Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 09:55   #1

OE32

I never heard much about this design by Olle Enderlein before despite it being one of the model eligible for the Golden Globe Race.
Displacement/length wise it is one of the lightest long keel Colin Archer type of double ender I've seen, interior wise they look better than Taiwanese boats made in the same period (Tashing, Tayana, Hans Christian), but they are owner finished?
Anyone here have any experience with this model of boat, any potential problems one should look up for?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:17   #2

Re: OE32

Hi !
I am owning a OE 32 !
Let your questions coming!

Mine is owner finished.

bad ass boat!
Cheers
Manfred
faustfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 13:11   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Being eligible for the Golden Globe Race does not mean a boat is necessarily well-suited for ocean sailing. It means it is an old design. That was one of the criteria for acceptable entries. Newer boats need not apply. Many of the boats in the GGR seem to have had problems because they were so slow that they got caught in bad weather that newer, faster boats would have been able to avoid. The old designs were difficult to manage in those conditions and sustained damage. Beware of GGR hype and PR spin.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 19:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustfleet View Post
Hi !
I am owning a OE 32 !
Let your questions coming!

Mine is owner finished.

bad ass boat!
Cheers
Manfred
Been looking for one a while ago, but due to the extended corona, I'm not sure if I am on the market now.

Are the mast deck or keel stepped?
How do they compare in terms of speed to heavier fin keel, say like Valiant 40 type of design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Being eligible for the Golden Globe Race does not mean a boat is necessarily well-suited for ocean sailing. It means it is an old design. That was one of the criteria for acceptable entries. Newer boats need not apply. Many of the boats in the GGR seem to have had problems because they were so slow that they got caught in bad weather that newer, faster boats would have been able to avoid. The old designs were difficult to manage in those conditions and sustained damage. Beware of GGR hype and PR spin.
I am understand what you are saying, I am just interested in the boat since it seemed to be the most "modern" of full keel design boat.
Lighter displacement etc.
I wasn't looking at it because of GGR but it list most of the full keelers under 40 feet.

These boats seemed hard to come by outside of Germany and Scandinavian countries.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 00:03   #5

Hi all,

the mast is keel stepped. I don't now speed potential of a Valiant 40.
I have a camber spar head sail system and a standard main.
6,5 knots is hull speed. i can reach this in force 4bf. In force 6bf i reached 7,5 knots heading towards the wind. I think psk125 is right in general. There are also downsides of the long keel, heavy displacement designs. but i love them.
faustfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 00:06   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42e

Olle Enderlein is one of Sweden most famous boatbuilder. I have owned two boats that he designed (both Hallberg Rassy, which he designed all boats for untill early 1990).

In Sweden there are many OE on the market and they have many very satisfied owners. But make sure the example you are looking at is well built.
Mr.Feeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 00:20   #7

Boat: Looking for a cruising yacht

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I found an 1980 OE 32 for sale (online, but not too far away). It has teak decks but they are tired. Does anyone know what the OE 32 decks are made of? solid glass? balsa core? glass over ply?

Also, I'm not afraid of a project but is removing the teak too hard for for a DIYer?

Cheers, David
tewharaunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 02:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 08:21   #9

Boat: Looking for a cruising yacht

Thanks GordMay! I’ve followed so many conversations on CF over the years, I was a bit surprised I hadn’t signed up earlier (and forgotten)…
tewharaunz is offline   Reply With Quote