Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 12:55   #1

Boat: Sabre 34II
Northeast US yard recommendation for bottom job

Hi,

I need a full bottom work done on our boat before next season and I am looking at options of storing the boat for winter at a yard that can do the job. The yard where I stored the boat last winter quoted me ~2500 just for sanding down to gel coat, the thing is, I don't even know what a reasonable cost of a bottom job is, please enlighten me. I know it's hard to find a place that will allow me to do the work myself - if there is a place that can take care of sanding for me and let me apply primer and paint that will be great. Even if they won't allow me to do anything on the bottom I need a DIY yard as I have a couple of other projects I need to finish during winter. I prefer Long Island Sound but can take the boat to northern NJ or Hudson if necessary. If you have had a favorable personal experience at a place please let me know, I am looking for honest and professional work, not a rip-off.

Thanks.

P.S. I searched the forums for a similar topic but couldn't find one, if someone comes across one please post a link and I will have the mods close this thread
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 16:05   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Northeast US yard recommendation for bottom job

While I love DIY, one thing I would highly recommend to the trades is the total bottom work. It very much depends on the number of old coatings you have, former barriers etc. It may be faster and easier to look for a yard that does (or call in) a soda blast - or better, glass beads blast that will finish a rough enough gelcoat for better adhesion of the new primer. This should cost around $2K or a little less. They should be able to finish the job in one day. If you have an iron keel, be ready to prime it with at least two coatings (the recommended for an iron keel is 5 priming coatings) immediately after the blast as it will start to rust within hours...

I’m not that familiar with boatyards in the LI sound but absolutely sure there are good places that will allow you to work on your own.
Old 28-08-2020, 20:12   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This is a great DIY yard, I’ve been here since 2007.
Spicer's Marina
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 20:35   #4

Boat: Columbia 50

Jim,
I just looked at spicers on the charts....shows really shallow, and no marked channel. What’s the word?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 20:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
While I love DIY, one thing I would highly recommend to the trades is the total bottom work. It very much depends on the number of old coatings you have, former barriers etc. It may be faster and easier to look for a yard that does (or call in) a soda blast - or better, glass beads blast that will finish a rough enough gelcoat for better adhesion of the new primer. This should cost around $2K or a little less. They should be able to finish the job in one day. If you have an iron keel, be ready to prime it with at least two coatings (the recommended for an iron keel is 5 priming coatings) immediately after the blast as it will start to rust within hours...

I’m not that familiar with boatyards in the LI sound but absolutely sure there are good places that will allow you to work on your own.
Thanks a lot.

Keel is lead but the metal was showing in some spots after the last paint, there was absolutely no primer and I think the exposed lead may be eating my zinc.

I will have to look up glass beads blast.
Old 28-08-2020, 20:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Spicer's Marina
Thanks Jim, I will call them in the next few days and inquire. Do they have pros who do bottom job? I mean, my yard has 2 or 3 guys that do everything, when I asked them specific questions about the bottom they didn’t sound that knowledgeable - that’s why I prefer someplace else.
Old 28-08-2020, 20:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Jim,
I just looked at spicers on the charts....shows really shallow, and no marked channel. What’s the word?

Matt
Matt, it seems they have enough water and the channel is well marked, take a look at the attached navionics screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5048B01-8FE8-4D80-9C08-891762DD9BB4.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	222184  
Old 29-08-2020, 05:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Spicer's Marina
And you're not out of the yard yet?
(That was a joke)

Ah! Such fond memories of Noank... My dad used to have a Gulfstar 43' that he kept in Noank.

Is the BeeBee Dairy still in Mystic? We used to stop there en route for 6 chocolate milkshakes and 6 breakfast specials!

What about Abbotts?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 06:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
And you're not out of the yard yet?
(That was a joke)

Ah! Such fond memories of Noank... My dad used to have a Gulfstar 43' that he kept in Noank.

Is the BeeBee Dairy still in Mystic? We used to stop there en route for 6 chocolate milkshakes and 6 breakfast specials!

What about Abbotts?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
The Dairy is closed...sadly.....Abbott’s is still serving thousands of customers each season.
Old 29-08-2020, 06:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Thanks Jim, I will call them in the next few days and inquire. Do they have pros who do bottom job? I mean, my yard has 2 or 3 guys that do everything, when I asked them specific questions about the bottom they didn’t sound that knowledgeable - that’s why I prefer someplace else.
They have on-site pro’s who could easily satisfy your requirements. When I stripped my bottom a few years back they took an interest in my work and freely offered advice and tips. In fact they made sure I mixed the barrier coat correctly and applied the coats at the proper time to ensure I did not have to sand between coats.
Old 29-08-2020, 06:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Matt, it seems they have enough water and the channel is well marked, take a look at the attached navionics screenshot.
Their Travelift is at the top of that screenshot. There is plenty of water for boats with 6’ draft. There are a few J Boats with 7’ draft in the marina but they have to watch the tide. As stated the channel is well marked.
Old 29-08-2020, 11:02   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

Other places worth checking might be:
Derecktor's, Mamaroneck
Norwalk Cove Marina, Norwalk
Captain's Cove Marina, Black Rock
Bridgeport Boatworks, Bridgeport
Brewer's Pilot's Point, Westbrook
Essex Boatworks, Essex
Noank Shipyard, Noank.
Some may not like owners doing their own work. Others don't mind, but you have to be careful about cleanup.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:24   #13

Further west, I recommend Barron's on City Island, but they may be full up.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 14:27   #14

Boat: Catalina 36

A hearty second on Spicer's . I know you are also price shopping as well. Here in Florida a bottom job to strip a 36 wing keel Catalina last year went like This; $1600.00 for a full strip down to the gel coat including clean up using glass beads. Then, $1800.00 for three coats of barrier paint and three coats of Micron CSC.
$3300.00 total job costs on the west coast of Florida. Be sure your bottom guy has insurance as many yards will ask for proof of insurance - if the yard does not do the work.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 15:07   #15

Thanks guys for all the above options, I will start making phone calls next week. Honestly, if I find a competent yard I am not looking to do the job myself, only reason I had that option is I have heard of horror stories from fellow boaters where they cut corners and this is a big ticket item.

Questions: barrier coat and primer are the same thing? Does lead keel require special treatment compared with the fiberglass hull?

Tags
men