Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 18:00   #61

Re: Need advice on first sailboat purchase

I understand what you said. You underlined the importance of keel boat experience in ocean conditions, which is much more productive and essential for the learning process of a beginner sailor. That was your contribution to the discussion, and I value that - and agree with as well.

I was talking about a completely different matter. Here is what I was thinking. If I am not wrong, Steve and Doris Colgate were using some Solings with lowered performance at their Offshore Sailing School. The Colgates then provided the concept and specifications for Colgate 26, and Jim Taylor designed the boat. That was how Colgate 26 was born and replaced the Solings at Offshore Sailing School - according to my hearsay knowledge.

https://www.windcheckmagazine.com/ar...s-new-builder/

Colgate 26 provides a cabin for portable head, ice box, and optional sink. A great unsinkable trainer / Day Sailer, and something to spend a weekend on. Spade / tiller rudder, fin keel, fractional sloop - has a check for every beginner detail - just like the Soling but much more...

Personally, I don't feel ready for sailing a keel sailboat in ocean conditions yet. I think I'll, at best, enjoy a Hobie 16 for one more summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Agreed. You need experience to handle one solo.

The learn-to-sail/ASA 101 class at the club I belong to is conducted on Soling 27s. Beginners who learn that way get exposure right away to the choppy conditions of Boston Inner Harbor, which opens to the southeast sea breeze prevalent in the summer. A 27-foot daysailer with a 4.25-foot keel is a better bet for that than a laser.

Of course, the club also has staff at the ready to motor out in Whalers to save these new sailors when they get into trouble. Nice to have those.

But in general, and the point of my contribution to this discussion, is that I'd counsel anyone who wants to learn to sail in the ocean to learn to sail on the ocean. Or at least on a body of water that opens to the ocean. No better way to find out if you like waves, wind, and getting soaked in salt water.

Unless you are lucky enough to learn to sail on the actual ocean on a miniature cruiser because your dad is a fanatic. Then you don't know anything else.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 19:01   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IIRC the Soling does not have a self draining cockpit... or floatation. So, if a newbie sailor manages to swamp one, it sinks. Solings are good boats, but the Colgate sounds far better for the novice to experiment around in. But, what are the prices like? The ubiquitous Catalina 27 is commonly available, inexpensive and like the Colgate, has vestigial systems and accommodation... plenty for week long or more adventures.

And BTW, Stu's recall of his Cat 22 being unsuited for stays on SF bay conflict with mine, for we often spent days aboard and anchored out... and did a month long cruise in teh Canadian Gulf Islands with 2 adults and 2 smaller kids... with no marina stays at all.
Call it water camping if you must, but we called it a terrific vacation cruise.

Jim
Old 26-01-2022, 19:21   #63

Yes, yes, yes, I've forgotten to mention that Soling 27 isn't self-rescuing - she could be swamped and sunk, a great racer but not a forgiving trainer, I assume. Still, all hearsay info on my end.

I haven't come across a reasonably priced Colgate 26 yet. I've found a plenty of cheap Catalina 22s and even a couple of fairly priced Compac 23s...

I cannot see anything wrong with a Catalina 22 either, a very capable, versatile beginner keel sailboat; I love them.

Well, back to Hobie 16.
Old 26-01-2022, 20:07   #64

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IIRC the Soling does not have a self draining cockpit... or floatation. So, if a newbie sailor manages to swamp one, it sinks. Solings are good boats, but the Colgate sounds far better for the novice to experiment around in. But, what are the prices like? The ubiquitous Catalina 27 is commonly available, inexpensive and like the Colgate, has vestigial systems and accommodation... plenty for week long or more adventures.

And BTW, Stu's recall of his Cat 22 being unsuited for stays on SF bay conflict with mine, for we often spent days aboard and anchored out... and did a month long cruise in teh Canadian Gulf Islands with 2 adults and 2 smaller kids... with no marina stays at all.
Call it water camping if you must, but we called it a terrific vacation cruise.

Jim
Colgate 26 looks like a really nice boat. Like a Solar, only bigger and better.

This is why I have only one green square.

I surrender.

Jim, as one who spent much of his young life on a Bristol 22, I can relate.

Jacky, if I could take you out on a Soling to help mitigate the hearsay, I would do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.19.55 PM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	252017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.20.47 PM.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	252018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4598.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	252019   Click image for larger version

Name:	laura wins.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	252021  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 22:31   #65

Quote:
Jacky, if I could take you out on a Soling to help mitigate the hearsay, I would do it.

Now, that'd be so cool!
Old 27-01-2022, 00:07   #66

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post

Now, that'd be so cool!
Boston awaits you, Jacky.

The DMF Sailing Experience is always happy to take on board anyone who wants to go.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 27-01-2022, 03:29   #67

Quote:

The DMF Sailing Experience is always happy to take on board anyone who wants to go.
Get him to send you the picture of DMF helming through a bad squall with an extra foulie jacket over his head...

I love that picture!

Resourceful sawlty dawg is our DMF Sailing!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 06:51   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Get him to send you the picture of DMF helming through a bad squall with an extra foulie jacket over his head...

I love that picture!

Resourceful sawlty dawg is our DMF Sailing!

LittleWing77

hahaha M, that picture is my signatchah!

Always have two pairs of everything, I always say, and four pairs of shoes!

I hope you're doing well!
Old 27-01-2022, 15:21   #69

Quote:

Beautiful photos. You guys had a lot of fun. One day, I'd love to become a sailor, who can sail a Soling 27 like a pro. I'd rather be a master on a Soling 27 than a mediocre on a Colgate 26, just an opinion.

This coming summer, I'll be a Hobie 16 guy. In the next few years, as a first keel sailboat, I have a vague plan in my head: Something used with tiller / spade rudder (transom hung rudder is also ok), outboard motor, fractional sloop, deep fin keel, 20 - 25 ft, and cabin that contains portable head and ice box, nothing else to maintain.

I wish I lived close to Boston, such a gorgeous place.

Once a good friend of mine invited me over for a beer. I ended up living on his couch for two-and-a-half years.

Tags
Advice, boat, purchase, sail, sailboat