Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 22:21   #1
cruiser

Pilothouse Love em or Hate em

In my search for a boat I have come across a few pilot house set ups.

I have to admit they look very appealing to me. I love that I can be inside when weather gets cruddy. I like the split level layout. I am not a fan of the remaining aft space but there is more than one end to a boat. The cockpits seem pretty cramped..on the few in my size/budget ..but nice and easy access inside.

Having a pilothouse also seems to give that main saloon vibe of a cat...its about as close as you can come on mono...and it was a reason I initially looked at cats... and the stability while at anchor..

As I researched more there is no way I would buy a cat over mono regardless of cost. It seems however that a pilothouse could maybe give me some of that mainfloor "entertaining" area.

I am guessing that maybe heat and ventilation is the biggest issue with a pilothouse?
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 23:13   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Pilothouse Love em or Hate em

The biggest issues are the windage (reduced sailing performance) and large windows (compromised safety). Vibe of a cat is another one, as you mentioned.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 23:23   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

pp,

It depends where you want to do the most sailing. In the hot places, proper ventilation can be an issue. In the cold, wet places, you may want the protection. But it your plan is a milk run circumnavigation, the warmer weather will prevail. Your $$, your choices, as is only fitting, as it is you who will have to live with them, not us. We hide behind the dodger.

Ann
Old 24-02-2020, 23:47   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
pp,

It depends where you want to do the most sailing. In the hot places, proper ventilation can be an issue. In the cold, wet places, you may want the protection. But it your plan is a milk run circumnavigation, the warmer weather will prevail. Your $$, your choices, as is only fitting, as it is you who will have to live with them, not us. We hide behind the dodger.

Ann
I am looking for more of a milk run for sure. I was thinking that the I would miss the connection with the sea. Getting nailed with cold water would suck but yuou are soo right..I probably would rarely if ever encounter too cold of weather. Just by looking at some with a nice bench I could see myself being tempted to lay down a bit on watch..and falling asleep... probably not the best idea.
Old 24-02-2020, 23:50   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I love the ones I go over and visit, in particular a gorgeous boreal and a big nauticat. I've always loved the idea of hunkering. But the split reduces usable space in both areas, neither would make a good saloon or galley; i hate cooking in a nook where i can't interact with my friends, etc. If you are planning high latitude work, I would certainly think of one. But for anything else, I think it would be stifling.

Most on here know I'm rabid about our boat, but if you are looking for a strong boat that can handle cold weather sailing, look at the amels. We delivered our supermaramu in the middle of february across the gulf of lyon, through bonifacio and up corsica. 8 days of nothing but storms and rain. And we did it wearing sweatpants and light hoodies the whole way because the center cockpit (with full enclosure) and the heat coming up from below was more than comfy. Yet in the med summer (100 degrees all day long), it's cool and shady. And below you get a large contiguous space to relax, cook, watch netflix and hangout.....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 23:51   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The biggest issues are the windage (reduced sailing performance) and large windows (compromised safety). Vibe of a cat is another one, as you mentioned.
I was wondering about the safety issue and how often it would be a concern. By the time I figure it was a concern probably too late.

I won't be in much a hurry so I wasn't thinking of performance much. Ya.. I guess I failed to process that performance is more than just speed... it is late.. brain is not performing.

Thanks for bringing up those points!
Old 24-02-2020, 23:58   #7

A few years ago, faced with a need to replace my dodger and bimini canvas I decided to install a used hard top I purchased from a parted power boat. Surpisingly it is visually much more stealth then I expected. I don't have the plastic windows installed yet so windage is not really an issue for now. Weight is also not much of an issue since the boat is about 20,000lbs with all stores and what's another 100lbs evenly distributed.

It solves many issues. From where to install solar panels to protection from rain and sun. I plan to make the windows fully removable, not just roll up type.

And as far as sailing performance is concerned - 200' of 3/8" chain in the anchor locker did so much more to retard the performance then this hard top will ever do.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 23:58   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I love the ones I go over and visit, in particular a gorgeous boreal and a big nauticat. I've always loved the idea of hunkering. But the split reduces usable space in both areas, neither would make a good saloon or galley; i hate cooking in a nook where i can't interact with my friends, etc. If you are planning high latitude work, I would certainly think of one. But for anything else, I think it would be stifling.

Most on here know I'm rabid about our boat, but if you are looking for a strong boat that can handle cold weather sailing, look at the amels. We delivered our supermaramu in the middle of february across the gulf of lyon, through bonifacio and up corsica. 8 days of nothing but storms and rain. And we did it wearing sweatpants and light hoodies the whole way because the center cockpit (with full enclosure) and the heat coming up from below was more than comfy. Yet in the med summer (100 degrees all day long), it's cool and shady. And below you get a large contiguous space to relax, cook, watch netflix and hangout.....
Oh it sounds very comfortable! Some set ups are clearly better than others but they seem at the further end of my budget and I am not a fan of stifling and cooking is always better when not sent to the corner to do so. I have seen some nice center cockpit set ups.. ive wondered about those as well.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 25-02-2020, 00:27   #9

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

This boat is of course bigger than most people here are looking at, but I think it's a good example of a monohull pilothouse comparing to a catamaran.

Galley up, salon up, nav station up, etc.
Something similar could probably be achieved in a smaller boat too (but still 50ft plus).

More info in a previous post that I made here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2948522

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002
That really might appeal to someone envious of catamaran style salon and galley up designs, but still ultimately wanting a monohull. I think it looks pretty great actually for such a big deck salon, and the view out of there looks pretty fantastic to me either in high latitudes or in the tropics.

I didn't study the whole boat, and the interior photos look a bit meh, but I give the 'pilothouse on steroids' a big concept wise as the lines look pretty good overall.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 01:54   #10

Yes I think what I like best would be a deck saloon rather than a pilot house, especially if there was a forward facing nav area with either steering or autopilot remote. I don't understand why all monos aren't built this way. There is no necessity for the house windows to be large and unseaworthy like they sometimes are, the requirements are that one can see out when standing cooking etc and also when seated by simply raising the dining area. Normal size windows would be fine.
As far as common production boats go, the Jenneau 40DS comes to mind. But not any of their later, larger DS models which are not a deck saloon at all, in that the windows are way above your head down below!
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 02:20   #11

Boat: Fisher 37

I’m biased obviously but love the pilot house on my Fisher 37 ketch. If the weather is nasty (and it often is where I am) then the pilot house is a lovely warm place to sail the boat. Sure you have to go out to adjust the sails but with all lines led back to the cockpit the wheels house offers tons of protection whilst you do it. Windage? Definitely. Although when I look at modern sailing yachts with their massive free board I’m inclined to think it isn’t so bad. Like all things in boats it is a compromise and as others have said if you are going to be in the tropics most likely a disadvantage more often than not. Still I wouldn’t change. Boats are about what you love rather than what is practical so go with whatever you love and it will work out regardless of where you end up.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 03:25   #12

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Let's also remember that for cruising in the tropics sun and rain protection is essential too, and a lightweight 'pilot house / deck salon' is also possible in this situation.

This can easily be done with a combination of a hard top and flexible side curtains, but it's certainly easier on a catamaran which may have a big open cockpit already.

Something similar could be done on a monohull if you could find the right design with a big wide open cockpit, but unfortunately so many monohulls still have relatively small cockpits.

Beneteau is trying to achieve something like this with their Sense models.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 04:20   #13

Boat: Southcoast 36

I'm really not good on the nautical terminology so don't know if we have a "pilothouse" or not.

Ours is a centre cockit mono. Probably half of that cockpit area is enclosed on three sides with a hard cover and front and side windows. The helm is just outside (aft) of the covered area. I can stand up under the cover and I'm 6'5".

Always shade lthough we put up extra canvas to cover the full cockpit when anchored. When under way on AP we can sit in the shade and keep a lookout. Keeps wind and spray out. If its raining, you can tuck up forward and get out of the the worst of it.

Comfort is important to us. We love it. If I was looking for another boat, it would definitely be a factor that would have high weighting.

FWIW

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 04:30   #14

Boat: Fisher 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
I'm really not good on the nautical terminology so don't know if we have a "pilothouse" or not.

Ours is a centre cockit mono. Probably half of that cockpit area is enclosed on three sides with a hard cover and front and side windows. The helm is just outside (aft) of the covered area. I can stand up under the cover and I'm 6'5".

Always shade lthough we put up extra canvas to cover the full cockpit when anchored. When under way on AP we can sit in the shade and keep a lookout. Keeps wind and spray out. If its raining, you can tuck up forward and get out of the the worst of it.

Comfort is important to us. We love it. If I was looking for another boat, it would definitely be a factor that would have high weighting.

FWIW

Winf

That’s a hard dodger rather than a pilot house which is fully enclosed; e.g you can close the door on a pilot house. Both are achieving the same thing though which is keeping you warm and dry. My pilot house below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	209403
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 04:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne hoath View Post
That’s a hard dodger rather than a pilot house which is fully enclosed; e.g you can close the door on a pilot house. Both are achieving the same thing though which is keeping you warm and dry. My pilot house below:

Attachment 209403
Those fishers are fantastic motor sailors

Owners love them so much that’s it’s Hard to find a “ cheap “ one for sale
slug is offline   Reply With Quote