Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 10:07   #1

Boat: Saving up for my first boat
Place to stay and boat shop in Kemah, TX

Howdy from Dallas. I'm planning to spend a few days in Kemah after Christmas and do some boat shopping.

Pretty sure I'm going to be looking for a monohull sloop in the 28'-36' range. Fin keel with skeg rudder

Any suggestions on places to shop and a cheap place to stay for a couple of nights? This is my first boat so I'm fairly clueless.

James
Jamesiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 18:43   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC
Re: Place to stay and boat shop in Kemah, TX

I was there a couple months ago. Some boats that I have my eye on are listed by Little Yacht Sales. Met some nice people in the marina there. Sorry I can’t remember the name of the marina.
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 18:48   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Marinas in Kemah area include Waterford and Watergate. Little yacht has an operation at Waterford. Plenty of smaller hotels nearby and maybe some Air bnbs. Search within Kemah, League City and Clear Lake shores for accommodations.

Let me know if you have any other questions as we have our boat at Watergate and live southwest of Houston.
Old 12-12-2020, 22:44   #4

Hi shmorrell and GreenWave. Thanks for your replies!
Old 12-12-2020, 23:13   #5

I'd first suggest not to neglect Galveston, about an hour away, then focus attention on Clear Lake. Anywhere between I-45 and Kemah along NASA road 1 is quick access to Kemah (Microtel, across from JSC used to be the least expensive hotel on NASA Road). Webster/League City (Southern side of Clear Lake) tends to have more traffic.

On a separate note if, if you've not seen the Saturn V outside of JSC, now under a pole barn (and the Redstone Mercury rocket now in the same location) you owe it to yourself to see the rockets outside of JSC's gate main gate (+/- skip the larger tour).
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 08:22   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Sea Lake Yachts in Waterford Marina is worth a chat with. Doug Hughes 281-549-4724.

T Bone Tom's for home style food.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 08:49   #7

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmorrell View Post
I was there a couple months ago. Some boats that I have my eye on are listed by Little Yacht Sales. Met some nice people in the marina there. Sorry I can’t remember the name of the marina.
I second Little Yach Sales and a great place to start. My son and I were exploring keeping a boat in Kemah. He could learn to sail and I have a place to stay when I visited and we could take his family sailing. The folks were great, friendly and knowledgeable. We didn't purchase one but I still receive emails from them. No pressure, just good folks.

Good luck.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 08:53   #8

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Tons of eating places in the full range of choices on both north (NASA1) and south (SH 518) sides of Clear Lake, and on to SH 146 that connects the two on the eastern end. North shore is Seabrook -Webster, south side is Kemah- League City. Slightly on the pricey and touristy side is the Kemah Boardwalk.
Don’t overlook broker choices at Seabrook ship yard, or Lakewood, and a couple more brokers along NASA 1. Get a copy of Telltales magazine and/or Boaters Directory, if not free, certainly cheap. All Texas coastal yacht brokers will appear in one or the other.
Old 13-12-2020, 11:21   #9

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions everyone. Keep them coming!

Using google maps I see tons of marinas in the Kemah/Clear Lake area....
Old 14-12-2020, 07:12   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Hotel: I always stay Holiday Inn Express in Seabrook which is on the north side of Clear Lake. New hotel, VERY clean, not expensive and close to restaurants etc.

When I was looking for my boat, I found the hotels on the Kemah side to be not-so-great. I tried various hotels on the north side until I settled on the Holiday Inn Express.

Only issue staying on the north side of the lake, is heading to Kemah you must confront the traffic crossing the bridge which has construction. I do this crossing 2-3 times a day and it just takes patience and timing your crossings with the traffic situation (mornings good, rush hour - painful).

Little Yacht sales is a good start, but note that they make their boats look "pretty" for sale. Texas Yacht sales is also another broker. I would also look on Craig's List (where I found my boat) and online sailboatlistings, boattrader and yachtsales...

Marinas: Almost all are on the south side of the Clear Lake (Kemah side). The only viable Marina on the north side of Clear lake (other than the Yacht Clubs) is Seabrook Marina.

Watergate Yachting Center is the best place to start as you can roam the docks and look for boats with a "For Sale" sign on them as well as getting ideas of what boats you like / do not like. FYI, the only unlocked public restroom on site is located next to the Opus Grill restaurant...)

WaterGATE also gives you access to WaterFORD Marina (where little yacht sales is located. (Waterford is gated).

Kemah boardwalk has a marina but it is gated, as is Legend's Point (where boats go to die..) located across from West Marine. There is also Porto Fino which again is also gated.

There are two other Marinas on the south side which are not gated and you can walk around: One is at the South Shore Resort and Conference Center, and the other is Marina del Sol. These have sailboats but not nearly as many as the other marinas as the water at these two is shallow....

Best restaurant in Kemah I have eaten at is Schafers Coastal Bar & Grille (https://schaferscoastalbarandgrille.com) . T-Bone Tom's is decent(good gumbo) and has live music almost every night. There are more restaurants on Kemah Boardwalk. Next to Home depot is an I-hop and chilli's

Good Luck.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Hotel: I always stay Holiday Inn Express in Seabrook which is on the north side of Clear Lake. New hotel, VERY clean, not expensive and close to restaurants etc.

When I was looking for my boat, I found the hotels on the Kemah side to be not-so-great. I tried various hotels on the north side until I settled on the Holiday Inn Express.

Only issue staying on the north side of the lake, is heading to Kemah you must confront the traffic crossing the bridge which has construction. I do this crossing 2-3 times a day and it just takes patience and timing your crossings with the traffic situation (mornings good, rush hour - painful).

Little Yacht sales is a good start, but note that they make their boats look "pretty" for sale. Texas Yacht sales is also another broker. I would also look on Craig's List (where I found my boat) and online sailboatlistings, boattrader and yachtsales...

Marinas: Almost all are on the south side of the Clear Lake (Kemah side). The only viable Marina on the north side of Clear lake (other than the Yacht Clubs) is Seabrook Marina.

Watergate Yachting Center is the best place to start as you can roam the docks and look for boats with a "For Sale" sign on them as well as getting ideas of what boats you like / do not like. FYI, the only unlocked public restroom on site is located next to the Opus Grill restaurant...)

WaterGATE also gives you access to WaterFORD Marina (where little yacht sales is located. (Waterford is gated).

Kemah boardwalk has a marina but it is gated, as is Legend's Point (where boats go to die..) located across from West Marine. There is also Porto Fino which again is also gated.

There are two other Marinas on the south side which are not gated and you can walk around: One is at the South Shore Resort and Conference Center, and the other is Marina del Sol. These have sailboats but not nearly as many as the other marinas as the water at these two is shallow....

Best restaurant in Kemah I have eaten at is Schafers Coastal Bar & Grille (https://schaferscoastalbarandgrille.com) . T-Bone Tom's is decent(good gumbo) and has live music almost every night. There are more restaurants on Kemah Boardwalk. Next to Home depot is an I-hop and chilli's

Good Luck.
Wow, @sinnerman Thanks so much for that. I really appreciate all the info and tips. Cheers!
Old 14-12-2020, 17:54   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

have lived within a mile of waterford for the past 1 years- 5 of those in the townhomes attached to the marina.

previous advice on hotels was good
VALDOS mexican seafood on north side of lake is excellent and well priced
Tommy's also on north side is good but pricey
ocean grill in the waterford/watergate complex is good but priced accordingly
JoLees seafood is not bad and less expensive.
if you like shrimp fried or boiled try PIER 8 - 2-3 lbs for two people and you will be stuffed

as for brokers, i can highly recommend Kent Little at Little Yacht Sales - i bought my first boat from him 7 years ago and he has was Excellent- straight shooter and worked hard to get me the deal i wanted- consider him as a buyers broker- if you get down to ready to have a survey done, let me know and i can tell you who did ours- can't recall name off the top of my head but he did a super job. Again I cant speak too highly of Kent and his organization- not sure what the earlier poster meant by making boats "look pretty" - i do know that he recommends people get all their personal crap off boat to show it and also recommends that they have it washed and clean but the sellers pay for all of it. Kent spent hours answering questions for me before i bought the boat.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 21:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
have lived within a mile of waterford for the past 1 years- 5 of those in the townhomes attached to the marina.

previous advice on hotels was good
VALDOS mexican seafood on north side of lake is excellent and well priced
Tommy's also on north side is good but pricey
ocean grill in the waterford/watergate complex is good but priced accordingly
JoLees seafood is not bad and less expensive.
if you like shrimp fried or boiled try PIER 8 - 2-3 lbs for two people and you will be stuffed

as for brokers, i can highly recommend Kent Little at Little Yacht Sales - i bought my first boat from him 7 years ago and he has was Excellent- straight shooter and worked hard to get me the deal i wanted- consider him as a buyers broker- if you get down to ready to have a survey done, let me know and i can tell you who did ours- can't recall name off the top of my head but he did a super job. Again I cant speak too highly of Kent and his organization- not sure what the earlier poster meant by making boats "look pretty" - i do know that he recommends people get all their personal crap off boat to show it and also recommends that they have it washed and clean but the sellers pay for all of it. Kent spent hours answering questions for me before i bought the boat.
Thank you very much Madehn. I appreciate your advice. I have swapped a couple of emails with Kent Little and yes, he seems like a good guy to know for sure. I plan on looking him up when I get to Little yacht Sales.

And I love boiled shrimp so thanks for that as well
Old 20-12-2020, 12:47   #14

Sorry I'm a little late to bring this up. In Little Yacht Sales Friday e-mail, they said they would be closed from Dec 23 thru Jan 1. Try contacting them tomorrow to see if you could possibly set up an appointment. Also call Murray Yacht Sales.
wgoehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 22:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoehrs View Post
Sorry I'm a little late to bring this up. In Little Yacht Sales Friday e-mail, they said they would be closed from Dec 23 thru Jan 1. Try contacting them tomorrow to see if you could possibly set up an appointment. Also call Murray Yacht Sales.
Thank you @wgoehrs. I appreciate that info.

Tags
boat, kemah