Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2009, 06:39   #1

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 'Venture'
Pearson Vanguard

Hi cruisers
I'm planing to buy a pearson vanguard from 1965, any owners or others with information, tips, etc.
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 07:14   #2

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
I've restored 3 of these............

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
Hi cruisers
I'm planing to buy a pearson vanguard from 1965, any owners or others with information, tips, etc.
What do You want to know?
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 15:24   #3

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
ere is some info from a 1967 ad.

Good Luck

Joe S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vangard064.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	9399  
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 05:20   #4

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 'Venture'
The Boat as been out of the water for 4 yrs. As a universal diesel, still original boom.
do you know about osmoses, week points? Manu thanks
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 10:14   #5

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
It is a good all around boat. Pearson built those early designs a little heavy without cores so the glass is solid and I believe they did not suffer the blister problems of newer boats. They were a little slower than newer designs because of their weight, the attached rudder, and more than a fin keel, but they sailed well and had good sea keeping qualities. They don't have the room of newer designs as they had moderate beam and traditional layouts. I believe that when all is considered they could be a worthwhile purchase.

Good Luck

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:41   #6

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
good answers, I was out of pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquest2 View Post
It is a good all around boat. Pearson built those early designs a little heavy without cores so the glass is solid and I believe they did not suffer the blister problems of newer boats. They were a little slower than newer designs because of their weight, the attached rudder, and more than a fin keel, but they sailed well and had good sea keeping qualities. They don't have the room of newer designs as they had moderate beam and traditional layouts. I believe that when all is considered they could be a worthwhile purchase.

Good Luck

Joe S
Assuming (<--always a bad word) the "price is right".
SVQuest2,
we don't know hardly anything...of what we do know:
1-I'd walk around on the decks and see if there are any soft spots;
2-The universal diesel is a Fantastic Upgrade already off Your "to do" list, as the original atomic 4's were/are a LOT of upkeep and gas engines should NEVER be below decks/inboard on sailing vessels (IMHO). Diesel vapors may stink, but they don't EXPLODE.
3-the Hull is bombproof shy having met with a reef or rocks formerly...that age You're probably 2" THICK at the waterline...like I said, Bombproof.
4-Osmosis? Check the stringers for rot, inspect the keel bolts for rust, thru-hulls, seacocks, grounding plates/zinks; and stop worrying...until You agree on a price, get a contract, and SEE THE RESULTS of the SURVEY (which is worth every penny of the $350.-$500. You'll have to pay for it) at which point You can hand him a copy where You renegotiate, OR get Your deposit back...there's not much more we can say. a 26' same vintage "Columbia" I'd pen the same things about.
They're TOUGH good sailing Old Boats. Don't be Afraid of Age, IF You like what You're looking at and the price is reasonable. You won't be disappointed with these based on the maker, or age; rather how they were kept for the last 48+ years. The "basics" (hull, engine components, rig) are extremely durable and will probably last as long again as the time it's already been in service. Being out of the water the last 4 years (properly stored) is a good thing as well.
Good Luck, don't be scared by age, as sometimes "Older" is better (as in quality of construction), and they're always more reasonably priced. NOT Always are they "somebody else's Problems" being "dumped on You".
The original boom shouldn't be a problem either if still serviceable.
HTH,
-Mick
PS, if You move forward, feel free to contact me for specific issues encountered in restoration (if needed) of anything, stated previously have torn apart & rebuilt 3 of these previously. They are good solid boats, and to get an equivilant, durable vessel these days would probably cost You close to a $100k, us, new.
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson