Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 07:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 30
Please help! Our beloved Tartan 30 needs new owner

Dear sailing community,

Pete and I left the Hudson River in 2008 engaged, and dreaming of blue water, we returned last year married, pregnant, and ready to put down roots and grow our family. Our love of each other and this blue planet grew and flourished aboard our Tartan 30, named Moxie. Now we have a 1 year old, and a very different life style and we need to find new owners for Moxie. I am sure many of you understand that this was a difficult decision - our sailboat is so much more - she feels like a member of the family.

Moxie needs TLC: she was damaged in hurricane sandy. Pete plans to do the repairs that will bring Moxie back to sailing condition - but she'll still need work.

Our dream - and this is where you all come in - is to find someone, or a couple who has the same dream of blue water that we did - we want to sell her - very inexpensively - to a couple/person who will bring her back to life and use her and love her.

If you know of someone in the NY area who meets this profile in need of a spectacular boat, please can you have them contact me? If you have any suggestions as to where else I might post a similar ad, that would be helpful too.
Ideally we'd love to pass her along before the beginning of the sailing season.

Thanks so much for your help!

Dorothy
mermaid782000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 10:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Can you post some pics of current damage and condition so people can decide if they want to take on the project.
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 10:32   #3

Re: Please help! Our beloved Tartan 30 needs new owner

That's a great suggestions - we are on it!

In the meantime, here's a bit of a description of what she has, and what she needs:

Installed equipment:

Nema 2000 network including:

depth / speed / temp triducer
Maretron DSM200 head
Maretron Weather tranducer (wind speed and direction, temp, humidity, pressure) on masthead.
SH VHF w/ Nmea GPS input connected to NMEA 2000 network and marine distress ID functionality
Lowrance 7 inch chartplotter, connected to NMEA 2000 network
Lowrance GPS antenna, on NMEA 2000 network

New Electrical Equipment:

Aqua __ tricolor / anchor light on masthead
Marine CD / Tuner with internal and external speakers
All new electrical distribution circuits and panels, batteries etc.
3 75 AH Optima batteries, one 100 AH Lifeline, all in very good condition, with isolation circuit.

Hull:

newly faired bottom with 5 coats epoxy barrier coat and new antifouling paint
Rudder internal frame and core re-built 2007, new epoxy and glass shell, barrier coat, antifouling paint (2012)

Topsides: New epoxy paint damaged by Sandy
Deck: new epoxy paint damaged by Sandy. New lexan windows. New canvas all around.

Rig: New mast internal wiring
All new running and standing rigging, including masthead pulleys (for rope, not rope and wire as original)
New mechanical wire connectors all around, including isolation for backstay antenna.

Engine:
Original A-4, runs well, small coolant leak, has every aftermarket improvement available:
closed loop cooling with heat exchanger.
PCV valve
Adjustable main jet on carb.
Electronic ignition
115 amp Balmar alternator with latest smart regulator
New Prop (silicone bronze), new prop shaft, new cutlass bearing.

Sandy Damage:
2 SS stantions on port side bent over. SS pullpit destroyed.
port teak toe rail destroyed for 6 feet on port side.
Hull to deck glass joint destroyed for 4 feet on port side
Some topsides scratching of fiberglass and paint on both sides.

Tons of other niceties and random equipment, such as a dickenson grill and new propane stove with external propane valve for safety. Way too much to list here.
Old 25-03-2013, 11:26   #4

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid782000 View Post
Dear sailing community,

Pete and I left the Hudson River in 2008 engaged, and dreaming of blue water, we returned last year married, pregnant, and ready to put down roots and grow our family. Our love of each other and this blue planet grew and flourished aboard our Tartan 30, named Moxie. Now we have a 1 year old, and a very different life style and we need to find new owners for Moxie. I am sure many of you understand that this was a difficult decision - our sailboat is so much more - she feels like a member of the family.

Moxie needs TLC: she was damaged in hurricane sandy. Pete plans to do the repairs that will bring Moxie back to sailing condition - but she'll still need work.

Our dream - and this is where you all come in - is to find someone, or a couple who has the same dream of blue water that we did - we want to sell her - very inexpensively - to a couple/person who will bring her back to life and use her and love her.

If you know of someone in the NY area who meets this profile in need of a spectacular boat, please can you have them contact me? If you have any suggestions as to where else I might post a similar ad, that would be helpful too.
Ideally we'd love to pass her along before the beginning of the sailing season.

Thanks so much for your help!

Dorothy
You may get some nibbles posting this on the Tartan owners' list: tartansailing@yahoogroups.com. Between shoppers who lurk there and owners who know people interested in buying you may find a response.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 12:54   #5

Please send me some photos of the damage and your asking price. I'm looking for a project and live in Connecticut.
rossco@snet.net
Byrnerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnerc View Post
Please send me some photos of the damage and your asking price. I'm looking for a project and live in Connecticut.
rossco@snet.net
Hello!

Yes - We hope to have some photos up by the weekend. Check back soon, please.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:34   #7

I would love to give your boat a good home. It would not sit at anchor much, but be well used. If you still have her, please let me know.

Wayne Skinner
wayne000001@gmail.com
wayne000001 is offline   Reply With Quote