Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 14:38   #1

Paceship 26

Does anyone have an opinion on a Paceship 26 as a coastal cruiser? Basically just daysailing with the occasional overnight trip off the NC coast. Can't find out a lot about these Canadian boats other than they went out of business in the early 80's. Maybe the fact there isn't a lot of info out there is a good enough clue to stay away. Boat seems sturdy enough and roomy.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 16:37   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Paceship

You are stretching the memory banks too far. As I recall they are an average boat as in not the cheapest but not the same as the good ones. I think I sold one once. All of the C&C boats have a pretty good reputation, the C&C 27 is popular and sails well, the 29 is lighter and nice and the 30 is solid and well liked. These are all the earlier models. The Tanzer 26 28 and 8.5 all have solid hulls and sail well. The rig is not as good as the C&C but does the job. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 19:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I have a Paceship PY 26 at my docks right now. (It belongs to an aquantance.) I also raced one in the 1970's. They were a Ray Hunt design. They sail quite well for that period (for example they are a little faster than an Hunter 25 or Pearson 26 and much faster than a Cal 25, C&C 26, Catalina 25 or Oday 25 and roughly the same speed as the larger and originally more expensive C&C 27). They offer a lot of room with a nice layout for a 26 footer. They were well built (a step up from a Pearson or Oday of that era). Depending on the year they are a pretty sturdy boat and if well maintained seem to hold up well. The one at my dock has a problem with its fiberglass cabin sole that will need to be repaired by adding some deck joists (I have seen this in Odays of that era as well.)

They were originally constructed by Paceship until AMF (the same people who build bowling alleys and used to built Alcort Sunfishes) bought the company and began building them. I think these are nice boats that have a lot going for them.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16   #4

Boat: Union 32 , Paceship PY26
Reply to PY26 cruising

Hi.
I just joined for the express reason of answering your question.
We have owned a PY26 for 4 seasons. Overall I rate the boat high. Its a little faster sailing than expected and a little dryer than my Ericson 27.

I did have some trouble with my inboard Yanmar diesel, but mostly my fault for not looking after the exhaust maintenance and allowing seawater into my engine cylinder.

Other than that it has been a very good cruiser. We have taken it from our homeport of Mystic, Ct. as far as Nantucket and Long Island. She has space to comfortably cruise 2 or 3 for as long as you can find food and a washing machine to freshen your laundry. She can handle 25 knot breeze and 4-6 foot seas. We find it more comfortable in the 10-15 range. You can expect cruising speeds around 4-5 knots most of the time. We have seen speeds from 0 up to 6 on our GPS in areas where current was minimal.

The Origo stove has been good to cook on. The ice box is spacious but need a regular resupply of ice, expecially if you use the engine to warm it up .

You have to keep the bilge pumped. Otherwise the shallow bilge can wash up into the underseat storage areas during large heal angles (I estimate 20 degrees or more). Its best to bag or have sensitive items in plastic bins.

Call if you want more info. 860-647-1941 or paul.danilowicz@cox.net
PS. Mine is for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	3983
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	21757   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01261.jpg
Views:	3778
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	21758  

Glory B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 19:49   #5

Re: Paceship 26

I just purchased a Paceship 26. It has a wheel helm and modified rudder configuration with a stern post mounted under the rear transom with the original stern-mounted rudder removed. Much different that what the Paceship designs and photos indicate. First experience with this boat, but it sails very well and wheel (vs tiller) is nice feature. Engine stuffing box leaks a little, but tiller configuration looks solid. Does anyone have any comments to share about this unique modification? Was is a feature/option added by AMF, or was this added by some previous owner unknown to the party that I bought the boat from? FYI, I bought the boat from someone who liked the idea of learning to sail until they discovered it took a little work!
Rob
RobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote