Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 00:53   #1

Opinion please on a possible boat

Good day,

I am currently heading up a research group where we develop methods and algorithms to detect, classify and track cetaceans using passive acoustic monitoring, i.e., we only record dolphin and whale sounds. We mainly work in False bay, near the Cape of Storms/ Good Hope....

After a lot of deliberation, I settled on using a sail boat rather than a motor boat, mainly due to fuel costs, and also due to engine noise while recording sounds.

Currently, we have a 26 ft Beneteau First. It is an awesome boat, and sails like a dream (in my opinion). However, the Beneteau is a bit small, with 3 people the cockpit starts to get cramped.

I would like to upgrade to a bigger boat. Our main requirements would be:

1. Safe boat - I might be taking students with, so safety is the biggest factor

2. Easy boat to sail short handed, must be able to be sailed with 2 persons.

3. Deploying dipping hydrophones from the boat - a single element connected to a wire that is about 9 - 15 long, which records sounds in the sea. Works better the deeper it is suspended.

4. Deploying temporary moored sensors or floating sensors and collecting them later on

5. Deploying towed arrays and tow them behind the vessel.

6. Do extended trips of 2 - 4 days.

Unfortunately, our budget is limited. What would your thoughts be on the following boat, regarding the points mentioned above:

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-yachts-s...90910058568609

My concerns:

1. The steel hull do add complications, but we have welders in our workshop for which the labour would be free.

2. The high free board of the ketch is worrying me, especially when we need to retrieve sensors. I wonder if adding a "suger scoup" at the stern would solve that problem.

3. The engine is very small for a 10 Tonne vessel, I believe a 55HP would be better.

Your suggestions, thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated
Jaco
Jaco Versfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:51   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Opinion please on a possible boat

I'm biased... however....

That gumtree boat looks a bit on the far side of unsuitable.... the mizzen will be nothing but an ongoing pest.....

There are number of Westerly Oceanlords on the market at any given time... they- like everything else boat wise - are slow to sell just now... https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...nlord-3532591/
OK they are in Europe or the Carib... sounds like a good excuse to go sailing to me.

Nice wide stern and a good quarterdeck for your purposes

View of the quarter deck on my boat and a couple of whales.... a blue with calf in Golfo Corcovado and the back end of a humpback in Canal Beagle last year when there was big krill influx... along with lots of humpbacks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	197524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	197525  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0189.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	197526  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:14   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Opinion please on a possible boat

Have to agree with El P about the steel ketch. The mizzen and its rigging will take up space in the cockpit and aft so that it will seem smaller than the Beneteau. Everything being steel, it will all be HEAVY and slow, and continuously rusting. Ugly, too, and a mess below decks. Not a lot of sailboats on Gumtree. There is a Van de Stadt which might be suitable: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-yachts-s...00910260054709 . It is bigger than your Beneteau and the cockpit seems big enough. Van de Stadts generally sail well, though this one’s hard chines might impact that somewhat. The price is right, but not much information in the ad about the condition, construction, or other details. Those factors could be why the price is where it is. It would probably be a good idea to keep looking.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease