Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 18:02   #16

Re: Oceanis 473 or Ocean Star 51.2

I'm thinking it has to do with displacement to water length ratio. A 473 is 128.72 whereas a Fraser is 285.66. Equipment differences aside as I have found ones very similarly equipped

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:03   #17

Boat: Beneteau

When we moved up I chose the Beneteau for the comforts. The way I see it is that this is my home when I am aboard and it offered the best for the money. She was also reasonably fast and that I also like.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:33   #18

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

before all else I will say this. NEVER "settle" on a boat without having set foot aboard it. a particular model? sure, but never a particular boat. I say this because too often people will decide on a boat sight unseen and when they do see the boat in person they have on the proverbial "rose colored glasses" and are either unable or unwilling to see/acknowledge problems. keep and open mind and be honest with your broker about what you're after and what you want to do with the boat.

yes. 47-51ft is a big boat for a beginner. and understand that even after your courses you will still be very much a novice sailor. there's no substitute for time on the water and time on the helm. while just going out sailing is nice you have to practice things like tucking and shaking a reef, keeping control in a gybe anchoring, both under power and under sail. heaving to etc. do it again and again and again. also docking, don't just get used to docking a certain way. learn to dock port side to, starboard side to, back in and out of slips. do it in strong winds, in currents, practice it in the dark. in the rain. I think you get my drift on this one.

the long and short of it is I think you're putting the cart before the horse as it were. learn to sail first. it will inform a lot about what you like in a boat. you may find that you're the type of person that prefers a faster boat in exchange for some creature comforts, conversely you may find that you put a premium on comfort and don't care how slow you chosen boat is.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 04:45   #19

Frozenhawaiian you make a very good point about rushing things. I don't plan on buying the boat for at least s year. I'll be trying to get as much experience as I can before then. Hopefully the Canadian dollar is a little stronger by then. I could just as easily buy a 32 hunter or so just to practice with and sell it when I'm ready to move up in size. Either way my time line is to set out in 3 years but if I'm not ready by then I will push my time line back. I admit when I first started looking at boats my eye was attracted to things like looks but not I'm looking for things like handholds, storage and ease of access to systems while keeping them simple as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
simplex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis