Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 18:18   #16

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Outboard trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Many thanks for the advice on solving motor gummed up.

I stripped the carby in to parts , used cleaner ,re-built, new plug ,new fuel mix--- and it worked.

I'm no mechanic but the motor was deemed a' write off' by Yamaha Service because the cost of cleaning was close to new price. Motor has about 10 hours only but a lot of down time.New $800 my cost $25 plus 2 hours . BTSOOM !
The upside is you now know which service provider to stay away from.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 18:29   #17

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is a water separator. Well worth the money and effort needed to install one. Here is the link for the first Amazon search, but there are plenty of other options. As others have mentioned while cleaning carbs is often the first step for engine problems it is not impossible the real problem is dirty fuel; something a water separator prevents.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 22:39   #18

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Where are you getting carb rebuild kits? I have a rho and a 8hp yamaha and would like to keep a kit handy. What else needs replacement on the two strokes?
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:19   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Where are you getting carb rebuild kits? I have a rho and a 8hp yamaha and would like to keep a kit handy. What else needs replacement on the two strokes?
The vast majority of routine 2 stroke problems can be solved by:

Carb cleaning. Might as well swap in rebuild kit parts if you've got em, but often not necessary...especially for a field cleaning in remote locations. In the field I usually just use clean fuel to flush the carb, that is usually sufficient at least get it running again...even if not perfectly, it will get you home. Carb cleaner under pressure does a better job. Wear eye protection...powerful eye irritant. I suggest when you clean/rebuild carb that you tear down and clean/inspect the internal fuel filter and fuel pump too.

Plugs. Clean and gap or replace with new properly gapped. You can tell a lot about the engine, and why the plugged fouled, by color/condition of plug

Less frequent:

Fuel pump diaphrams. Most small OBs have a very simple fuel pump with thin rubber diaphram(s). These wear over time and develop holes/tears. Easy to replace. In a pinch in the field, can be cut from thin rubber sheet material, but often these just develop leaks which effect running/fuel efficiency and can be replaced with new when you get them.

Electronic compoment failure. These usually stop you dead and replacement, especially with newer engines, is the only practical solution.

Crank cord/mechanism breakage. Either the cord itself breaks or part of the ratcheting/spring return mechanism. Solution: remove this mechanism from the top of the engine, affix a spare pull cord (you carry one right? ) and fire it up. Repair/replace the fancy mechanism back ashore.

Fuel hose. At least here in the tropics, fuel hoses tend to fail near sharp bends (cheap grade fuel hose available here probably contributes). Most common point seems to be where it attaches to fitting on engine end. Easy solution: remove hose from fitting, cut off bad end, re attach to fitting. All you need is a sharp knife and a screw driver.

Spun Prop Hub. Many small engine props have a sacraficial rubber bonded hub. These can sometimes be field repaired with a bit of rubber hose. This fix wont usually hold at full power, but will hold enough for you to limp back home.

My susggestion, and what I carry in the dink, is:

Small Basic tool kit with tools specific to that engine (usually comes with).

Spare plug

Spare start cord

Multitool with good sharp knife

These basics will usually get you back to civilization where you can make proper repairs.

As suggested, a good external fuel filter/water separator can help avoid a lot of carb issues. The built in ones are very rudimentary, catch some junk, and require cleaning (at the same time you clean the carb).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:03   #20

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I'm no mechanic but the motor was deemed a' write off' by Yamaha Service because the cost of cleaning was close to new price. Motor has about 10 hours only but a lot of down time.New $800 my cost $25 plus 2 hours . BTSOOM !" Bob

Congrats!!! However, how many on this Forum would have believed the "mechanic" and walked away from a perfectly good engine? Also, some great advice by Belize in re: outboards. This is CF working at its best! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:08   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
.............. I'm no mechanic but the motor was deemed a' write off' by Yamaha Service because the cost of cleaning was close to new price. ...........
Are you sure you understood what they were saying? Cleaning the carburetor was close to the cost of a new motor? Or close to the cost of a new carburetor? Close to the cost of a new carburetor sounds more realistic.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:55   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"I'm no mechanic but the motor was deemed a' write off' by Yamaha Service because the cost of cleaning was close to new price. Motor has about 10 hours only but a lot of down time.New $800 my cost $25 plus 2 hours . BTSOOM !" Bob

Congrats!!! However, how many on this Forum would have believed the "mechanic" and walked away from a perfectly good engine? Also, some great advice by Belize in re: outboards. This is CF working at its best! Good luck and safe sailing.

Probably enough buy that line and just buy a whole new engine from the same dealership to make it worthwhile!

Then instead of just a $50 carb cleaning job, they've sold a brand new engine, and got a perfectly good one to clean up and resell.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:46   #23

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
Get a rebuild kit. Have access to a air compressor. Use carb cleaner and blow it in all the holes. Then blow them out with plenty of psi.
I second the need for plenty of air pressure, take it to a mechanic and have them blow it out if you don't have the equipment. I just cleaned mine out with canned air and it improved but did not completely solve my problems. There's no point in taking it apart if you're not going to really get it clean.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 14:05   #24

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

My 2hp Yamaha got wet when the dinghy flipped, after cleaning, spray everywhere with wd40 it worked a couple of weeks then, not. I pulled it apart, had to make special pullers, eventually found failed big end bearing. Sent it to local guy, cost $250, for his task of splitting the crankshaft and reallignment of same. Wouldn't have bothered if I new o/b was already 14 yo.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard