Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2021, 07:59   #31

Re: Oyster, Tayana, Moody, Northwind or HR for blue water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindintheWillow View Post
The Dixon Moody's are good boats but almost all seem to have suffered from new boat shakedown syndrome so my twopenny worth is to go for something sorted.
I saw the Decksaloon Moody's at the boat show. The built in roof didn't seem to offer any weather protection while at the helm and I had to wonder if the raised salon and hard top would make these boats more tender?
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:01   #32

Boat: Regina 43

A little more expensive would be a Regina 43, a lot cheaper would be a westerly ocean lord or perhaps even ocean master. Westerly’s are good solid boats but they are getting on a bit now and will need a bit of work. They are very solidly built though so problems with the hull or keel is unlikely. As you can pick one up for very cheap you will be able to equip it however you like. One of those will take you through whatever the sea can throw at you.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:10   #33

Boat: Contest 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Other brands to keep in mind that you might find in your price range are older Swans, Contest, Taswell, and Hylas.

I forgot to add Amel.
I can second the Contest brand.

We bought a 1990 Contest 43 from the Contest Brokerage in Medemblik (The Netherlands). It's a very strong build, but not too heavy so has reasonably good performance. We had 3.5knots this summer in an 8knot zephyr!

Jonny Lees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:17   #34

This Little Harbor is at the top end of your budget = but oh what a beauty! I used to have a LH44 aft cockpit and she sailed like a charm through gale storms to Bermuda. After that, we sailed to the BVIs and she was admired by many.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...or-44-8024499/
drteger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:20   #35

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

This list is pretty wide ranging. Anyway, I’ve sailed a Moody 47 for a longish delivery and loved it. Both the crew and I were pretty impressed by it’s “cruising” possibilities.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:32   #36

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

There's a lot of good, well built boats out there for decent prices if you are willing to go older, can accept less than perfect condition, and can compromise on features/layouts. The key in my mind is to find a boat with non-changeable features that you can accept that is in as good condition as you can afford, and then update/upgrade/add-on the changeable things over time to get it how you want. Age is tricky, because it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, but it can make it harder to insure.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 11:06   #37

Boat: Bonaventura 50ft PORTO SANTO

i´selling my boat, a central cockpil ketch.you can see it at " theyachtmarket.com" searching for BONAVENTURA 45/50
Porto Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 11:16   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Oyster, Tayana, Moody, Northwind or HR for blue water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindintheWillow View Post
The Dixon Moody's are good boats but almost all seem to have suffered from new boat shakedown syndrome so my twopenny worth is to go for something sorted. Amels are designed for what you want to: monocoque construction, twin headsail rig, watertight bulkheads. Not designed as marina eye candy but extremely robust. I'd watch out for the height of the gooseneck above the deck and, personally, I'd avoid in mast roller reefing. If only my wife had permitted a blue water boat of this size, I had my eye on one of the wonderful old Laurent Giles Moodies, like the Carbineer. Fabulously well built and so comfortable in a seaway.

Ah yes Amel. Functional , capable , outrageously expensive , are not a deck saloon , lots of parts custom to Amel.

It’s a rich mans boat , nothing to see here , move along now.

I wouldn’t touch the Dixon moodys. Built when moody was dying , all sorts of quality issues.
Old 13-09-2023, 13:21   #39

Boat: Tayana 52 Cutter

Not much difference in size 41-48. I would look at 52-53 feet Tayana or perhaps a 55 Tayana, 53 Swan . I went from a Morgan Nelson Marek 46 to a 52 major improvement in space. Furthermore, your maintenance will be exponential( 25k + ), if you don’t do the work your self. Hope you have fun searching. If you found one good for you.
badbrainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 15:47   #40

Boat: Najad 490 1998

I would not worry too much about the pricing.

Right now we are still at the tail end of Covid price explosion.

Based on what I can see from the stats I collect - we are heading towards a post-Covid price “implosion”

Number of 2nd hand boats for sale are up about 18% vs same time last year. Sailing yachts was lacking behind the curve until June this year. But from June until now Sailing Yachts have almost caught up % wise with power boats in availability.

Part is post-Covid, part is interest rates, part is a really crappy northern summer.

So it looks like we will peak in March ‘24 with 25-40% more boats for sale than March ‘23.

So your budget of 200.000 might be able to stretch to a slightly better boat once sellers feel the pinch of their boats not shifting as fast as the broker promised. There are certainly already a LOT of “price lowered” adverts now compared to last year.
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 18:03   #41

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

In the initial few posts it was mentioned " AWB boats". What is that?
Googling came up with:
army work boat
average white boat
all weather boat

Tags
blue water, oyster, water, wind