shut off in the carbon monoxide levels get bad. Personally, I'd run the generator and the heat pump.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater