Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 12:01   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: New boat, Opinions on Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
You seem to like quality, roomy, spacious, center cockpits.
Have you seen the Morgan's? Not perfect but very sweet vessels.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1472&url=

Keely Peterson http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=3304&url=

Yep I love my center cockpits, the Kelly Peterson is nice, I have never been aboard one . Those two seats were the straight settee were, have to go , why would you do that ? It would have made a great sea berth . The Morgan has liners . I love a good stick built boat.

I was in Annapolis for the spring boat show and they had a couple of mid 80s Bristols there, a 47 aft cockpit and a 51 Center cockpit . I fell in love with there build quality Wow , inside every cabinet is tabbed to the hull , I love all that thick wood they use , every door closes with a thud, even after 30 years . Even a Hylas or a Taswell pales in comparison in my opinion . Old style ,,, yes ,,, but those Bristols just feel very yachty, I like that .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:53   #17

We just looked at a 1981 Bristol 40 in CT. The exterior was in amazing condition! The interior needed some TLC. The boat was dry and well cared for. They are asking $74,900.

We were told Bristol yachts are typically smaller inside than other sailboats of similar length and found that to be true with this one. The boat is heavy and there's not much sail on her. But dock neighbors said she's very comfortable.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:17   #18

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Bristols are very nice boats but I agree with everyone this one is way over priced especially having damage.

The older Bristols designated 34, 32 etc are less beamy and roomy than the dot boats ie 27.7, 43.3.

They are tanks though for sure.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:09   #19

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have had my Bristol 41.1 for 14 years. It is just a solid, well built boat. With the aft cabin, it is a very livable boat. We moved up from a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37, another well built boat that we cruised for almost 10 years. The Bristol is worth refit after refit as it ages. It is very comfortable in a seaway, and at anchor, there is pride in ownership. It's one of those "they don't build em like this any longer." You feel like you are in a proper yacht. As far as the one you are looking at, let your brain make the decision, not the heart.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 14:27   #20

Boat: Looking...

Bristols are great boats - well built, lovely to see, and fast. I had a Bristol 35.5c (the decimal point boats are 2d generation designed by Hood with Dieter Empacher) and they are true quality. The 43.3 is the same hull as the 41.1. They changed the deck mold to allow for the centerline double aft. Read all the reviews. No one has anything bad to say about them. There are some bargains out there now.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 05:37   #21

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Just as an update, after all our shopping we did get ourselves a beautiful new to us Bristol 45.5 . The more I crawl around the boat the more I am impressed . They don't build them like that any more , unless you spend an exorbitant amount of money of course.
The boat surprised us with her speed and sea kindliness , achieving 8 knots easily on a beam reach with Genoa alone in about 16 knots of apparent wind sailing up the Chesapeake . Never pounding and always feeling secure.

As said before, these boats are "Proper Yachts"

Take a look at the photos in my album .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 06:46   #22

Boat: Looking...

You are so right - they are great boats from all angles. The challenge with many boats is finding one that has been well cared for, but Bristol owners seem to be folks who can afford to spend the money to keep their boats up - and love the boats enough to do so.

I'm looking for my next boat now. A 41.1 is high on the list, as I plan on doing some singlehanding.

Happy sailing!
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 06:52   #23

Pretty boat, happy sailing!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:48   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Just as an update, after all our shopping we did get ourselves a beautiful new to us Bristol 45.5 . The more I crawl around the boat the more I am impressed . They don't build them like that any more , unless you spend an exorbitant amount of money of course.
The boat surprised us with her speed and sea kindliness , achieving 8 knots easily on a beam reach with Genoa alone in about 16 knots of apparent wind sailing up the Chesapeake . Never pounding and always feeling secure.

As said before, these boats are "Proper Yachts"

Take a look at the photos in my album .

Regards
Happy sailing! Thanks for updating, good to know outcomes of these types of posts
Old 25-11-2013, 15:06   #25

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Just as an update, after all our shopping we did get ourselves a beautiful new to us Bristol 45.5 . The more I crawl around the boat the more I am impressed . They don't build them like that any more , unless you spend an exorbitant amount of money of course. The boat surprised us with her speed and sea kindliness , achieving 8 knots easily on a beam reach with Genoa alone in about 16 knots of apparent wind sailing up the Chesapeake . Never pounding and always feeling secure. As said before, these boats are "Proper Yachts" Take a look at the photos in my album . Regards
Congrats she looks like a beauty. Bristols are great boats and on my short list for the distant future. My little 24 was hands down one of the nicest handling boats of its size in sloppy seas.

Enjoy!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote